Are You Comfortable? | Teen Ink

Are You Comfortable?

By KyleMaricle01 BRONZE, Peoria, Illinois
KyleMaricle01 BRONZE, Peoria, Illinois

Brinnnnggggggg ……. Brinnnnggggggg ……. Brinnnnggggggg ……. Brinn-........

“Hello?” answered Stephen.

“Yes, is this Stephen Yurkovich, age 67?” asked an ominous voice.

“Well yes, yes it is. Now if I may ask, who in which am I speaking to?” asked Stephen.

“That is beyond us now. Are you comfortable Stephen?” asked the ominous voice.

A brief silence struck the conversation.

“I’d really like to know who I’m talking to now please.” said Stephen with a more robust tone.

“Stephen, you must be very comfortable. You’re sitting on a 3 seater navy blue sofa that must’ve been imported. It looks very comfortable, how much did it cost you Stephen?” asked the ominous voice.

A second, longer silence struck the conversation.

“I’m not sitting on a blue couch, now tell me who this is before I call the police, you hear?” said Stephen with a much more angry tone.

“Oh my Stephen, feeling a bit angry are we? I think you must realize that this tone will not help you one bit Stephen. You answered the phone, that was your first mistake. Then you question my knowledge? Stephen I cannot believe you could be like this to me after all we’re about to go through.” said the ominous voice.

A third, even longer silence struck the conversation.

“Okay, I see one of us is choosing not to talk from now on, that’s okay Stephen. I’m sure you’re a very good listener. Regarding your current thoughts Stephen, you indeed do not know me. However Stephen, I very much know you in more ways than you could imagine.” said the ominous voice.

“That’s enough of this I’m hanging up and calling the police!” exclaimed Stephen with an angry tone.

Stephen hung up the phone with a vast amount of rage and dialed 911 as fast as he could.

Brmmmp...Brmmmp...Brmmmp...Brm-

“Hello? Hello?! I think there’s someone stalking my house. They called me and I-” exclaimed Stephen before suddenly being interrupted.

“Stephen, welcome back, glad you could join me once again. Your presence is always appreciated.” said the ominous voice.

“You….. how are you on this number? Why won’t you just leave me alone?!” asked Stephen with a much more terrified and shocked tone in his voice.

“Why would I Stephen? You’re just so interesting to me. Your blue eyes, your gray hair, and especially your magnificent personality. That is what keeps me so occupied on you Stephen. Also the whole 911 thing, your phone is old but not old enough for me to hack into. As I’ve said before Stephen, I know you in more ways than you can imagine. Well enough at least to know that you should be smart enough not to hang up on me again no matter what may happen through this phone call Stephen. As the consequences may be more severe than you could ever even imagine. Do you understand, Stephen?” asked the ominous voice.

“I suppose… just please just tell me what you want.” asked Stephen with a scared and weak voice.

“All I want now is your full and undivided attention. Can you do that for me Stephen? You were doing pretty good before you hung up on me.” asked the ominous voice.

“Sure, just please… hurry up and get whatever product you want to try to sell me out of the way” said Stephen.

“Thank you Stephen, I appreciate your hospitality. As far as selling an item goes, there is nothing I want to sell you other than a few moments of your time. Now, back to your couch Stephen. You are sitting on a navy blue sofa, and it’s important to me for multiple reasons. First, you bought it a total of 2 years, and 36 days ago. It was imported from Spain and took an exact total of 4 weeks and 2 days to deliver to your house. Your whole family was so excited for this purchase. Secondly, that couch has a small tear in it on the middle cushion. You have it flipped upside down to hide it. That brings me to my 3rd and most important reason Stephen. Your wife and kids died on that couch 1 year and 7 days ago Stephen….” said the ominous voice.

A long, strong, and tense silence struck the conversation.

“Stephen, I know you are gripping the phone now. You must be terrified that I know this knowledge. Here’s the kicker Stephen, I know how they died. A knife was stuck into each of their heads. Your youngest son, Jonathan, was killed on the left cushion. Your oldest son, Samson, was killed on the right cushion. Your wife, Jennifer, of course was killed on the middle cushion. However, she fought back against the killer and that’s where the tear comes from.” said the ominous voice.

“You… you…. You…. you murdered them didn’t you?! You son of a b-” yelled Stephen before being immediately interrupted.

“Why would I do such a thing like that Stephen?” asked the ominous voice.

“Tell me who you are now! Because I am going to call the police on my cell phone and have this call traced!” yelled Stephen.

“Trace this call Stephen, go right ahead. I will be fine, you however, will suffer the severest of consequences regardless. Would you like to know the 3 reasons why I didn’t murder them Stephen?” asked the ominous voice.

“I don’t need-” said Stephen before being interrupted once again.

“It was a rhetorical question, Stephen. Let me start with reason one, I never knew who you were until 7 days ago, Stephen. Reason two, I never knew your wife, and kids. Reason 3, I don’t have your blue eyes, gray hair or magnificent personality afterall. Because you murdered your family, Stephen. I’ve been studying you and the case ever since it reached 1 year in age. It came up again and I decided to delve more into it. It didn’t take but a mere 7 days but now that I know the truth. It’s very relieving to know that someone like you is caught. My name is Patrick Jane, I work for the California Bureau of Investigation and I’ve already got your whole house surrounded with multiple armed officers who are not scared to open fire if you do not comply with the orders they are about to give in the next 10 minutes.” said Det. Jane.

“Oh, and Stephen…. Are you comfortable?”.

I was inspired to write it from having a background love of the horror genre of movies. I tried my best to capture the nail biting tension of a short film or normal horror flick. 

InkyOwl GOLD said...
on Dec. 22 2018 at 1:05 am
InkyOwl GOLD, Bloomington, Indiana

Where Words fail, Music speaks.
~Hans Christian Anderson

LOVE the twist ending!