Guess the Ending | Teen Ink

Guess the Ending

I thought it was only a book, I had no idea that my life would soon be in danger. It was a Friday. My family and I were all leaving for a road trip to Florida. I had just bought this awesome new book called “Guess The Ending.”  We started our road trip and everything seemed normal. I was more than excited to read my new book for the drive. I started reading a story about a young boy with two sisters and a brother. My sister Emma is 19, I am 17, my other sister Jessie is 13, and so is my brother Luke. They are twins. My moms name is Kim and my dads name is Anthony. The sun was beaming in the car, you could feel the sun touch your skin. There were no clouds to be seen, and there was just something good in the breeze. The sunlight danced on the pages of my book, the air conditioning keeping you at a perfect temperature. Little did I know my whole life would soon be changed. As I started reading this book I was really enjoying it. I got to about half way through the story once we got to our airbnb. I noticed that this book was very similar to some events that had happened in my life, this boy had the same birthday as me, the same number of siblings as me, and also the same age. My mom and my sisters have blonde hair and so did the girls in the book, although they did not have the same name it was very similar traits too, my mom loves to swim so does the mom in the book, she is also very outgoing and kind. My dad is super tall and that was one thing the book outlined about my dad. My sister and my brother look like twins but also look unsimilar enough that you would probably never know they were twins. They both had blonde hair and blue eyes. They were more similar in personality. They are both very fun and sociable people, we are all, always up for an adventure. 

“Hey mom, have you ever read this book… It’s called Guess the Ending?” I asked. 

“No.” She replied.

I laid down and continued reading, more and more things started to align with my life as I remember but I was now concerned because not only was this story starting to describe my life but I have no idea who wrote it. I looked for an author on the side, the inside, the front, back, everywhere! Still, I found nothing. I did not tell anyone because I did not know if it was true and I also did not want to freak anyone out. As I get to the ending of the book, the part of my life that I do not know. I end up reading that my sisters, brother, and I stop talking, we stop talking because I died. My mom and dad become miserable because they lost me and the family falls apart. According to this book I end up dying at some point on this vacation. I try to fall asleep but I can't. I lay up all night wondering how I can avoid something I do not know, how I can avoid someone I do not know. I am running my brain trying to figure out who would want to hurt me, if it was an accident, and who wrote this book? Was it them? Was it someone in my family? I woke up the next morning and everything seemed normal to everyone else but to me, I was so anxious, relaxed was probably the last word I would use to describe how I feel right now. My phone goes off.

*Group message: Family*

Mom: Are you guys all ready to go, we have a surprise!!

Jessie: No, not yet I have to finish getting ready. I just finished my hair.

Emma: Yep, almost done. Be down in a few minutes.

Mom: Okay, Jessie hurry.

I was just sitting and thinking to myself, do I go, do I stay home, what do I do?

Luke: I am ready, coming

Mom: Grant, are you ready??

Me: I am not feeling well. Do you want me to come?

Mom: Yes Grant, we are on vacation. 

I came down and ate my breakfast even though I felt like my stomach was turning, my head was pounding, I was so worried about the possibilities that the story was true and the worst part was I did not know exactly what day or how I even died. My dad told me that today we were going to go crab hunting for the first half of the day then we had a super nice dinner planned for later in the evening. Even though I was worried I went about my day like I was okay. We finished our day's activity and came home to start getting ready for dinner. We all left for dinner and my mom kept giving me looks, I think she could tell that something was wrong. 

“Are you okay? You have been acting weird since we left.”

“Yea i’m fine mom just not feeling good.” I said through my teeth knowing that I was genuinely so worried. 

Now that I got home and nothing has happened yet I was starting to ease up a bit. This morning we were going to the beach and I was worried, but excited. We left for the beach and we had planned to be there all day long. On the way there I was just imagining all the bad things that could happen to me and how I could avoid it and stop it. We get to the beach and we are walking down the sand to get out chairs, umbrellas, etc set up. I ran down to the ocean with my brother and sisters, the salty water was so refreshing but burning my skin at the same time, the sun was beaming down on me, and all I could do was sunscreen, fruit, and the water. I truly was amazing but there was still a small part of me that thought *What if?* I start to see my mom and dad come in but something grabs their attention. 

“SHARK, GET OUT OF THE WATER!!” My mom yelled.

“Grant, Emma, Jessie, Luke! GET OUT!” My dad screamed as he was trying to cuff his hands so we could hear him.

I was so confused because I could not hear them until I saw it. At this point my sister’s and my brother were yelling at me as I saw a large 6 foot shark. I start swimming but then realize this is what was supposed to happen, this is what was going to happen to me. As I try so hard to swim and escape it he still gets a bite on my leg so I try to punch his eyes and pull my leg out of his mouth. I got it and swam as fast as I could. I got to shore. I was so relieved because I had dodged it, and I am okay. Even though my leg was bleeding like no other and hurt so badly, the feeling of relief came over me and I just ran to my family and hugged them so hard because after this point I think I was supposed to have lost to that shark, and not made it to shore. Later that night I was in the hospital because of my leg, my family was there so I decided to tell them why I was so worried and on edge lately. They were very confused but I think ultimately they were glad that I was okay and that whole story was over. We were all sad that we had to go home though, we were looking forward to vacation. We never really found out who wrote the book, but maybe it was just a coincidence or maybe I was really supposed to die. Everyone thought I was crazy until I walked into the house and they all decided to read it just out of curiosity. They suddenly started to be worried and wonder who wrote this, why it was written, and if there is more to come in the future for my family and I.

I wrote this because I really enjoy this kind of genre. I also was given a prompt for this story.