Complications | Teen Ink

Complications

May 24, 2018
By chloeullenberg BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
chloeullenberg BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There is a stepfather named Peter, the wife of Peter and mom of Zakk is named Jamie, and the stepbrother is named Zakk. They are currently separated.

SCENE 1
The garage door opens (entry). An Peter walking into the kitchen with a deep cough throws his keys on the table with the phone to his ear.
He takes a seat down at the kitchen table on an old wood chair.
He grabs the remote that was balanced on the stack of newspapers. He turns the t.v on, and the news comes onto the screen. He grabs a cigarette that also laid on the table with wrappers and other garbage. In the back there is a stack of dirty dishes. Cigarette is in his mouth.
There’s a voice still talking from the phone, but he sets it down on the table before they finish. 
He lits the cigarette *the lighter is heard* and lets it sit in his mouth while watching the news. *The news is heard at a low volume.* He laid back on the backrest of the chair He jolts from the phone that started ringing loudly on the table. He looks to see the name, grunts, and answers it.

A knock is heard on the door.

“It’s open.” *yells and rolls his eyes*

Dead silence.

Another knock is heard.
Peter gets up angrily grunting and opens up the door aggressively.

“Hi Peter.”

“Eh.” *Looks away*

“Mom said you need me to pick something up for her?”

“Yeah, it’s right in the garage in a body shaped garbage bag.”

Zakk’s face goes white.

“I’m just kidding.” *he laughs groggily*

“Where is she anyway?”

“Who, mom?”

“No Shirley Temple, you dumbass.”

“Sorry, she’s in the car.”

Peter brushes past him to go outside.

“Stop she doesn’t want to see you.

“Well what the hell why not?”

“She said it’s because you’re a dick.”

Peter grumble laughs and goes outside.  Zakk goes outside after him.

 

SCENE 2

The lights dim to represent night. The calendar in the room flips back a page to represent a month has passed.

Peter and mom walk into kitchen door. Table is clean, no dishes. The stepbrother is working on homework at the kitchen table.

Jamie : “What should I make us for dinner?”

Peter : “I don’t care. Whatever you think.”

Jamie : “Why do I always have to pick, can’t you make at least one decision in your life?”

Peter : “Making decisions never work out for me. For example, I married you.”

Jamie : “No dinner for you it is.”

Peter : “See what I mean? Decisions aren’t for me to make.” *fake smiles*

Jame : “If you’re so bad at making decisions I’ll make one for you.”

Peter : “And what is that.”

Jamie : *fake smiles and throws her arms up* “Let’s get a divorce!”

Peter : “hey, hey, hey that’s not what I meant.”

Jamie : “Well since your so bad at making decisions I’ll help you out.”

Jamie storms out the door with her car keys and purse.

Zakk : What the heck did you do to her dad.

Peter steps forward.

Zakk steps back in fear.

Peter : I’m not your dad. 

Peter leaves.

Zakk sits in shock and goes out the door.

 

SCENE 3

Calendar flips back, night become day to show present time shown in scene 1.

Car is running in the parking lot with Peter standing outside Jamie’s car window. Zakk is standing in front of the car watching Peter.

Jamie : This is why I got a divorce. Our relationship has no meaning anymore.

Peter is getting emotional. (Voice gets shaky).

Peter : I screwed up Jamie. I want to live with you again. I want to sit at the table and talk with you again. My…

Jamie cuts Peter off.

Jamie :  But it seemed liked that mattered to you Peter.

Peter : But it did. My house is a mess, my life is a mess, and I can’t function without you. I’m sorry and I will try to be better.

Jamie : You should have tried to be a lot better a long time ago. I’m moving on now. You are rude to my kid anyway.

Peter turns to Zakk.

Peter : Zakk I’m so sorry for being so rude to you. You are my son and I do care about you. I’m so sorry for all the s*** I gave you. You are a great kid. Really.
Peter has a tear run down from his face.

Zakk : Thanks Dad.

Peter has a big grin across his face.

Jamie : Peter I think we both need to move on for our own sanity. You need some time to figure out yourself because you’re all over the place.

Peter : I still wanna see you and Zakk.

Zakk gets in the car. (Passenger seat).

Jamie : And you will. You have my number and you have Zakk’s.

Jamie : Think about it and call me in a couple days.

Peter : Drive safe.

Jamie and Zakk leave.
Peter watches till they are down the street and he heads back in the home.

 

SCENE 4

Set in a grocery store in the cereal aisle.
Peter has clean clothes and slick hair.

Peter he picks up a box of cereal.

Jamie : Omg… Peter?

Peter drops the cereal box on the floor.

Peter : Jamie???

Peter runs and gives Jamie a gigantic hug.

Peter : How are things? How’s Zakk?

Jamie : Things are going well. Zakk is turning 18 this week.

Peter : Oh wow. He’s grown up. *Silence*. Things have been going better for me. I cleaned up the house and moved to an apartment… Got a dog.

Jamie: Good for you Peter. *Pause*. Ya know, uh I’m having a party for Zakk Saturday if you would like to come?

Peter : Uh um yeah of course! I would love to come. Thanks for the invite.

Jamie and Peter start to walk down the aisle.

Jamie : Awesome that can give us a chance to catch up to.

Peter : That sounds great!

Jamie and Peter walk into the next aisle.