The Dress | Teen Ink

The Dress

By DarfieldDudette BRONZE, Barriere B.C., Other
DarfieldDudette BRONZE, Barriere B.C., Other

"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison." -John Lubbock

The Dress

Scene 1.

AKAYLA and BRADEN are sitting in the middle of a crowded, stuffy, and extremely boring English class. The teacher's droning on about Shakespeare, making the subject as dull as it is possible for a subject to be made. Most of the students have given up trying to pay attention and are playing hangman with their friends, texting under the desk or have simply put their heads on their desks and fallen asleep.

As a note, in the beginning part of the movie, AKAYLA's clothes should reflect her attitude towards her own body, therefore, she does everything in her power to cover it up. Baggy jeans, oversized t – shirts, ratty sneakers and stuff like that. She should also have a protruding stomach ... not exaggerated or drastically obese, but it definitely shouldn't be a flat stomach.

AKAYLA (whispering)
How much longer?

BRADEN checks his watch under his desk.

BRADEN
Fifteen minutes to go.

AKAYLA groans

AKAYLA
I'd rather pull all my hair out, one strand at a time, than sit here for another fifteen minutes.

BRADEN (mischievously)
Careful what you wish for, Akayla. That's practically permission.

AKAYLA (acidly)
Wow, Braden, that's so funny I forgot to laugh.

BRADEN
I try.

AKAYLA shakes her head, unable to stop herself from smiling.

AkAYLA
Seriously though, how is he still a teacher? Everyone hates him.

They're both silent for a moment, watching the teacher at the front of the room drone on, totally oblivious to his less than attentive class.

BRADEN
I have a theory about that.

AKAYLA (sarcastically)
I'm dying to hear it.

BRADEN
I am of the opinion that Professor Harpunkle's not normal, in fact he's not even a human. He's a Martian, sent to Earth to study or genetic make – up and report back to his home planet. That's why he became a teacher, so that he'd be in contact with humans every day.

AKAYLA doesn't say anything, just turns to look at him slowly, as if she can't decide if he's for real and if he is, she's ashamed to be his friend. BRADEN's barely able to stop himself from grinning.

BRADEN
You've got to admit though, it's the only logical explanation.

Cut to next scene.

Scene 2.

AKAYLA and BRADEN enter AKAYLA's empty house. AKAYLA starts to hang her bag on a hook in the closet.

AKAYLA
MOOOOM!?

There's silence. AKAYLA shrugs.

AKAYLA
I guess she had to work. You can just hang your bag in the closet.

She grins and leaves in search of food. BRADEN hangs his bag inside the closet and takes out a crowbar, looking confused.

BRADEN
What's this for!?

AKAYLA comes back into the room with a box of cookies in hand. She catches sight of the crowbar and laughs.

AKAYLA
Mom keeps it there in case someone tries to break into the house.

She stops beside BRADEN and looks at the crowbar.

AKAYLA (cont'd)
My mom's a freak, isn't she?

BRADEN laughs and sets the crowbar back in the closet.

BRADEN
Well, I can't say I know anyone else who's parents keep a crowbar in the closet. Can I have some of those?

AKAYLA sets the cookies on the coffee table.
AKAYLA
Help yourself.

She drops down onto the couch and BRADEN sits beside her, taking several cookies out of the box. AKAYLA picks up a gaming controller and hands it to BRADEN, picking up the second one.

AKAYLA (cont'd)
Black Ops or Assassin’s Creed?

Scene 3.

It's some time later, the sky outside the windows are dusky, hinting at late evening. BRADEN and AKAYLA are standing by the door.

BRADEN
Tell your mom I said thanks for dinner.

AKAYLA
Sure.

BRADEN
See you tomorrow?

AKAYLA
Likely.

BRADEN
Okay, bye.

He opens the door and steps out. It swings shut behind him. AKAYLA's smile fades. She turns and walks back through the house and into the bathroom. She stands in front of the mirror staring at herself arms crossed over her stomach. After a minute she pinches her gut in her hand. Her face works furiously as though she's trying hard not to cry. She turns on her heel and marches out of the bathroom, slamming the door behind herself forcefully.

Scene 4.

Now AKAYLA's in her room, looking through magazines. She flips through page after page of skinny girls. She turns the page onto a picture of a model wearing a beautiful dress. She stops and stares at the picture. Suddenly she grabs her computer and loads Google. She types “How do I lose weight?” into the search box. It comes up with a bazillion answers, from diets and exercise programs, to plastic surgery locations, diet pills ... anything and everything.

Outside in the hall, she hears her MOTHER's footsteps so she quickly switches to Facebook. Her MOTHER opens the door and steps into the room. She's wearing extremely bright pyjamas.

MOTHER
Well, I'm going to bed.

AKAYLA
Long day?
MOTHER
Yep. You're okay?

AKAYLA
Yeah, I won't stay up much longer. I'm just, you know, Facebooking.

She tries to smile convincingly. Her mom smiles back and leaves the room. AKAYLA returns to her web browser and clicks into a site and starts reading. It's a flashy, gimmicky site that promotes excessive dieting, but she absorbs it eagerly, desperately.

Scene 5.

BRADEN and AKAYLA are sitting side by side on the couch, battling furiously in a video game. Both of them wear the wide eyed, frantic looks of hardcore gamers. Suddenly BRADEN throws his arms up in the air and shouts in celebration.

AKAYLA
That was totally cheating!

BRADEN
What do you mean it was cheating? That was a clean kill!

AKAYLA tosses her controller at him and gets up. He scrambles after her, following her into the kitchen where she's pouring herself a glass of water.

BRADEN (cont'd)
Admit it! It was a pretty sweet move!

AKAYLA
Whatever you say, chief.

BRADEN nods importantly, giving off an air of importance.

BRADEN
Yeah that's right. Don't I get a victory cookie or something?

AKAYLA pushes a container of Oreos towards him.

AKAYLA
Knock yourself out.

BRADEN snatches a cookie and shoves into his mouth.

BRADEN
The taste of success is sweet.

Pause.

BRADEN (cont'd)
You're not going to have any.

AKAYLA suddenly looks uncomfortable.

AKAYLA
Um ... no. I'm on a diet.

She moves past him, back into the living room. BRADEN stares after her, looking shell shocked.

BRADEN
Come again?

AKAYALA (defensively)
Oh come on, you heard me! I'm on a diet. Look it's not a big deal. No carbs, no sugar and skip lunch ... I'll barely notice it.

BRADEN sits beside her on the couch, still confused.

BRADEN
Can I ask why you're doing this?

AKAYLA squirms, reluctant to answer.

AKAYALA
You'll laugh.

BRADEN
I won't! I promise!

AKAYLA (embarrassed)
I ... Oh God! It's so stupid!

BRADEN
What is it? Tell me.

AKAYLA seems to consider it for a moment.

AKAYALA
I – I want to wear a dress.

BRADEN quite obviously doesn't get it.

BRADEN
So ... why don't you?

AKAYLA
Because! I'm fat!

BRADEN
You're not -

AKAYLA
Yes I am!

She gets up and starts pacing.

AKAYLA
I have't worn a dress since I was nine, Braden! That was seven years ago! I just – I can't! I hate my body so much and I want to change it so badly I just don't know how! I need a reason – I need a goal!

BRADEN
And you really think that being able to wear a dress is a good goal?

AKAYLA sighs wearily and sits back down.

AKAYLA
It's not about the dress Braden. It's ...

She trails off not knowing how to explain it. Suddenly she leans forward and grabs a magazine clipping. Upon showing it to BRADEN, we see that it's the picture of the model wearing a beautiful dress.

AKAYLA (cont'd)
Look at her. She wears that dress like it's nothing at all. She looks strong and beautiful and confident. I want to feel like that. That what it's about.

Pause.

AKAYLA
I guess that doesn't make sense to you.

BRADEN
No it does. I mean, I don't relate to it but ... I get it.

He smiles at her. She smiles back, visibly relieved.

Scene 6.

AKAYLA and her MOTHER are eating dinner. AKAYLA's plate is loaded with food and she's scooping more cooked peas onto her plate, while her MOTHER watches incredulously.

MOTHER
Hungry?

AKAYLA
Starving.

She digs into her food hungrily. Her MOTHER just stares.

Scene 7.

This scene is done in silence.

This scene is a montage of clips that should illustrate the story of AKAYLA trying to follow her diet and how little progress she makes.

Clip One: AKAYLA is measuring out breakfast cereal into a quarter cup measure. She dumps it into the bowl and sees how little is in there. She considers and then pours some more cereal into the bowl.

Clip Two: AKAYLA searches through the fridge for something to eat. She comes back with a raw carrot. She nibbles on it half heartedly and closes the door, turning away from the refrigerator – only to find herself facing a box of cookies. She stares at it for a moment transfixed. Then she takes another bite of her carrot resolutely.

Clip Three: AKAYLA and BRADEN are moving through the lunch line at a school cafeteria. AKAYLA talks to BRADEN as he picks out his lunch, but she doesn't buy anything herself, keeping her hands in tight fists at her side.

Clip Four: AKAYLA and BRADEN are playing hangman in English class. BRADEN stares at the so far incomplete word taking shape before him, chewing on the end of his pencil thoughtfully. So far only the letters I and A have been determined.

Clip Five: Back to AKAYLA and the box of cookies. She's finished her carrot and is now doing homework at the kitchen counter. She glances at the cookies from the corner of her eyes and then quickly looks back to her books.

Clip Six: This is another scene where AKAYLA and her MOTHER are eating dinner. AKAYLA eats as though she hasn't in years, shoving food in her mouth without waiting for a breath.

Clip Seven: AKAYLA's on her computer looking at her diet website. She's reading about ways to make the dieting process faster.

Clip Eight: Back to the game of Hangman. BRADEN's still trying to figure out what the word might be. His eyes light up in sudden understanding and he scribbles several letters on the remaining lines. He hands it back to AKAYLA smugly and we see that the word is “Pizza”.

Clip Nine: AKAYLA's counting almonds into a ramekin. When she gets to ten, she stops and looks at them, miserably. Looking guilty, she adds an extra almond to the bowl. She sits for a minute and then eats one, making a face at the dry texture.

Clip Ten: Back to AKAYLA and the box of cookies. Now she's doing anything and everything to keep her mind off the package on the counter. In fact, she's resorted to doing her laundry. She carries a basket full of clothes down the stairs, determinedly ignoring the cookies as she passes the kitchen.

Clip Eleven: AKAYLA is crunching on a stalk of celery.

Clip Twelve: And back to AKAYLA and the box of cookies. The cookies are still lying on the counter. AKAYLA marches around the corner and tears the box of cookies open. She takes a cookie and starts eating it, looking as though she expects to be arrested.
Final Clip: The scene ends with AKAYLA back in front of the bathroom mirror staring at herself expressionlessly.

Scene 8.

AKAYLA and BRADEN are back to playing video games. BRADEN's taking it seriously, perched on the edge of his seat, muttering furiously under his breath. But AKAYLA's curled up in her seat, not really paying attention to the game, her mind on other things. Eventually, BRADEN wins the game but he doesn't celebrate. He glances back at AKAYLA who doesn't seem to realize the game's ended.

BRADEN
... Are you okay?

AKAYLA
Yeah, why do you ask?

BRADEN
This is like the seventh time I've beaten you and you've barely said a word, let alone insulted me.

AKAYLA sighs and sets her controller on the coffee table.

AKAYLA
I just ... I don't know why it's not working.

BRADEN gets it immediately.

BRADEN
The diet.

AKAYLA nods.

AKAYLA
It's been six weeks and I haven't lost a single pound. I checked last night.

BRADEN is clearly uncomfortable with this subject, but he wants to be supportive in AKAYLA's time of need.

BRADEN
Well ... I mean ... is there anything that you could do differently?

AKAYLA
I've been looking at the diet site and they suggest that if you purge one meal a week, you'll lose weight faster.

BRADEN is stunned.

BRADEN
Purge – Akayla, are you serious! You really think that's a good idea?

AKAYLA looks at him slowly, biting her lip. It takes BRADEN a second to understand.

BRADEN (cont'd)
Don't tell me you've already tried it.

AKAYLA looks away again.

AKAYLA
Well, I won't be trying it again. Believe me.

BRADEN
Goddamn it Akayla ... don't you think this had gotten a bit out of hand?

AKAYALA
No.

BRADEN looks at her. Her expression becomes defensive.

AKAYLA (cont'd)
It isn't!

BRADEN finally appears to have had enough.

BRADEN
When are you going to get it? All this dieting and food restriction and self destruction ... It's never going to work! You say you want to be confident but you really just want to lose weight as fast a you possibly can! I've been watching you the past six weeks you know and I'm scared of what I'm seeing!

AKAYLA doesn't respond to his outburst. She looks away, stony faced. BRADEN sighs heavily.

BRADEN (cont'd)
Why do you do this? I've never heard you say a single good thing about yourself.

AKAYLA
That's because there's nothing good about me.

BRADEN
Oh really? Nothing? You're funny, you can make me laugh with the most random things that come out of your mouth. You're smart, you're the only person with a passing mark in Professor Harpunkle's class. You're talented, you think I wouldn't love to be able to spout ridiculous Star Wars themed poetry the way you do?

AKAYLA laughs at that. BRADEN looks her straight in the eye.

BRADEN (cont'd)
Believe it or not, I'm actually quite fond of my best friend. Please don't lose her.

AKAYLA doesn't have anything to say.

Scene 9.

It's late at night, AKAYLA's lying in bed to preoccupied with the thoughts in her head to sleep. After a moment she slowly gets out of bed and opens the door quietly so as not to wake her MOTHER. She opens the bathroom door and steps inside. She stands once more in front the mirror staring at the body she hates. Her expression is unclear.

Slowly, she opens a counter drawer and rummages through until she finds a pair of scissors. Breathing heavily, she opens them and holds the blade over her wrist. For a second, she seems suspended in time, her heartbeat pounding in her head, her breath laboured.

Suddenly, she drops the scissors back into the drawer and slams it shut. There's a moment of almost stunned silence as she regards herself in the mirror. Suddenly she dissolves into tears and doubles over the sink.

Scene 10.

BRADEN and AKAYLA are sitting in the school cafeteria. BRADEN's eating, AKAYLA, of course, is not. There's a very uncomfortable silence around them until CLARA approaches. She's fit, good looking and walks in ridiculous platform heels as though it's the easiest thing she's ever done. She's carrying a home packed lunch.

CLARA
Mind if I sit here?

AKAYLA and BRADEN don't seem to know what to do, having never been a part of social popularity.

BRADEN
Uh ... yeah, sure. Go ahead.

CLARA smiles, sits and opens her lunch.

CLARA
Thanks, my name's Clara. I'm new here. I totally thought I was going to be the kid sitting by myself.

The three of them sit in silence for a moment. CLARA notices that AKAYLA doesn't have a lunch and holds out half of her sandwich.

CLARA (cont'd)
You can have it if you want.

AKAYLA
No. Thank you.

Beat.

AKAYLA (cont'd)
I'm on a diet.

CLARA regards her curiously for a moment then takes a bite of her sandwich, looking thoughtful.

Scene 11.

It's very early morning. AKAYLA's alarm clock reads five – fifty in the morning. AKAYLA herself is fast asleep – until her phone starts ringing. AKAYLA shoots awake and looks around wildly before her eyes land on her phone. She picks it up, yawning, and puts it to her ear.

AKAYLA
Hello?

She listens for a moment, a look of confusion on her face.

AKAYLA
Clara? It's six in the morning!

She listens for another couple seconds.

AKAYLA
Wait, what? Clara, how'd you get my number? Hello? Hello?

Scene 12.

CLARA is waiting for AKAYLA on the sidewalk of a street. She's dressed for excersise. AKAYLA shows up in sweatpants and a t – shirt, looking very, very tired.

AKAYLA
Okay, I'm here. What do you want?

CLARA doesn't answer the question. She tilts her head looking confused.

CLARA
Did you bring a change of clothes for school?

AKAYLA
These are my school clothes.

CLARA looks her up and down.

CLARA
You're joking! Well, we're just going to have to fix that but right now we're going running.

AKAYLA
Wait, what?

CLARA
You want to lose weight? There are better ways than excessive dieting, now come on!

She starts running down the street. AKAYLA watches her, still looking surprised and mildly disgusted. She's weighing her options and thinking hard. Suddenly she shakes her head, tired of thinking. She's finally had enough.

AKAYLA
What the hell?

She starts running.

Scene 13.

This scene is also mostly done in silence. Like Scene Seven, this is a montage of clips, illustrating a story. But this is a much longer and rewarding story and throughout the scene, it's apparent that AKAYLA is losing weight and acting more confidant.

Clip One: AKAYLA's doubled over, hands on her knees, wheezing heavily. CLARA's trying to convince her to keep going.

CLARA
Come on. Just to that corner.

Clip Two: CLARA jogs across the frame looking graceful and strong. AKAYLA follows a moment later, bent over, stumbling and breathing heavily.

Clip Three: CLARA and BRADEN are in english class, sitting on either side of AKAYLA who's fallen asleep on her desk. BRADEN raises his eyebrows at Clara. She shrugs innocently.

Clip Three: AKAYLA and CLARA are at a mall inside a clothing store. CLARA's moving at the speed of a squirrel on caffeine, picking out clothes and holding them against AKAYLA's body to see if they're worth trying on. In contrast, AKAYLA looks incredibly flustered. CLARA holds up a pair of platform high heels for her to try on. Her eyes widen in terror.

Clip Four: AKAYLA's alarm is beeping at her incessantly. It tells her it's six in the morning. She hits the snooze button and drags herself out of bed.

Clip Five: AKAYLA runs doggedly down the street, while CLARA waits for her to catch up at the cross walk. AKAYLA stops at least twenty feet short of that goal and collapses onto her back.

Clip Six: Now CLARA has one of her hands and is trying to drag AKAYLA to her feet with little success.

Clip Seven: AKAYLA's standing in front of the bathroom mirror, wearing a fitted top. She's fidgeting with it, clearly uncomfortable. She pulls it down over her thighs and then up to cover her chest.

Clip Eight: AKAYLA's arrived at school after running and changing in the bathroom. She's unwrapping a chocolate muffin and is about to take a bite out of it when CLARA suddenly appears out of no where. She takes the muffin and hands AKAYLA an orange.

Clip Nine: AKAYLA is staying over at CLARA's house, who's put her in a pair of heels and is trying to teach her to walk gracefully. AKAYLA stumbles around, her arms at her sides for balance.

Clip Ten: AKAYLA's alarm is going off again, telling her that it is six o'clock and time to meet CLARA. She wakes up faster than usual and, while not exactly skipping excitedly, gets out of bed willingly.
Clip Eleven: AKAYLA runs behind CLARA. She isn't keeping up but she has a look of grim determination on her face.

Clip Twelve: Back to CLARA's house and trying to learn to walk in heels. CLARA forces her arms down and uses her hand to guide AKAYLA forwards. After a minute she stops and AKAYLA keeps walking, holding her balance.

Clip Thirteen: AKAYLA and BRADEN are playing video games on the living room couch. They're both completely focused and yelling at each other competitively.

Clip Fourteen: AKAYLA runs across the frame. She's not particularly fast, but she isn't stopping either. Braden follows a moment later, bent over, stumbling and breathing heavily.

Clip Fifteen: BRADEN's doubled over, hands on his knees, wheezing. AKAYLA's trying to convince him to keep going.

AKAYLA
Come on, just to the next corner.

Clip Sixteen: AKAYLA's in her room looking at the magazine clipping of the model in the dress. For the first time in a long time her goal seems halfway reachable. She tacks the picture on the wall beside her bed.

Clip Sixteen: AKAYLA and CLARA are shopping again. AKAYLA still doesn't look very confident in this pastime but she's trying to have an open mind about it. CLARA darts off in pursuit of something that caught her eye. AKAYLA catches sight of a pair of shoes that she appears to like. She approaches the shelf hesitantly and checks the price tag.

Clip Seventeen: AKAYLA is looking through a cookbook called “100 Best Health Foods”. She flips through curiously, looking at the recipes. She stops at one that looks manageable.

Clip Eighteen: Now AKAYLA's cooking the recipe. It's a fruit smoothie of some sort. She pours it into a cup and takes a sip. And then another.

Clip Nineteen: AKAYLA's alarm is going off. She hits the snooze button and jumps out of bed eagerly.

Clip Twenty: AKAYLA and CLARA are running. AKAYLA's still not catching up, but she looks a lot more comfortable with the sport.

Clip Twenty One: AKAYLA CLARA and BRADEN are sitting in the school cafeteria. AKAYLA and CLARA are both eating greek salad out of a tupperware container.

Clip Twenty Two: AKAYLA is staying over at CLARA's house again. This time, CLARA's giving her a make over while they chat and laugh.

Clip Twenty Three: Now AKAYLA is at home, attempting to do her own make up.

Clip Twenty Four: AKAYLA walks through the hall at school. She's wearing fitted jeans, a cute top and tall heels. She looks good but a little shy when a few people stop to compliment her. BRADEN watches her from his locker looking flabbergasted.

Clip Twenty Five: AKAYLA is eating dinner with her MOTHER. She has a healthy appetite, but she's eating normally. She and her MOTHER are talking easily.

Clip Twenty Six: AKAYLA's alarm is going off but she's already awake and changed with her bag on her shoulder. She hits the dismiss button and exits the room.

Clip Twenty Seven: AKAYLA and CLARA are running through the streets of the town, they're keeping pace and AKAYLA finally looks graceful.

Clip Twenty Eight: AKAYLA's in the bathroom looking in the mirror. She's long since discarded her baggy jeans and t – shirts. She looks fit and healthy and, most of all, happy.

Scene 14.

AKAYLA and CLARA are waiting to cross the street. They've just finished a run and are flushed and breathing hard, but in a good way. The traffic stops and they cross the street, arm in arm.

CLARA
I never did ask.

AKAYLA
Yeah?

CLARA
What was all this for? The losing weight and the eating healthier and exercising ... what was the reason?

AKAYLA considers CLARA as they walk down the street and she finds that she's no longer embarrassed by her goal.

AKAYLA
I had this vision in my mind of myself wearing a dress and looking and feeling good about it. I wanted to feel confident and happy and just do something that other teenage girls did. So, I started out by doing all of this for a dress.

CLARA
And now?

AKAYLA
Now ... the dress is a symbol. Obtaining that which felt unobtainable. Doing something that terrified me.

CLARA listens to her talk, her smile slowly growing wider.

AKAYLA
Yeah, I know. Go ahead laugh.

CLARA
What? No! That isn't what I meant. I think that's amazing, Akayla!

AKAYLA glances at her tentatively.

AKAYLA
Really?

CLARA
Really.

AKAYLA smiles.

AKAYLA
Thanks.

CLARA
Any time.

They continue walking down the street, arm in arm, talking and laughing at something unimportant.

Scene 15.

AKAYLA and BRADEN are back home from school at AKAYLA's house. AKAYLA grabs an apple from the fruit bowl. BRADEN takes one two. She raises her eyebrows at him.

BRADEN
What can I say? Peer pressure and all that.

AKAYLA grins.

AKAYLA
At least I'm not influencing you to do drugs.

They go into the living room and sit on the couch. BRADEN looks nervous as though he's about to do something that terrifies him.

BRADEN
Um, Akayla? I was wondering ... you know the end of year school dance?

AKAYLA
Yeah.

BRADEN
Were you planning on going at all? Has anyone asked you

AKAYLA (laughing)
No ... I've never been asked out in my life Braden. I'll probably be here, studying. What, you're not going, are you?

BRADEN
Well, I don't know ... I thought it might be fun.

AKAYLA
You? Dancing?

BRADEN
Hey, I'm only going to be in high school once I may as well get the full experience!

The two of them laugh.

AKAYLA
Fair enough. If you don't mind me asking, why did you bring this up in the first place?

BRADEN takes a deep breath.

BRADEN
Because I had thought ... I mean, maybe, if you wanted, you ... could come with me.

There's a very stunned silence.

AKAYLA
You're asking me to be your date at the dance?

BRADEN
Maybe ...

AKAYLA tilts her head curiously.

AKAYLA
Why?

BRADEN
I don't know ... I just – I look at you Akayla, compared to the person you were six months ago and I'm amazed. I'm proud of you. I've never been more proud of anyone in my life.

AKAYLA's smile grows wider.

BRADEN
So ... what do you say?

Scene 16.

It's early morning. AKAYLA and CLARA have just met and are about to start their run, but they've gotten sidetracked.

CLARA
He asked you out?

AKAYLA
Well, yeah ... to the dance.

CLARA
And?

AKAYLA assumes an expression of polite confusion. CLARA grabs her by the shoulders and shakes her.

CLARA (cont'd)
What did you say!?

AKAYLA
I said yes! Geez, Clara, it's not a big deal. It's just Braden.

CLARA laughs.

CLARA
Just Braden? Akayla you are so blind!

She gives her another affectionate shake and releases her.

CLARA (cont'd)
You know what this means though?

AKAYLA
Yeah?

CLARA
It's time to start looking for your dress.

She gives AKAYLA a knowing look and then starts running.

Scene 17.

Scene opens on a busy clothing store. Perhaps Bluenotes, Thrifty's, Stitches, or something universally accepted as a teenage girl store. CLARA is sitting in the changing room area. There's a stack of already tried on dresses beside her. The changing room door opens and AKAYLA steps out wearing a hideous dress that sports more ruffles than it does anything else.

CLARA
You're not serious.

AKAYLA
What? It's like a sexy cupcake look.

She places one hand on her hip trying to look seductive. CLARA laughs.

CLARA
If we've come to this, I think we can safely write off this store as well.

Scene 18.

Now AKAYLA and CLARA are walking through the mall. They're empty handed as far as clothing go.

CLARA
What if you never find it?

AKAYLA
I'll find it.

CLARA
How can you state that with such confidence? We've been to every store!

AKAYLA
I can state that with such confidence because six months ago I didn't think I could break my addiction to Oreos. Six months ago, I never thought I'd be able to run more than a few feet. Six months ago I didn't think I could eat an orange for breakfast and be happy about it. Now look at me. If I can do all that, I can find a dress.

They stop outside of a slightly more mature clothing shop (Cleo or Le Chateau).

AKAYLA (cont'd)
We haven't been in there.

CLARA
It's the most expensive store in the whole building!

AKAYLA
I'm celebrating.

She starts towards the store, leaving CLARA to follow her. Inside the store, CLARA looks through some of the clothes on display. She checks the price tag of a blouse, mouthes; “Fifty dollars!?” and puts the shirt back. She looks to where AKAYLA is looking through dress racks.

CLARA
Find anything you like yet?

AKAYLA
No, not yet.

CLARA goes back to looking through clothes. AKAYLA sighs and turns away from the dress rack. She looks through the displays of colourful dress after colourful dress. She turns her head slowly at something that catches her eye and stares at the display for a minute (the shots should be set up so that we don't actually see the dress in this scene) then slowly walks towards it. She traces the neckline of the dress hesitantly and checks the price tag.

Scene fades out.

Scene 19.

BRADEN and AKAYLA's MOTHER are sitting across from each other in the living room. BRADEN is dressed semi formally and looks pasty and terrified, as though he can't possibly imagine what he was thinking. AKAYLA's MOTHER looks extremely amused but is trying to hide it out of pity. After a moment, footsteps are heard on the stairs and the two of them stand up at the same time. AKAYLA is coming down the stairs wearing her dress. For moment BRADEN is struck dumb by how strong, confidant and beautiful she looks. She catches him staring at her and stops halfway down the stairs.

AKAYLA (self consciously)
What?

BRADEN
I ... Nothing. I just realized that this is the first time I've seen you wear a dress.

AKAYLA
Yeah, that was kind of the point.

He nods. She nods. It's awkward. Suddenly they both start laughing.

Scene 20. Epilogue

AKAYLA's MOTHER is standing on the porch, grinning like a lunatic. She holds a camera up to her eye enthusiastically.

MOTHER
All right, you two. Smile!

There's a flash that drowns out the image and when we refocus, it's on a picture of BRADEN and AKAYLA standing in the garden, about to leave for the dance. AKAYLA's smile tells the story of long, hard fought battle that she finally won.

Okay, so as a kid I was always *ahem* "fat" Not exactly Dumbo the Elephant, but I can't say I've ever worn anything even remotely form fitting. A couple years ago, I started Dance and realized that there were forms of physical activity that I could not only love, but do well at. I'm just ending my second year of dance and have started running, trying to speed up the process. I'm losing weight but it's slow and I'm okay with that for now. My ultimate goal in all this was to wear a dress and feel good about it. I decided to turn that goal into a film script. This was the result.