Subnautica: Exploring the Shallows | Teen Ink

Subnautica: Exploring the Shallows

By RandomReaper BRONZE, Riggins, Idaho
RandomReaper BRONZE, Riggins, Idaho

Once a gamer always a gamer

CHAPTER ONE

Darkness. All I heard was the hissing of smoke. The air was getting thicker and thicker. I could hardly breath. Then I realized the LifePod must be on fire so I opened my eyes. It was just a dream.

Just then I heard the speaker overhead.

“EVERYBODY EVACUATE THE AURORA NOW!” said the worried man that sounded like he was in his twenties on the mic.

I quickly ran to the nearest Life Pod, LifePod 12. I got into it as fast as I could. As soon as I got into it I pressed the release button and I went flying into the nearest planet 144567900124. The only problem, it’s a water planet. I looked through the window and saw other LifePods flying through space towards planet 144567900124.

I heard the CLUNK of a small meteor hitting the life pod I was in. I also heard an alarm saying that I was losing oxygen, FAST! I had to conserve my oxygen so I sat down and tried to think happy thoughts. Then I heard another clunk, clunk, clunk, and a panel in the pod, came off. It just so happened that the cabinet that held my med kit flew off, and bounced around the life pod, then hit me in the face.

CHAPTER 2

I woke up with sweat on my face thinking that I was surely underwater, but when I looked out the window surprisingly I was not. I was on a small bank of the planet 144567900124. I pushed open the top hatch of Lifepod 12 and saw some weird bird-like creature. It looked kind of like a flat fish. I sat on the top of Lifepod 12, looking into the distance, when I notice the Aurora.

“Dang.” I muttered, looking at the destruction of the Aurora. I thought in my head that I need to find food, power, and water. You may be thinking, well it's a water planet drink that, well I can’t, I need to be able to bottle it so I can drink it, I need to also filter it so I don’t die of Ebola or something like that.

CHAPTER 3

I went to bed hungry and thirsty that night. I woke up in a cold sweat, I could hardly breathe! There was steam filling the LifePod. I needed to get outside or open the hatch so I didn’t suffocate. I quickly jumped onto the top of the pod, took a deep breath, and yelled. What I saw before me in the water was terrifying, it looked like one of those old dinosaur-crocodile hybrids. I quickly jumped into my life pod and stayed awake the rest of the night.

CHAPTER 4

When I got up I went with my game plan to get power and food/water. I went in the hatch at the bottom of the Lifepod, but before I did I put on my diving suit and my goggles. When I went in the water I instantly saw fish swarm me, after that I shooed them away realizing I had just pushed the only food I’d probably get for a while. I went back into my life pod and grabbed the knife I had and went back out.

I saw what looked like a giant eyeball fish. I sliced it with my knife and it instantly died. I went back to my Life pod and cooked the fish in my fabricator, (because apparently fabricators can do that!) and ate gracefully as it had been the only food I’d had in two days. I thought in my head that I need to name this fish, so I named it Peeper.

CHAPTER 5

I left the LifePod, satisfied with the meal I just ate. I jumped back in the water in search of food. I heard a roar behind me and I saw the same dinosaur like thing I saw the night before. It seemed to be stalking me so I took out my knife and cut it across the face. It made a blood curdling cry and swam away growling. I decided to name it The Stalker.

“Well I have a new enemy!” I murmured when I came back out of the water to catch my breath. “Gotta keep an eye on him,” I finished before I went back in the water.

“Oh God!” I screamed as the Stalker came back and bit a chunk about the size of a golf ball out of my leg. Blood was going everywhere in the water attracting more and more Stalkers which kept trying to bite me. I kept defending myself by slashing and slashing my knife at them when I heard a roar in the distance. I thought “Well this the end of me.” But then the stalkers swam away like they were scared or something. I was safe, but not for long… I looked into the distance to see a GIANT snake like creature that was swimming at l they least fifty miles per hour.

“Well that was what they were afraid of!” I muttered as I swam back to my life pod as fast as I could

CHAPTER 5

I got back in as soon as the thing hit my Lifepod and made me fly thirty feet in the air. I was holding on for dear life yelling “Please don’t die! Please don’t die!” Then I hit the water with a splash and heard the giant creature swim away

“I think I am going to name it,” I started “It looks like a leviathan and it seems to only kill,” I continued “So I will name it Reaper Leviathan, I just hope I don’t run into it again!”

Demo, Full version coming soon-ish

Thanks to Jaren H. for making all of this possible