The broken window | Teen Ink

The broken window

By emilymarier8 SILVER, Mandeville, Louisiana
emilymarier8 SILVER, Mandeville, Louisiana

CHARACTERS:
YOUNG MAX-five year old boy
YOUNG RILEY-five year old girl
MARTHA-thirty five year old woman
MAX-twenty five year old man
RILEY-twenty five year old woman
DARREN-twenty five year old man
CRATER-forty five year old man
MRS. CALDWELL-forty five year old woman
MR. CALDWELL-forty five year old man
WILSON-twenty five year old man
COLLINS-sixty year old man

INT. MAX'S ROOM-NIGHT

MAX digs on the floor of his room, building a Lego tower. Max hums quietly to himself until the door busts open. His mother, MARTHA, enters the room

MARTHA
(screaming)
Get off the floor you good-for-nothing rat!

Max stands up quickly. Martha takes a swig of her half empty bottle of liquor.

MARTHA
I'm going out. I don't know when I'll be home. Try not to screw anything up, like you always do.

MARTHA slams the door. Max opens his window and stares out into the darkness around his apartment building. RILEY opens the window from the apartment across from Max's and smiles at him. Max smiles back.

EXT. APARTMENT BUILDING WINDOWS-NIGHT

Flashes of Max and Riley talking across from their apartment buildings are shown.

Max laughs at something Riley says.

Max shows Riley his newest Lego tower, and Riley shows Max her favorite gold necklace.

Max and Riley giggle until a woman's hand pulls Riley away from her window. RILEY'S MOTHER slaps Riley across the face. She shuts the window and closes the curtains tightly.

Max looks at Riley with concerned eyes as she cries.

MAX
Please, don't cry.

RILEY
I...can't...
MAX
I just want to make you happy.

One night, Max hears an ambulance and he opens his window. There is no sign of Riley in her window.

Max opens his window in hopes of seeing Riley, but she is not at her window.

Max opens his windows and notices new curtains on Riley's window. He realizes that she has moved away.

FLASH FORWARD-20 YEARS

INT. A MESSY APARTMENT-DAY

Twenty five year old Max sits on the sofa with a worn guitar. He strums it quietly. He becomes frustrated and throws his guitar aside. DARREN enters through the front door and sets groceries on the kitchen table.

DARREN
Look at you! Maxwell Trexter is up and out of bed!

Max rolls his eyes and runs his fingers through his hair.

DARREN
I'm serious, bro. Ever since your mom died you haven't left your bed. You just sit there strumming that damn guitar. I know you're upset, but you need to handle this better.

Max sits up and stares at Darren.

MAX
I could care less that my mother is dead. She has never done anything for me in my life. She told me straight up that she hated me. Yeah, my mom is dead. And it's not my fault that her overdose on drugs killed her this time.

Max states angrily at Darren and lets out a low sigh

DARREN
I didn't mean to get you all worked up. I'm just worried about you. You need to get out of this apartment.

MAX
And do what?

Darren unfolds a note from his sweatshirt pocket. He hands it to Max.

DARREN
This is what you can do. My uncle Crater called and asked if there was anyone I know who needs a job. He asked me because he needed a strong, young guy. You lost your job at the garage a few weeks ago. I can't keep paying all the rent. You need to get back on your feet.

Max takes the paper and stares at it with a confused look on his face.
MAX
What is this?

DARREN
It's a job application for the Caldwell house. They need someone else to help out with the garden. You should do it, man. It'll be good for you.

Max states at the application a little longer and looks up at Darren.

MAX
Thanks, man. I'll look into it.

DARREN
No problem, let me know if it works out.

MAX
I will. And I'm sorry for not paying the rent. I'll pay you back as soon as I get the money, I swear.

Darren nods.

EXT. THE CALDWELL RESIDENCE-DAY

MAX drives an old, rusty, red truck. He drives through a driveway surrounded by trees. He looks at the house with astonishment as he takes in its massive architecture. He parks and gets out of the car. A gardener is cutting shrubs. MAX approaches the front door. He knocks and COLLINS, an old man dressed in a suit, opens the door.

COLLINS
(expressionless)
Good morning, Mr. Trexter. We've been expecting you. Mr. Crater is eating breakfast in the employee house. You may follow me.

MAX follows Collins down a long beautiful hallway.A beautiful staircase completes the entrance to the house. Paintings, fountains, and fancy vases reside in the house. Collins opens the back door and motions for MAX to go before him. They walk in a beautiful backyard complete with an extravagant pool. COLLINS and MAX arrive at the employee house. COLLINS opened the door.

MAX
(examining the employee house with awe)
Wow. This employee house is nicer than my place!

MAX chuckles and looks over at COLLINS, who still has no expression.

COLLINS
(motioning towards the kitchen)
Mr. Crater should be in the dining hall. He will be expecting you. Good luck, Mr. Trexter.

Collins opens the front door of the employee house and exits. Max approaches the kitchen. A group of employees sit eating a variety of breakfast choices. Max clears his throat

MAX
Mr. Crater?

CRATER looks up from the table and gives Max a big smile. He stands up and extends his right hand.

CRATER
Please, call me Crater. Darren has told me a lot about you, Max.

MAX
(shaking his hand)
Nice to meet you. What do you need me to do?

CRATER
(surprised)
Whoa, boy. You're an eager one. Don't you want to eat first?

MAX
I already ate.

CRATER
Don't do that anymore. You're always welcome to eat here.

Crater motions for the door.

CRATER
Let me show you around.

Crater leads Max out of the employee house. He leads him to a large, open area in the backyard.

CRATER
Because it's summer, the Caldwell's entertain a lot around here. You'll be helping me make sure the exterior of the house stays in tip top shape.

Max nods and looks at awe at the backyard.

CRATER
When they entertain, you'll be helping me set up the tables, chairs, and stage, if needed.

MAX
Stage? They have that?

CRATER
They're loaded. Get used to it.

Crater leads Max to the pool.

CRATER
Do you mind if I start you off with the pool?

Max looks unsure, but shakes his head.

CRATER
Don't worry, boy. I won't start you off with anything too hard. Go grab the net in that shed by the employee house and begin cleaning the pool. Empty the Polaris and throw it back in there. I've got to run to Home Depot and get some more pool salts. You think you can handle this?

MAX
Got it. Doesn't seem too hard. Uh, do you need my job application?

CRATER
Ah, don't worry about that. You're fine. I'll see you in about an hour.

Crater walks off and gets into a large truck. Max walks to the shed and opens it. He grabs the net and mask his way back to the pool.

INT. THE CALDWELL RESIDENCE-DAY

Twenty five year old Riley sits in the dining room of the house with MRS. CALDWELL. They eat in silence as Collins stands in the corner of the room, in case assistance is needed.

MRS. CALDWELL
Riley, dear?

Riley looks up.

RILEY
Yes, Aunt Victoria?

MRS CALDWELL
Riley, please, I've been telling you to call me Vicky for twenty years. That makes me feel so old.

Mrs. Caldwell laughs and takes a sip of her coffee.

RILEY
(mumbling)
Sorry.

MRS. CALDWELL
It's alright, dear. Anyway, the June Auction is in two weeks, and you still haven't asked anyone yet.

RILEY
Maybe I don't want to ask anyone.

MRS. CALDWELL
Oh, please. What about Wilson? I know he's very fond of you. Plus, he's got money. I think he is perfect husband material.

Riley looks up from her plate and stares at Mrs. Caldwell.

RILEY
I don't like Wilson. He's cocky and a jerk. I don't want anything to do with him.

MRS. CALDWELL
Those are just rumors you've heard, sweetheart. He really is a great catch. You just need to get to know him, and the June Auction is a perfect opportunity.

RILEY
I think I'll pass.

Mrs. Caldwell sits up and leans in closer to Riley.

MRS. CALDWELL
Riley, sweetheart, I think he would be good for you. He comes from a great family. He went to Harvard and you went to Yale. You two obviously have a lot in common. Now that you're home from college, you need to settle down. Ever since...

Mrs. Caldwell sighs.

MRS. CALDWELL
Ever since I picked you up from my sisters wreck of an apartment that night, I promised myself I would make sure you ended up becoming successful. I don't want you to end up a dead druggie like your mother. I know a boy like Wilson would treat you right and make you happy. Please, consider it.

Riley gets up from the table and Collins immediately takes her plate.

RILEY
Okay, I'll invite him, but no promises on the marriage thing.

Mrs. Caldwell looks pleased.

RILEY
I'm going to go lay out by the pool. I need a break.

MRS. CALDWELL
That sounds like a great idea.

Riley smiles and exits the dining room.

EXT. THE CALDWELL RESIDENCE-DAY

Max is cleaning the pool. He has headphones in and is listening to music. Riley comes out the backdoor of the house. She freezes when she sees Max, obviously not recognizing him. Max is not aware she is standing there. Riley walks over to a lounge chair and lays out her towel.

RILEY
Excuse me?

Max whips his head around and rips out his headphones. He is surprised to see an attractive, young girl.

RILEY
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you.

MAX
(stammering)
Oh, no no no. You're fine. Uh, I didn't mean to, uh...

RILEY
(giggling)
No, you're fine. I just haven't seen you around here. Did you just start working here?

MAX
(a little more comfortably)
Uh, yeah. I mean, yes ma'am.

RILEY
(laughing)
Please, call me Riley.

Riley extends her hand and Max shakes it.

MAX
Max. Nice to meet you, Riley. Are you, uh, the Caldwell's daughter?

RILEY
(taken aback)
Oh, no. I'm their niece. But, uh, I live here. I mean, they raised me.

MAX
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.

RILEY
No, it's fine.

Riley smiles awkwardly at Max.

RILEY
Is it okay if I swim? I mean, are you done with the pool?

MAX
Uh, yeah.

Max motions towards the pool

Go for it.

Riley smiles and begins to take her gold necklace off. Max's eyes widen.

FLASHBACK-20 YEARS

EXT. APARTMENT WINDOWS- NIGHT

Young Riley and Young Max talk across the windows.

RILEY
(holding onto her necklace)
My daddy gave it to me before he died. I never ever take it off.

MAX
It's real pretty.

Riley smiles and looks at Max with sad eyes.

RILEY
I'll wear it for the rest of my life.

MAX
I'll never forget how pretty that necklace is.

FLASH FORWARD-20 YEARS-DAY-PREVIOUS SCENE

Riley notices Max staring at her.

RILEY
(to Max)
What?

MAX
(embarrassed)
Oh, uh, nothing. It's just, I like your necklace.

Riley smiles awkwardly at Max.

RILEY
Thank you. My dad gave it to me before he...

Riley looks away from Max and takes a deep breath.

MAX
(suddenly recognizing her)
Riley?

RILEY
(cluelessly)
Yes?

Max stares at Riley for awhile and takes a deep breath.

MAX
Nothing. Um, I just wanted to know if you needed anything?

Riley looks at Max with a confused look on her face.

RILEY
No, um, I'm good. Thank you.

Riley forces a smile.

Max smiles back and begins to walk away.

INT. THE EMPLOYEE HOUSE-NIGHT

Max approaches Crater who is replacing a lightbulb.

MAX
Hey, Crater, is there anything else you need from me?

Crater steps down from the chair he is standing on.

CRATER
Oh, no, my boy. You're good.

Max nods and begins to walk away.

CRATER
Max?

Max turns around.

CRATER
Great work today, really. I'm glad Darren called me. I'll see you tomorrow.

Max smiles and walks out the door.

INT. MAX'S TRUCK- NIGHT

Max and Darren are in Max's truck.

DARREN
I'm so glad I'm finally getting you out, Maxie. We haven't been to Shaker's in forever.

Max continues to stare at the road.

DARREN
Aw, come on, Max. It's gonna be fun. We'll get a couple of drinks. Maybe you'll even meet a pretty girl.

MAX
I don't wanna meet a pretty girl.

DARREN
Fine, but at least try to have a good time.

MAX
No promises.

Max and Darren approach Shaker's, a small bar. They open their car doors and walk inside.

INT. SHAKER'S-NIGHT

Max and Darren approach the bar. A couple of girls wink at Darren and Max. Darren acknowledges them, but Max ignores them. Suddenly, Max notices Riley sitting by herself at the bar. He tries to avoid her, but they make eye contact and Riley waves him over to her.

MAX
(to Darren)
Hey, I'll be right back.

Darren's eyes follow Max's over to Riley. Darren pats Max on the back and Max walks away.

RILEY
Hey, Max, right?

MAX
Yeah. How are you?

RILEY
I'm great!

Riley twirls the straw in her drink around nervously.

MAX
Listen, Riley, there's something I want to tell you, about us.

Riley looks at him with a confused look on her face.

MAX
No, it's not like that.

Max rubs his palms together nervously.

MAX
It's about your broken window with the purple curtains.

A flicker of recognition spreads across Riley's face. She opens her mouth to reply until a drunk WILSON walks up to them and drapes his arm around Riley.

WILSON
(obviously drunk)
Hey, baby, who's this hot shot?

Riley looks at Max apologetically.

RILEY
Wilson, this is Max.

WILSON
Well that's just great. Tell me, Max. Why do you think it's okay to come over here and harass my girl?

RILEY
Wilson, stop.

MAX
I wasn't harassing her. I just started working at the Caldwell house.

Wilson lets out a loud laugh.

WILSON
Oh, man. Do you think Riley wants a broke piece of trash like you talking to her? She has more money than you'll make in ten years.

Max's fists his hands together.

RILEY
Please, Wilson. Stop.

WILSON
Get lost, you no good son of a b****.

Max immediately punches Wilson across the face. He has a bloody nose.

MAX
(to Wilson)
You're right. I am a son of a b****.

Max storms out of Shaker's.

EXT. THE CALDWELL HOUSE-DAY

Max is mowing the lawn with his headphones in. Riley stares at him through the window. She walks outside and Max notices her. He stops the lawn mower and rips out his headphones.

RILEY
Hey.

MAX
Hey.

Riley stares at the ground.

RILEY
Look, I'm really sorry about the other night. You know, about Wilson.

MAX
No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have attacked him like that. It wasn't right. And I totally understand if you want me to resign. I'm pretty sure you don't want the help punching your boyfriend.

RILEY
He's not my boyfriend. He wishes. Our parents are trying to set us up.

MAX
Oh.

RILEY
Yeah.

Max and Riley stand awkwardly for a moment.

RILEY
So, you're really Max? I mean, I know you're a Max, but you're the same Max who was my only friend twenty years ago?

MAX
Yep, and you're really Riley. And you're even more beautiful then I had imagined you would be.

Riley blushes.

RILEY
You protected me from my mother. Not physically, but mentally. And I never got to thank you for that, until now.

MAX
Even though we were so young, I felt like I needed to protect you.

RILEY
How's your mom? I mean, is she still...

MAX
Dead.

RILEY
Oh, I'm so sorry.

MAX
I'm not.

Riley folds her arms.

RILEY
How did you know it was me?

Max points to Riley's necklace and then runs his fingers through her hair.

MAX
All those years protecting you through the windows and I've never gotten to actually touch you.

Mrs. Caldwell walks outside and sees Max and Riley.

MRS. CALDWELL
Riley, dear.

Max and Riley immediately break apart and stands there awkwardly. Mrs. Caldwell gives Max a fake smile.

MRS. CALDWELL
You must be our new gardener. Don't you have some work to do?

MAX
Yes, ma'am. I'll get right to it, ma'am.

Max looks at Riley and she gives him an apologetic smile. Max walks into the shed behind the employee house.

MRS. CALDWELL
Riley, what exactly were you doing with the help?

RILEY
Nothing! He was just...

MRS. CALDWELL
Riley, dear. That's not the type of guy you need to be associating with. He won't make you happy. Did you ask Wilson to the auction this weekend?

RILEY
Yes, Aunt Victoria.

Mrs. Caldwell sighs with relief.

MRS. CALDWELL
Wonderful. You'll have a great time.

Mrs. Caldwell walks back into the house. Riley looks over towards the employee house, and then follows Mrs. Caldwell back into the house.

INT. THE EMPLOYEE HOUSE-DAY

Max walks into the dining room of the employee house and finds Crater drawing a blueprint. Max clears his throat.

MAX
You wanted to see me, sir?

CRATER
Ah, Max. Just the man I wanted to see. You know this Saturday is the June Auction. This year, there's a lot of things being donated like paintings, statues, fountains, etc. Our job will be setting up everything, of course. Also, we'll be the ones bringing the items on the stage to be auctioned and then to the winners cars. Easy enough?

MAX
No problem. I'll see you tomorrow.

Max walks out the employee house and runs into Riley as she is trying to enter the employee house.

RILEY
Oh, Max, I was actually looking for you.

MAX
You were?

RILEY
Yeah, um, I know this isn't how it works, but do you want to go out tonight? I really need to get out.

MAX
Of course. I'll do anything to make you happy.

Riley smiles.

MAX
Do you need me to pick you up?

RILEY
Oh, I don't know if that's a good idea. How about I meet you at your apartment?

MAX
Okay, give me your phone.

Max punches in his number and his address in her phone. Max winks at Riley.

MAX
See you at 7.

INT. MAX'S APARTMENT-NIGHT

Max is dressed up and is smoothing out his shirt in the mirror. Darren walks in

DARREN
Wow, you look nice. Got a hot date tonight?

MAX
Shut-up, Darren.

Max looks out the window and notices Riley's car. He grabs his keys and begins walking out the front door.

DARREN
You're not gonna invite her inside?

MAX
I don't want her to see this place.

Max walks down the stairs of his apartment complex. He makes his way over to Riley's car. She smiles at his but doesn't get out of her car.

RILEY
Well, what are you waiting for? Get in!

MAX
Um, no. I'm driving you.

RILEY
(laughing)
Why?

MAX
So you'll be in my car and I can open the door for you.

Riley laughs and pulls her keys out of the ignition. Max leads Riley to his car and opens the car door for her. He takes her hand and helps her in her seat. He leans over and buckles her seatbelt for her. Riley laughs.

RILEY
I'm not five, you know. I can get in a car myself.

Max smiles at her.

MAX
Just trying to protect you.

Max closes Riley's door and walks around his car. He gets into the drivers seat and pulls out of the parking lot.

RILEY
Where are we going?

MAX
It's a surprise.

Riley laughs.

RILEY
Okay, man of mystery. Why don't you tell me what you've been doing the past twenty years?

MAX
Well, after I graduated high school I went to the community college. I got a degree in teaching.

RILEY
Teaching?

MAX
Yep, teaching. I know, it surprised me, too. I taught at a middle school for a few years and eventually I quit because I hated it. All those kids reminded me of me when I was their age. It was driving me crazy. Then, my mom overdosed on drugs. Then, my roommate Darren told me about the job at your house. And here we are.

RILEY
Why didn't you try teaching older kids?

MAX
No available jobs.

RILEY
My mom, too, you know.

MAX
Your mom, what?

RILEY
She overdosed that night. You know, the night she died and my aunt and uncle took me away.

Riley's eyes fill with tears and Max grabs her hand. Riley smiles at him. Max pulls up to a roller skating place called Roller's.

RILEY
Roller's? Really?! I can't roller skate!

MAX
Good. That means I get to hold your hand.

Riley laughs and Max parks his car. Riley begins to unbuckle.

MAX
Stop!

Max's gets out the car and runs over to Riley's door. He opens her car door, unbuckles her, and helps her get out the car.

RILEY
Such a gentleman.

Max leads Riley to the front door and opens the door for her. They go inside and begin to put on pairs of roller skates.

RILEY
I haven't done this since I was sixteen.

Max smiles and kisses Riley on the cheek. Riley smiles.

RILEY
What was that for?

MAX
I just want to make you happy.
Max leads Riley on to the rink. There is a large disco ball and many other couples and families skate around. Max holds Riley's hand and she struggles to stay balanced. They both laugh. Max looks down and notices Riley's necklace. Riley notices him staring at it.

MAX
Do you miss him?

RILEY
Yeah. I do. I don't want to talk about it, though. Tell me about you dad. Do you still see him?

MAX
Don't know him.

RILEY
Wait, what?

MAX
I've never met him. I have no idea who he is.

RILEY
Oh, I'm sorry.

MAX
It's not your fault.

Max squeezes Riley's hand.

INT. MAX'S CAR-NIGHT

Riley and Max hold hands as Max pulls into his apartment parking lot. Max runs around his car and opens Riley's door, unbuckles her, and helps her out the car.

RILEY
I had a lot of fun tonight.

MAX
I did too.

RILEY
We should do it again sometime.
MAX
I'll do anything to make you happy.

Riley smiles and gives Max a kiss on the cheek. She walks to her car, opens the door, and drives away.

EXT. THE CALDWELL HOUSE-DAY

Max, Darren, and Crater are setting up tables and chairs inside a large, white tent. Other workers walk around and set up other things for the auction.

CRATER
Thanks for coming to help out today, Darren.

Crater pats Darren on the back.

DARREN
Hey, I'll do anything for a few extra bucks.

Darren notices Max staring at the window on the second story.

DARREN
Max, why do you keep looking inside that window?

Max whips his head away from the window.

MAX
What?

DARREN
Why do you keep looking at that window?

MAX
Oh, no reason.

DARREN
Do the Caldwell's have a hot daughter or something?

MAX
Not exactly.

INT-RILEY'S ROOM-NIGHT

Riley is in her room smoothing out a long gold dress. She slips on a pair of gold pumps and applies lipstick. Mrs. Caldwell walks in and gasps.

MRS. CALDWELL
Oh, honey. You look breathtaking. In that dress, Wilson will be popping the question any time now.

RILEY
I don't want him to pop the question.

MRS. CALDWELL
Keep an open mind.

Mrs. Caldwell exits Riley's room and Riley walks over to her window. She opens the curtains of the windows and looks out at Max. She lets out a low sigh and closes the curtains.

EXT. THE AUCTION-NIGHT

The tent is beautifully lit up. Couples walk around and greet one another. Waiters and waitresses offer food and drinks to the guests. Max, Crater, and Darren are fooling with the microphone and speakers. Riley enters on Wilson's arm and Max looks at both of them. Riley gives him a smile. Wilson notices him.

WILSON
Is he that punk from the bar?

RILEY
No, he's a very nice guy. And if you don't behave yourself I'll tell your father about the guys you paid to take your exams for you in college.

Wilson nods and Riley makes her way over to Max.

RILEY
Hey.

MAX
Hey, you look beautiful.

RILEY
Thank you. Hey, when you have a
minute, do you think we could
talk?

MAX
Yeah, sure.

Riley walks back to Wilson and Wilson glares at Max. He wraps his arms around Riley and leads her over to a table. The auction begins and Max, Crater, and Darren help carry the first item on the stage. Max zones out from the auction and locks eyes with Riley. Riley nods her head to the door of the tent. Max nods and Riley whispers something to Wilson and then walks out the door of the tent. Max turns to Crater.

MAX
I'm gonna go get some aspirin from my truck. I have a roaring headache.

CRATER
Oh, of course. You'll need it.

Max walks out the side of the tent and walks around until he finds Riley waiting for him. She is crying and holding her necklace.

RILEY
Did you know we were happy before he died? We were normal. After he died, my mom went crazy.

MAX
I know. You told me.

RILEY
You remember?

MAX
I remember everything about you, Riley.

Max wraps his arms around Riley and she lays her head on his chest.

RILEY
I envy you, you know. I hate this. I hate this life. I wish I could be with people like you. I hate the pressure of having to go to the perfect schools, have the perfect job, the perfect husband, the perfect clothes. I don't fit in here, Max. This isn't who I am.

Max pulls away from the embrace and lifts Riley's chin.

MAX
I just want to make you happy.

He kisses her. Riley returns the kiss. They eventually pull apart.

MAX
I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

Riley doesn't say anything. She kisses Max again. They continue kissing until Darren walks outside of the tent and sees them. Max and Riley immediately pull apart.

DARREN
Uh, Uncle Crater told me to come get you. We need help with the next item. I'm sorry.

Riley immediately becomes embarrassed and runs back into the tent.

DARREN
(whispering)
Dude, what the hell are you thinking?

MAX
Not now.

Max and Darren walk back inside the tent.

AUCTIONEER
And our next item is this beautiful painting donated by the Miller family.

Everyone claps as Max and Darren place the painting on the stage. Suddenly, MR. CALDWELL stands up from his seat and storms up to the front of the stage.

MR. CALDWELL
(to Crater)
WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?!

CRATER
Who? Max?

MR. CALDWELL
YES, MAX.

Mr. Caldwell approaches Max.

MR. CALDWELL
You get the hell off my property, you hear?

Riley runs up to the stage, followed by Wilson.

RILEY
Uncle Richard, what's wrong? What did Max do?

MR. CALDWELL
You know this boy?

RILEY
I...um...

WILSON
No, she doesn't. She doesn't associate with the likes of him. Don't worry, Mr. Caldwell.

Riley and Wilson go back to their seats and Max walks out of the silent tent.

INT-MAX'S APARTMENT-DAY

Max is sitting on the sofa. Darren emerges from his room and sits on the sofa next to Max. They don't look at each other.

DARREN
Can we talk about it now? It's been two weeks.

MAX
What do you want to talk about?

DARREN
Mr. Caldwell, Riley...

MAX
What about them?

DARREN
Why were you kissing their daughter?

MAX
She's not their daughter, she's their niece. And we have history, that's all.

DARREN
Are you in love with her or something?

MAX
I don't know.

DARREN
And what about Mr. Caldwell?

MAX
I don't know about Mr. Caldwell. I've never even seen the man in my life.

DARREN
Well, that doesn't make sense considering the way he went ballistic when he recognized you.

MAX
Did he see Riley and I together or something?

DARREN
Nope, he was inside the entire time you weren't.

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door.

DARREN
I'll get it.

Darren walks over to the door and opens it to see Riley in tears. Max jumps up from the couch and runs over to Riley.

MAX
Riley, what are you doing here? What's wrong?

DARREN
Uh, I think I'm gonna go. It's obvious you two have some things to talk about.

Darren grabs his wallet and jacket and heads out the front door.

RILEY
(in tears)
I don't know what to do, Max. I don't know what to do.

MAX
Wait, tell me what's wrong.

RILEY
Do you know my uncle?

MAX
I had never seen him in my life.

RILEY
That doesn't make any sense.

MAX
I know. But what happened that sent you over here?

RILEY
After you left, my uncle sent me back into the house. He was absolutely furious that night. I've never heard him yell so loud. Yesterday I didn't leave my room all day. I've never been so scared in my life.

Riley begins crying harder and Max hugs her.

RILEY
It was like...everything from my childhood was coming back to me. Then, last night, my aunt told me one of her friends saw us together leaving Rollers. I just...I had to come see you.

MAX
It's okay, Riley. Everything's going to be okay.

RILEY
No, that's the thing. Everything's NOT gonna be okay. This morning I overheard my aunt setting up some grand proposal for Wilson and I. It would be impossible for me to decline and I don't want to marry him.

MAX
Riley, listen to me. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

RILEY
Run away with me, Max.

MAX
What?

RILEY
Please, let's get out of here. Let's go somewhere where nobody knows us. Just you and I.

MAX
Riley, I'll do anything for you, you know that. But we're gonna have to plan this or something.

Suddenly, there's another knock at the door. Max walks over to the door and looks out the peep hole.

MAX
Riley, it's your uncle.

RILEY
He's here to take me away.

MAX
Go hide. I'll tell him you're not here.

Riley nods and hides in the bathroom. Max opens the door and lets in Mr. Caldwell. Mr. Caldwell confidently walks over to Max's couch and sits down.

MR. CALDWELL
Sit down, Max.

MAX
Is there something you need, sir?

Max sits down on the couch.

MR. CALDWELL
Yes, I need you to listen.

Mr. Caldwell lets out a sigh and looks Max in the eyes.

MR. CALDWELL
I'm sorry about my behavior last night. I just wasn't expecting to see you there.

MAX
Have we met before or something?

Mr. Caldwell gives Max a sad smile.

MR. CALDWELL
I knew I would have to do this eventually. Max, twenty six years ago I met a beautiful woman in a bar. She was fun, spunky, and made me feel good about myself. I had a little too much to drink...and then I realized what I had done. I went back home to my wife at about two o'clock in the morning. We made up from our fight and moved on. Two weeks later, I received a call saying I was going to be a father. I should've been ecstatic, right? Instead, the call wasn't from my wife. It was from the woman I met at that bar. Nine months later, I went to go see my son in the hospital. You.
Max's eyes widen. He is speechless. Mr. Caldwell breaks out in tears.

MR. CALDWELL
I'm so sorry, son.

Mr. Caldwell reaches out his hand to place it on Max's shoulder, but Max pulls away.

MAX
Don't you dare touch me. You're not my father. You'll never be my father. Did you know I've been suffering for 25 years?

MR. CALDWELL
Of course I know. I've kept an eye on you for twenty five years.

MAX
And you let me suffer?

MR. CALDWELL
It's not like that, son.

MAX
IT'S EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

Max's eyes fill with tears.

AND DON'T CALL ME SON.

MR. CALDWELL
I didn't know what to do, I'm sorry. I had my wife and family to think about. I couldn't throw it all away.

MAX
I AM YOUR FAMILY.

Max stands up.

Actually, no. I'm not your family. I would be ashamed to call you my family.
Riley suddenly emerges from the bathroom with tears in her eyes.

RILEY
How could you? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HIM?

MR. CALDWELL
Riley, sweetheart, you're here. Oh, God. You weren't supposed to know.

RILEY
I WASN'T SUPPOSED TO KNOW?

MR. CALDWELL
Riley...

Riley runs towards the door.

MAX
Riley!

She leaves the apartment and drives away.

MR. CALDWELL
Let's go after her.

MAX
I'm not going anywhere with you. And you don't go near her.

Max grabs his keys and runs out the door, only to see that Riley is already gone. Mr. Caldwell walks up behind Max.

MR. CALDWELL
Please, I know her better than you do. Let me help.

MAX
You don't know anything about her.

Max runs down the stairs of his apartment complex. He opens his car door and starts the engine. He pulls out of the parking lot.

INT. MAX'S CAR-NIGHT

Max pulls out his cell phone. He leaves another message for Riley.

MAX
Hey, Riley, I know this is the fifth message I've left you, but you've been missing for six hours. Everyone's looking for you. Please call me back.

Max shuts his phone and throws it across the seat. It begins ringing again. It's Darren.

MAX
Hey, anything?

DARREN
I've checked Shakers and Rollers like you said, but we both knew she wouldn't be there. Crater has been at the house and he said he would call you if she showed up. Some of the employees have checked the mall, movie theatre, the park, and all of her usual hangout spots. She's no where to be found.

MAX
Dammit, where is she?! I've been driving around looking for her car and I haven't found anything.

DARREN
Is there anywhere you may know she would be? Maybe somewhere that's special to you two?

Max gasps.

MAX
I gotta go.

Max snaps his phone shut and makes a u-turn. He drives until he reaches his old apartment complex. The apartment building is for sale because it can no longer house residents. Max lowers himself under the chains and notices the front door has already been knocked open.

INT. RILEY'S OLD APARTMENT-NIGHT

Max walks into the already open door of Riley's apartment. He runs until he reaches Riley's room. She is sitting on the floor, staring out the window looking straight at Max's, crying. Max runs towards her and wraps his arms around her. Riley turns around and returns his embrace. She cries harder.

MAX
Shh, I'm here. I'm here.

RILEY
Don't leave me.

MAX
I'll never leave you, Riley. I'll be whatever you want me to be. I'll do whatever you want me to do. I just want to make you happy. God, I want to make you so happy.

Riley cries harder and grabs onto Max's jacket.

RILEY
I love you, Max. I've always loved you.

MAX
I love you, too. I love you so much.

Max kisses her forehead.

RILEY
Let's go. Let's get out of here. Not just this apartment, this town.

MAX
Are you sure?

RILEY
Positive. We'll go just for a little while. Please, I can't do this anymore.

MAX
I'll do anything to make you happy, like I said. Live I've always said.

They kiss and the screen fades out.

THE END.