Empty | Teen Ink

Empty

May 13, 2019
By tshayes56 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
tshayes56 BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   I couldn’t breathe, I felt my chest going up and down. My legs started to give up, but I couldn’t. This man wants me dead, but I died a long time ago for he already killed me emotionally and mentally. But I must live to tell my story to let people that this man is not the golden boy that he plays to be. His father never tolerated me, so in his way of getting rid of me, he bound accusations of collusion against me. Now, I’m running for my life, because of hinted treachery.
  My love life is probably a sick parody of Romeo and Juliet, with my so-called husband trying to kill me. I have been running for a good fifteen minutes with no destination. Maybe I should give up? Maybe I deserve to be in forever peace? Maybe I- My thoughts were interrupted by a sharp pinch on my toe. I looked down and see in my snapping turtle. Its bites didn’t hurt, but I can’t keep running with a shell hanging from my foot. This is kind of funny in a way, but farce is over when death is near. I tried wiggling it off, but the little reptile has a good grip. I just going to must keep running with or without Snappy.
  I wish the tears would stop, but my eyes won’t let me. I thought this person was the love of my life, but he wants me dead. I love him. Snappy kept chewing, but now on my foot. He started snacking on my sinew, I couldn’t take it this pain. The muscular walls of the viscera and my heart kept beating rapidly, I think I was going into shock.
His footsteps are getting closer and closer. This is the end. He is going to kill me with his bare hands. Wait, this idiot is allergic to turtles. On our first date, we went to the aquarium and I wanted to swim with the turtles. But of course, a big macho man is allergic to the most ridiculous thing in the world. I use the little strength had and grab Snappy from his dinner. This is my time to finally get restitution. I make sure my back is facing towards him, so I can show my hidden weapon. I can feel his presence on my neck like he’s waiting to strangle me. I turn around with Snappy in my hands. He decided to run away, in fear of violent retribution.
I keep looking for him, but the sound of his footsteps is getting farther away. He’s too fast, well you do get supernaturally speed when you’re running for your life. I should know. I see a short stature wearing a black cape. “Sweetie, please take this.” I recognize that voice, it’s his mother. She gave me something wrapped in black cloth. “This is direct compensation.” her voice cracked. I wanted to oppose the acquisition of this foreign object, but she never gave me a reason not to trust her. I unwrapped the cloth and it was a gun.
  The man I thought was the love of my life, the man who told me he loves me, the man who told me he couldn’t breathe without me. The man that also choke me till he took my breath away, the man who isolated me from family and friends, the man who told me I wouldn’t be nothing without him has died. I’m sure God has forgiven my deadly sin for I am contrite for my actions. I felt terrible for doing wrong by my faith, I feel no genuine penitence for this man. I don’t feel no type of remorse for this monster. I just took an eye for an eye. For he has killed mentally and emotionally, so I killed him.
  I walked into my mother’s house with a blood-stained grown that was once white. My mother was watching the news with complete horror on her face. “You did it,” she says above a whisper. I looked at her and shrug my shoulders. “Do you know what you just cause our family? My friends have been calling me canceling plans. The pastor told me don’t bother coming on Sunday. We are completely alienated because you can’t take a couple punches.” my mother always had a sharp tongue, but not like this. I knew I was going to get exiled or executed, by not by my own family.
  Although she hit below the belt, my mother was right. Yes, he beat the hell out of me, but does anyone deserve to die? Yes, he does, but at what cost. Granted, I wasn’t the best wife, but I didn’t deserve the horrible treatment, did I? I’m not promiscuous, but I am friendly. I cooked dinner every other day, maybe if I did it every day he probably would’ve been so angry. I been pregnant three times but have zero children. I failed as wife and a woman. I look in the mirror and I couldn’t even recognize this person. I always had the uncanny ability to make myself look like something I’m not. I don’t who this person is. I have a kind of eldritch shriek and punch the mirror. I need to get out of here.
  I want to kill myself. Just to end, it all stop my family’s suffering and give them a normal life. The number of righteous people in this community is few, so nobody takes a count the pain I been through, but the sin I commit. Oh, how I would miss his mother the only benevolent spirit I know. I took a deep breath and-


The author's comments:

  Thank you for taking the time to read my story and giving me this opportunity. This is a fiction story that involved dark themes. I was inspired by the movie, Kill Bill and complexity of the human mind. I want my story to raise questions about morals. Is it a right wrong or a wrong right?

Bio

  Taylor, a proud Texan is from the glamorize town of Dallas. She attended the School of Business and Management at the Townview Magnet. With her love for Texas, she decided to continue her studies at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. Only eighteen years old, she has mind set of becoming a Certified Public Accountant. Hayes favorite past times are writing essays, helping her little sister with cheer, and going to the skating rink.