Silhouette | Teen Ink

Silhouette

November 16, 2018
By Kay BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
Kay BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Blood painted her lifeless body, her empty eyes fixed on the strange silhouette hidden among the shadows.  

Her eyes shot open. She was out of breath and was greatly disturbed by the nightmares she had been repeatedly having ever since her friend, Skylar died in a car accident. She sighed and thought about the sad and horrendous scene that she had witnessed. The scene had been haunting her in her dreams ever since.

She checked the time and rolled out of bed to get ready for school. Just like any other day, she went on with her daily routines.

Her ride to school was very strange. She had a queasy feeling in her stomach. She shrugged it off as her mom pulled up into the parking lot. She exited the car and walked towards the school entrance. The feeling in her stomach was getting worse.

She entered the school and walked up to her first period class. She twisted the doorknob and swung the door open.

As soon as she stepped inside, she came face to face with the person who she thought would never see again.

Her eyes widened, she was speechless. The person who stood before her was Skylar.

“Good morning Bailey.” Skylar greeted.

Bailey just stood there, stunned, not able to say a word.

“Y-You… H-how are you a-alive?!” Bailey stuttered out.

Just then, the bell for 1st period rang and everyone found their seat.

Bailey kept glancing at her, barely hearing the teacher announcing the pop quiz. She couldn’t concentrate and quickly scribbled some answers down. Bailey waited until Skylar got up to turn in her quiz, a few more students finished and Bailey turned in her quiz.

Throughout the whole day, she couldn’t focus. She avoided Skylar as much as she could.

She waited outside, her mouth dry and hands trembling in fear, anxiously waiting for her mom to pick her up. She then heard her phone ring, so she reached into her backpack and fumbled for her phone. When she read the text message from her mother, her heart dropped. Her mother was unable to pick her up so she needed to walk home.

Bailey started to walk towards her house. A few minutes later, she felt an uneasy feeling of someone following her. Beads of sweat was starting to form on her forehead, her breathing was getting rough. She started to walk faster and faster and faster. She broke into a run, her breathing getting heavier and heavier.

As she ran, many thoughts crossed her mind.

“Why did I do that?”

“How is she still here?”

“Why did I make a stupid decision?”

Tears started streaming down her face. Regret and guilt washing over her.

“Is she trying to get revenge?” All these thoughts attacked her.

Soon, she reached a shortcut, which was a big road she had to cross. She mindlessly started crossing. Her thoughts were interrupted by the loud honking of a car. She stopped at the edge of the sidewalk. Suddenly, she was shoved into the car’s path.

Blood painted her lifeless body, her empty eyes fixed on the strange silhouette hidden among the shadows.  


The author's comments:

I really enjoy writing fantasy and fictional writing. But my favorite thing in reading and writing are plot twists! I got many ideas from different books and movies, especially "The Sixth Sense" for this story. I really enjoed writing "Silhouette."