Her Name | Teen Ink

Her Name

A screech echoed… John woke up. Everything around him was dark. He slowly got up and peered into the kitchen. The creaky sounds of the heater filled him with anxiety. He turned on the light, and CLICK, the light turned back off. He fiddled with the switch for a second, and as he looked out the window, there was no natural light. It was totally dark. He heard a sudden scream from outside. Running to the front door, he saw a blue high heel in the middle of the driveway. He darted over to pick it up, and the name ‘Marie Brown’ was written on the pavement in what looked like chalk, but he couldn’t erase it. Scraping his foot against the ground, he wondered what in the world was happening. Suddenly, John heard an ambulance siren. Running into the street, he saw a  stethoscope on the ground. The name ‘Will Crockett’ was written on the ground, just like Marie’s. At once, the sky turned blood red. Looking down, he saw a hole in his sock. He looked back up at the sky, and a red gumball hit his head like a bullet. Picking it up, he saw “Dubble Bubble” on it. His face displayed a portrait of confusion, but as he tried to work things out, his eyes opened. Everything was light.

A doctor strutted into the room and said, “Hello, John, my name is Dr. Crockett. You--.” 

John cut him off and replied, “Hey! I know you. Your name was written on the ground!”

Doctor Crockett replied, “John, please, you have been hit by a car. The woman who hit you left her car and hit you with her high heels, causing a major fracture. You lost a lot of blood, and when the ambulance brought you in, you looked like a big red gumball. Haha!” 

John was in utter shock. Staring at his face, he told Doctor Crockett, “I think I know the name of the person who might have done it...” 

My name is Evan. I play the trumpet for the school marching and jazz band. In my free time, I play basketball, soccer, and spend time with my friends.