Conversation | Teen Ink

Conversation

By PaigeSmith SILVER, Hemet, California
PaigeSmith SILVER, Hemet, California

A writer is only as good as their true life experiences.

(Scene opens on a candle lit sitting room, Mr. Billingsley is pacing waiting for the arrival of Lady Jaden, a small table stage right is set with tea)

Mr. Billingsley: (Frantically) Where has she run off to? I have frightened many a woman off before, but never none I have wished so hardly to keep. Her attention is of comparison to a dog. Always snapping her head this way and that to over listen to the conversation held by others. (Pauses) 'Tis the fashion for women nowadays though. Why nowadays, one can learn as much from school as the informative device we call a woman. Where has she run off to? That insidious woman, vile as she, unformidable as she. Yet I desire, or so I believe I do, to be in her presence. What a marvelous creature Lady Jaden is. Oh, she finally enters!
(Enter Lady Jaden)
Lady Jaden, my kindest lady, my sweetest lady. You look as if the stars have kissed your eye and the maiden painted her blush upon your cheeks. (Sighs) Are you entreated to a man? (Aside) Though I pray for the man that would be foolish enough to take to you.

Lady Jaden: No my dear Billingsley, despairingly no.

Mr. Billingsley: Despairingly my lady? Why shouldn't one be happy to roam freely?

Lady Jaden: Mr. Billingsley, to your attention might I bring my age of twenty-one.

Mr. Billingsley: I am aware of your recent coming of age Lady Jaden. But to what advantage
does this bring forth to my question?

Lady Jaden: It brings the matter that I fear of becoming an old maid. For many men think me as awful as the rat, as unwanted as the poor countrymen. Men want nothing to do with me. The ladies of my society leagues desire to discard me as tainted.Why even I hardly want to know myself!

Mr. Billingsley: You regard this all as true? All the gossip of the jealous women?

Lady Jaden: Women jealous of me! How preposterous my dear Billingsley. Preposterous indeed. As a matter of fact I do believe it true. Do you truly believe it?

Mr. Billingsley: No my lady. But yet let me make of point how odd women make of things. And add to that point that by far I am yet to hear a true thing from them. Therefore they are jealous in my eye. (Aside) Which is not saying much being my poor lack of character judgement, but let her believe she is envied for a few more moments.

Lady Jaden: Why do you try and flatter me so?

Mr. Billingsley: Flattery my lady?

Lady Jaden: If not flattery then what is your purpose?

Mr. Billingsley: Purpose my lady? Why would one seek out purpose to speak? I for one have never sought such a thing.

Lady Jaden: Well that is merely silly. If one has no purpose why does one bother to speak?

Mr. Billingsley: I have never felt need to come forth to conversation nor gossip with purpose.

Lady Jaden: Conversation is to be held amongst men. Gossip for women, as is the fashion. For if a women joins in conversation, she is considered crude and attractive. And if a man to join gossip, he would be known as a traitor to his kind.

Mr. Billingsley: Are you always this persistent in winning Lady Jaden? What prize do you even seek out to win?

Lady Jaden: Winning? Since when has talk needed to be awarded?

Mr. Billingsley: Never my lady. You are seemingly ironic and contradictory. For you claim to be against conversation and only for gossip, yet you have ignored chance to gossip as it was offered and in it's place you decided to fill with conversation. What a funny woman you are! Hysterical indeed my lady. What leaves you so entangled in your mindset? What leaves you to decided right and wrong, winning and losing, conversation and gossip?

Lady Jaden: Ah I see Mr. Billingsley. One like you must always be correct and proper. Must always be in the right. That is men for you. If you desire to dine and drink alone, I shall grant your wish and pardon myself out. (Moves to leave) Delightful to see you sir. Your company was much craved.

Mr. Billingsley: (Blocking Lady Jaden's exit) Do you comprehend the magnitude of your
doings? Let us move together to the tea I have prepared to wet our lips and re-quench a new topic before we move to the hall to eat. For neither you nor myself want you to part ways so early. Stay, enlighten me with the maze of your mind my lady. For I have heard it it by far interesting. And if you do not agree with me after we finish tonight, I shall never ask to be entreated by your company again.
(Both exit)

on Dec. 26 2012 at 1:16 am
PaigeSmith SILVER, Hemet, California

Thank you for the concern that my original work could be copied from someone else, it was both offensive and a compliment. However, no in fact this is not based at all upon Pride and Prejudice. I infact detest that particular piece of work. It just so happens to have similar naming, that's all nothing more. Sorry to disapoint you.

on Dec. 24 2012 at 5:51 am
LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other

Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

Is this based on the characters from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen? Mr Bingley and Lady Jane... They're names are similiar in this piece too. Is this a scene from the book/film? I can't remember. If it isn't, then nice imagination and it's very well written. But if it is, then it's copyright.

on Nov. 10 2012 at 8:41 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Wow. You're a great writer! You use great vocabulary and I can totally imagine this scene in my head. Great job! This is very well-written.   (: