The soda | Teen Ink

The soda

I’m relaxing on the sofa watching tv as I always do in my lonely home.  I turn on the lights and put on the hot air to make me feel more comfortable.  My lonely house is filled with decorations left behind by my passed wife.  I miss her...  

Anyway, I’m watching my favorite anime, Akame ga kill, it’s a sad but suspenseful anime I’ve watched 100s of times. 

It fills the void of sadness I feel every day.  I reach my arm to grab my phone from the coffee table to check what time my pizza will come.  Pizza is my comfort food, you know, it’s soft and warm, my favorite kind is plain cheese pizza, I like things simple...  I looked down as I reach and noticed a soda.  

Did I grab that? I’m not sure.  It’s a sprite, which isn’t really my favorite soda.  I do have a few cans left in my fridge.

Whatever I guess I’ll drink it.  I have no reason to be picky.  I feel something off in the air as I lift it from the coffee table.  I shrug it off because I could just be paranoid.  I tend to overthink things a lot.  I grab the soda and slowly sip from the tiny open gap of the can. 

Refreshing I say to myself.  I haven’t had sprite in a really long time, not since she passed.  

Suddenly, there’s clanking coming from the kitchen. I live alone so I’m used to hearing weird noises, but this is different.  I slowly get up and sneak on my toes to the kitchen.  I see the lights are on from this side of the living room corner.  

As I creep up to the entryway, CLANK, the sound of a can of soda hitting slamming against the kitchen wall alarms me.  The soda can barely miss my shoulder. I quickly look up and anxiously look around. I see a bloody ghost.  I start to feel dizzy. I start shaking... Is this... Is this reality? I question myself.  “You couldn’t save her, you never helped her, so now you’ll face the consequences.” Those are the last words I ever heard.

I thought this was an interesting story that I wrote.