The Girl Who Could Read Minds | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Could Read Minds

By NickCutaia0302 BRONZE, Rochester, New York
NickCutaia0302 BRONZE, Rochester, New York

I’m entirely convinced a mind reader is in my class. Her name is Noell, and I don’t think she likes me much. I don’t blame her since she can see my thoughts. You would see me differently if you knew what I thought when I got bored. 

My theory was sparked on a day similar to every other. I was growing bored in class and daydreaming about anything and everything, thoughts drifting through my mind spontaneously and leaving as fast as they came. A quick but disturbing thought crossed my mind, insignificant because I do not remember it now, but still disturbing nonetheless. My eyes drifted around the room and landed on Noell staring at me with disgust. Our eyes met and she quickly turned her head. Now I don’t know if she was disgusted at my appearance, which is also very likely, or if she saw what was in my head. 

When I was younger I read this really cool book about a dragon who could read minds. She was shy and quiet and suffered from the overwhelming amount of thoughts pouring into her head as she attended dragon school. Noell kind of reminds me of her, both quiet and shy, liking to keep to themselves, and clearly having something going on in their heads that troubled them. The similarity between the two was shocking, but I quickly pushed the idea out of my head and replaced it with a meaningless thought to lose her interest in my thoughts and move on. 

I don’t know why, but I wish to prove my hypothesis correct. I wish to trick Noell into revealing her secret. I only think about my plans at home in the shower to be sure that she will be out of my mind in case she can read thoughts from long distances. The only idea that I can think of is too risky to try because it would cost me my best friend who I wish not to lose. I will keep thinking about how to outsmart Noell, despite it being an almost impossible task. How can I outsmart someone who can read my plans and outplay them? Surely she must be very smart if she has been reading minds all her life. I never thought of  Noell as intelligent, but it’s very possible she is hiding her true knowledge. Maybe she actually isn’t smart and is reading minds to cheat on her school work? I do not know. I will work on ways to test the power once I determine it is real. 

As for now, I shall continue planning and plotting. I will hide my thoughts whenever I see her. I’ve trained my mind to go blank when in the presence of Noell. Hopefully, she doesn’t already know my plans. There’s a chance that she is reading my mind as I write this and collecting all the information I know. I need to be more careful. 

Honestly, it is terrifying to sit next to her every day. The teacher moved the seats around a few days ago and I got stuck with her. I’ve experimented with different ways to protect my thoughts but I can never be sure my methods work or not. All I know is that I get a headache whenever I try to close my mind off from the outside world. 

It’s ironic how whenever I don’t want to think about private and personal things they pop into my head completely against my will. Then I’m just exposed, my secrets on display for Noell to see. I really need to figure out how to stop her. 

Maybe I can start scaring her into revealing her secrets or lure her into a false sense of security to draw it out of her. I’ve got it! I’ve figured out how to capture the mind reader! I’ll seal off my mind forever, constantly bar my thoughts from Noell’s prying ears. She will notice my immunity eventually and grow curious and try to figure out how I’m doing it. Then after a while, I’ll start letting my guard down for purposely placed thoughts to slip through, revealing my “attraction” to Noell. Then I will ask her on a date and she will say yes because she will see it as an opportunity to get inside my head and figure out what’s going on. Once I’ve dated her for a while, I’ll start revealing to her the secrets that I’ve accidentally thought about to see how she reacts. This will show if she has seen those secrets before. Based on her reaction I would confront her about the mind-reading and force her into confession! I see no way this plan could fail. It is fool-proof! Even if she rejects me that would prove she knew my plan and that she thinks she is outsmarting me! She can’t win. No matter her choice it confirms my suspicions. Oh, I feel like a villain! I’m a supervillain with my genius brain. Truly no other person could come up with a plan this brilliant! 

It’s over, Noell, you’ve already lost.

My inspiration for this piece was a girl in my class who I was convinced could read minds. I believed this for a week and finally wrote it down in a story then moved on. It is probably my best piece so far and my favorite thing I've written. 

The short story is about a boy who believes his classmate is reading his mind and tries to develop a plan to trick her into revealing her secret.