A Day at the Lake | Teen Ink

A Day at the Lake

December 18, 2010
By mariaa BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
mariaa BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Rise to the occasion, which is life


Jared Keller was the average German thirteen year old at the time. Blond hair, blue eyes, fair skin. Perfect in some eyes, but not to himself. His father is a Nazis, stationed in Budapest. He has no friends in his of Berlin. His only companion is his younger, Valentine. Even, she didn’t like him very much.

In July of 1944 and his eight year old sister were spending the time at their grandparents’ house in Frankfurt. One day, they both decided to go to the lake near the house. There are stories about that lake. Haunted stories. The stories all state that this young, British couple named Andrew Meeks and Alessandra Winnings drowned in that lake in 1914. And that their tortured souls are still there. Jared never believe those stories.

At the lake, Valentine was playing with her dolls, while Jared was starring at the sparkling, crystal-clear water. He found a pile of round, smooth, blue-gray stones. For his entertainment, he began to threw them at the relaxing water. The first one he threw did not go very far. So he threw another. Same thing. He threw another, and another He threw another, and thirty seconds later, it came skipping back.

His bright blue eyes widen. He turned to see his sister. She had put her doll down and looked up. Her eyes were wide as well.

“Andrew and Alessandra,” whispered Valentine.

“What are you talking about,” asked Jared.

“The ghost!! Peter and Adam told me about them…”

“Val, shut up! There is no such of ghosts. They just want to scare you,” he interrupted.

“But it’s true! It was Alessandra that threw that rock back to you! She loved to play with children like us,” she replied, worried.

“Val, that is a load of nonsense,” exclaimed Jared.
Valentine looked at him cold in the eye and said, “If it’s a load a nonsense, then why did that stone came skipping it!”

“That’s doesn’t mean anything,” he said.
But his thoughts were, wow this girl is serious.
But as he thought it, the air got much cooler and denser. Then dark, thick clouds came a nearly blocked out the vivid sun. And a white, thick fog came out of no where.

“See I told you,” yelled Valentine, triumphantly.

“That still doesn’t mean anything, Val,” he said. But he was getting an eerie feel around him.

“Whatever.”

Then they heard a low-key moan. And footstep! Valentine got closer to her brother. Then they heard voices. Almost like a conversation between a boy and a girl.

“Come on,” demanded the boy.

“No, I don’t want to,” argued the girl.

“Do you even had a clue of how much I’ve done for you,” insanely shouted the boy.

“I don’t care! I don’t want to! If you loved me enough, you wouldn’t make me!” the girl shouted back.

“That’s it!”
Then a terrifying shriek. Them the sound of a person getting pushed into the water. Splash! Then another. Splash! The traumatizing sounds of people drowning filled the air. Jared and Valentine looked at each other. And agreed on one thing and one thing only: run and forget we heard anything.

So they ran. Ran as fast as they could to Oma’s and Opa’s house. Forgetting everything about that lake, that conversation, everything. But they were not so sure. All they really knew was that Jared threw a stone and it can skipping back.


The author's comments:
I wrote this as a school project for Harris Burdick Mysteries, so I changed a few things in my story, and here it is!