the funeral | Teen Ink

the funeral

You fidget nervously as you wait in line to pay your respects at the funeral. When you reach the casket, the face of the woman standing next to it changes… her face looked sad, maybe even depressed but it changes. She starts to look like she is getting older, everyone is. My mom, my dad, and all my family members, but why am I not “changing” they fall to the ground and then get up and start moving towards the casket. The “beings” form a large circle around my dead grandfather, and it looks like they start do I a ritual or something. They say something in a completely different language. It doesn’t even seem to be from this planet!

“come over here…” I hear from the dressing room behind me. I dart over there and see my cousin Blake.

“I thought everyone was a creature, or whatever they are.

“nah, I was in the dressing room while there was a big line so I didn’t have to wait.”

“lucky, my mom made me go up there.” I try to think to my self why and how this could be happening. I make an imaginary list in my head that was kinda something like this…

“imaginary space aliens

Someone has mind controlling powers.” And that’s how far I got before Blake cut me off.

“ALLEN! What are you doing, we have got to fix this.”

“okay, okay, okay. If we want to fix this at all we need to get a better look.” I start to search for a place to search for another room or hiding place.

“I think I see one.” Blake remarked quietly.

He takes me over to the place but the only thing is its across to funeral home… we make a silent sprint for the little corner. when we were almost there we think we get noticed, but we didn’t. our hearts were pounding, almost popping out of our chests. As we witness the ritual happening right before our eyes! We try seek out on what’s in the middle of it. We notice that is our grandfather! Blake, being his energetic self raises his voice saying

“OMG IS OUR GRANDFATHER!” I quickly put my hand over his mouth,

“ssshhhhh! You’re going to get us caught!” I look back over to the circle and I notice my aunt turn around and look at were we camping out. She turns back and next think I know it there is a mob of family members coming towards us slowly.

“See! Look what you did!” Blake, and I make a dart for the exit…

As we dive for the door my mom grabs my leg. I kick her hand off me. The arm came of her torso, I grab the arm, it was stiff like a stick. As we get to the street the arm tries to crawl out of my grasp. Blake slaps it out of my hand and stomps on it but right before the third stomp it crawls away back to my mother.

“let’s go left!” I remark.

“okay! Let’s get a move on it then.” We go passed the apple market, the toy store, and the laundry mat. Once we get to Blakes house we go instantly to the basement, knowing that his dad has a weapons room down there. Blake didn’t tell me that there was a lock on the door, so no one would get in there…

“Blake, you have to know the code, don’t you?”

“well, my dad told me but I sort of forgot it.?”

“omg, Blake we need to get in there right away, is there any crowbars around here?” we both look for one all across the basement, but no luck. But while searching I saw this odd-looking bottle that said “sub temp burner.” At first, I was like what is that, but then I realized that it probably could freeze the lock and it would kind of crumble.

“Blake look what I found.” Me showing him the bottle.

“what even is that. A Febreze bottle.”

“no, it’s a thing that can freeze stuff. So maybe we can use it on the lock.” We go over to the lock, keep in mined this can probably freeze a limb of.

“its works! Haza!”

“Blake, calm down, its not that big of a deal.”

“so being eaten alive isn’t a big deal.”

“ok, I see your point…” we run into the weapon room we mainly see assault rifles but we don’t have a license for that so we are probably going to use melee weapons. We both get a pocket knife. Not the best choice of weapon but it will work. Thirty minutes pasts by and nothing has tried to get into the house.

“nothing is happening. I’m bored.”

“so, you just want to roam around the neighborhood, with a pocket knife and blood thirsty “things” out there.”

“I mean…...”

“its no Blake.” After a few more minutes passes by, and we a noise from the bathroom upstairs. We keep an eye out for any trouble on the way to it, nothing is there. We enter the bathroom to see a man on the floor tied up, but it’s not just any man it’s my crazy uncle Clyde. He’s shuffling on the ground and trying to escape the force of the course rope around his body. We take out the cloth that is in his mouth to see what he has got to say.

“HELP MEE!” it sounds like he is saying so we untie the rope. His head starts to shake vigorously.

“get me out of this filthy body, you peasant!”

“Clyde, hello, anyone there?”

“I think he’s gone Allen.” Clyde has gone, but this isn’t over yet, we both check outside to see if anything is coming.

“I think I see something in the distance, Blake.”

“here are some binoculars, you can see further with them.

“thanks.” When I look them, I see a horde of “things” coming. We get backing to the house to check on Clyde.

“he’s gone?”

“but where too?” Blake goes upstairs and I check the main floor.

“Allen, you might want to come check this out.” I go up to the room Blake is in, and all I see is a wall with a skull on that says “Beware!” in red ink on the skull’s forehead. We both feel a slight breeze giving us both goosebumps.

“do you hear that?”

“hear what?”

“I think they are here.” We go down to see that they are banging on the front door. We take out our pocket knife even knowing they would have no effect against them, but we try. I take a slash at my aunt Jamie, no effect. we try to make a dart back inside to plan, but Blakes leg gets caught on a tree root. He tries to get is foot unstuck, but before he can on of the things comes up behind him and bites him… he has turned into one of them! He comes for me and finds a way into the house before I have enough time to create a plan. me, knowing he is in the house with me puts a shiver down my spine, but I fight through it. He jumps up behind me and takes a bite…

“AAAHHH!” I lean up in my bed in an instant.

“was it a dream, what was it? My mom comes in my room and tells me to calm down.

“what’s wrong dear?

“I had a dream, an odd one.”

“well what was it about.”

“I’d rather not say.”

“are you sure?”

“no, I was in the funeral home for our grandfather and everyone turned into some random creature, and started coming after me and Blake.”

“that’s odd, your grandfather isn’t dead.” After the day at school my mom told me some news… my grandfather had passed away.