The Babysitters | Teen Ink

The Babysitters

By ninabug SILVER, College Place, Washington
ninabug SILVER, College Place, Washington

I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
--Thomas Edison--

The Babysitters script
Scene 1

April: It all began on a cool August in New Hampshire. (Scene changes)
(April is walking and bumps into Avery. They don’t know each other… yet.)
Avery: Excuse me. (Flips her hair and rolls her eyes.)
April: (mumbles under breath) Sorry.
Avery: Yeah. You should be. (April raises her eyebrows as if to say really? Avery rolls her eyes and continues walking.)
April: You didn’t have to make such a big deal out of it. (Under her breath)
(Avery turns and glares. People walk past and so she pretends to be nice and she smiles.)
Avery: What did you say? (Sweetly)
April: Nothing…
Avery: Humph. (She exits.)
April: Drama queen. 
End Scene
Scene 2

(April is walking and she sees a babysitter poster on a tree.)
April: What’s this? (She takes it off and looks at it.)
Avery: You don’t know? Every year we do this babysitter competition. You will get the details when you come to put your name in the bowl. It’s in four days.
April: Okay…uh thanks.
Avery: You can also work in teams. You can be my partner. Okay?
April: Uh… I kind of want to work alone.
Avery: Well if that’s what you want. Suit yourself. Let me know if you decide otherwise. (Exit Avery) SCENE FADES

End of Scene

Scene 3

April: I think I’ll do this babysitters thing. I could use the money. How hard could it be?

End of Scene

Scene 4
(April is at a stadium looking place, with a bunch of girls.)

Announcer: Welcome ladies. Today get ready for the babysitter competition. For those of you who don’t know what this is I will tell you. If you want to be part of the competition put your name in this bowl here. (Points to bowl.) Come back next week for The Drawing. We will pick thirty different girls’ names. If you’re name is selected you are automatically a participant in the competition. The competition will be a series of tests that you will try to complete to be able to babysit…richer children for money. So if you would like to join please put your name in the bowl. (Girls put their names in the bowl.)
Avery: (to April) I see you decided to come. Have you thought about my offer?
April: Yeah. Have you done this before?
Avery: Mhm. I won two years ago. So can we team up?
April: Fine.
Avery: Awesome. I have two other girls that can help if we all are chosen.
April: Okay then. Bye. (Exit April.)
(Avery smiles.) Avery: My plan is falling into place perfectly.

End of Scene

Scene 5
The Next Week
Announcer: All right. Welcome back everyone for The Drawing. We will now pick thirty different girls’ names. Here to randomly pick the names is Penny.
Penny: Hello. Lets start. (Pulls a name out of the bowl.) The first lady is Rebecca. (As she pulls out the rest of the names she says them.) Next is…Alexa, Willa, Myranda, Kylie, Avery, Katrina, Piper, April, Yolanda, Natalie, Elizabeth, Sam. Oh I'm sorry. This competition is for girls only.
Girl in the Crowd: It’s short for Samantha.
Penny: Oh, my bad. I’ll continue. The 14th girl is Mia. The next girls are Penelope, Eva, Aria, Gina, Isabelle, Heidi, June, Lana, Jasper, Olivia, Quinn, Jen, Tiffany, Edna, Jade, and Mandy. All right that’s everyone. Congratulations. Next week will be the competition. You can work alone or team up. The maximum number of teaming up is four people. Those of you whose names weren’t chosen will not be in the competition. Have a lovely day and goodbye everyone until next week for some of you. (Penny walks off stage. People exit. Avery walks up to April with two other girls.)
Avery: So we are going to be a team. Here are the two other girls I told you about. This is Willa and this is Sam.
Willa + Sam: Hi
Avery: I'm so excited to win. How about you guys?
April+Willa+Sam: Mhm. Yeah. Sure.
Avery: Awesome.
End of Scene
Scene 6
The Next Week

Announcer: And we are back, except this time with a much smaller group. Let the competition begin. If you have made groups then go ahead and get together. All right. Your first test is advertisement. Talk I your groups and figure something out. This is live on television because people want to see who will do the best. If you or your team wins everyone in that team will be a Babysitter. You can only participate in this competition until you are eighteen or until you win.
Avery: My mom was a babysitter. But anyway, let’s get started.
April: Okay. Well I was thinking that we could . . . (Avery clears her throat) Yes Avery?
Willa: Don’t you know that Avery always takes care of everything?
April: Why? I’m just as qualified as her.
Avery: Who’s the one who won 2 years ago? Who has the most experience? Me.
April: Who was the one didn’t win last year? You (Sam quietly snickers. Avery glares at her).
April: Fine you can do it. (Then, under breath) As long as we win . . .  (Avery rolls her eyes)
Avery: Anyway . . . my idea was . . .
Announcer: All right girls that’s all for today. Retire to your homes and come back tomorrow at 7 a.m. sharp. If you’re late you’re out of the game.
Avery: Ugh . . . Thanks a lot you guys. And how can I do my hair? (Sam and April smirk. Avery rolls her eyes and stomps off)

End of Scene

Scene 7
The next day at 6:58 a.m. April is the only girl.

April: Where is everyone? (2 minutes later: almost everyone arrives)
April to Avery: What took so long?
Avery: The announcer said 7 a.m. sharp. Not 6:58 a.m. sharp.
Still Avery: I was only listening to what he said (April rolls her eyes).
Announcer: Good morning ladies. Let’s take attendance (some girls moan). I know, but we have to make sure everyone is present. Those who are not will be disqualified. Rebecca?
Rebecca: Here
Announcer: Alexa? Alexa.
Alexa: Oh. Uh I'm here.
Announcer: Avery.
Avery: Here
Announcer: Piper?
Piper: Here (repeat until most names are said).
Announcer: And lastly, Mandy. Mandy? (He pauses) Well the disqualified girls are Mandy, Olivia, Edna, Natalie, Quinn, and Jen. There are now 24 girls left. Let’s continue with yesterday’s theme. Advertisement. Some of you may be at different stages. Today we hope to get the advertising done. After you finish two of you will be eliminated. You will get the results tomorrow. Good luck.
Avery: Thanks to April we didn’t get to talk about my idea. I’ll tell you quickly so we can make the poster right away. So, my idea is pictures. We write a name for our group and get pictures of all four of us. They will be cute but professional. And it will say things like, The Answer to Your Problems, etc.
April: That’s actually not a bad idea.
Avery: Obviously, because I came up with it (April rolls eyes). Anyway. I brought pictures from our school yearbook of each one of us to use for this. They each have a cool background. Here’s the poster paper. I wrote everything on there and left space for the pictures so I’m not the only one working. You can each do your own and April put mine on too. Also mine has to be on the top. Okay let’s get started.
April: Yes mom (Avery ignores her).
(As they are working there is a tick tock clock sound)
Announcer: Tomorrow morning at 6:30 a.m. sharp you will come here, present your posters, and explain why you chose the design.
End of Scene

Scene 8
6:30 a.m.
Announcer: Everyone that is present come up here and line up and we will take attendance. (He says names and girls respond.) Three girls are not present so they are excluded. The girls are Eva, Kylie, and Mia. Only 21 remain. Later more will be disqualified because of their poster presentation. Good luck.
Avery: Good thing all of us are here. Now all we have to worry about is how well you did the poster and how you will present it.
April: How about you do the presentation Avery since you love leading.
Avery: Sure. That way there’s no chance of messing up. (Avery takes poster and gets in line to present.)   Later:
April: (to Avery) How’d it go?
Avery: Amazingly. We’ll get the results once everyone is finished presenting.
30 minutes later:
Announcer: That’s all of the presentations. The following names are the names of the girls who are no longer in the competition. Lana, Piper, Alexa, Jane, Rebecca, Isabelle, and Gina. Now only seventeen remain. Those of you whose names I’ve called you may leave. Today we are having multiple tests. The next will be how good you are with children.
Avery: I got this. Just follow my lead and we’ll win.
Announcer: If you are in groups you cannot work together. (Avery groans) Let’s get started.

1 hour later
Announcer: Tomorrow we will announce 5 girls that are no longer in the competition. Be here at 6:00 a.m. sharp.
End of Scene

Scene 9
6:00 a.m.
Announcer: First, let’s take attendance (10 minutes later). Only one person was not present. And that was Miranda. Now or yesterday’s performance. You all did very well but some to as well. And those of you are Aria, Penelope, Heidi, and Sam. Only 12 remain.
Avery: Oh Sam. I’m sorry.
Sam: It’s okay. (She and other girls leave)
Avery: Good. She’s gone. She was definitely slowing us down.
April: Avery. How can you say that? That’s just rude.
Avery: You want to win it, don’t you? (April sighs) If you don’t that’s fine. I can work with Willa and win. Without you.
April: You wouldn’t.
Avery: Try me.
April: Why? So that you have a better chance at winning?
Avery: I recall when I first asked you, you said, and I quote, “I might want to work alone”. Now I think I’ll let you do what you want.
April: Avery. You are being a bit ridiculous don’t you think?
Avery: Maybe, but I’m sure you’ll do fine.
April: Fine. May the best girl win.
End of Scene

Scene 11
6:00 a.m.
Announcer: Everyone is present. Now I’m going to announce 5 girls that didn’t make it today. Tiffany, June, Elizabeth, and Katrina. Only 5 girls now remain. In 2 days we will announce the winner. Your next test for today is how well you do in case of an emergency we have to people to explain the process. Everyone get started.
(Tic-tock, tic-tock, etc.)
Announcer: That’s all for today. We will get our reports together. Come tomorrow at 7 a.m. and we will tell you who didn’t make to the next round.
End of Scene

Scene 11
7:00 a.m.
Announcer: Welcome back. Before we announce the results I’d like to say you all did well. After I tell you this, there will only be 3 girls left.
Avery: Good luck April. You’ll need it.
April: Don’t be so sure.
Announcer: And the 2 dismissed are (pauses for effect) Yolanda and (pauses again) Willa.
Willa: (gasps) What? No. That’s not fair.
Announcer: The remaining girls are Avery, Jade, and April. (April and Avery glare at each other)
End of Scene

Scene 12
Announcer: Today is the final day. You three worked very hard to win. It was close. The winner is . . . (Avery looks smug. April closes her eyes. Jade crosses her fingers) . . . JADE! You are now an official Babysitter. (April and Avery stare open mouthed. Jade smiles. April shrugs).
April: Oh well.
Avery: That’s not fair! I’m the true winner!
(April raises her eyebrows then rolls her eyes.)

THE END.