List My Flaws and Say Them Aloud | Teen Ink

List My Flaws and Say Them Aloud

By Luma BRONZE, Red Bank, New Jersey
Luma BRONZE, Red Bank, New Jersey

BOTH 

*stomp onto the stage from the opposite ends, turning around* 

JUST LEAVE ME ALONE! 

*slams door and goes to the mirror, sighing as they lean against the wardrobe with both hands*

. . .

MIRROR

*stops copying, looks up, and says almost tauntingly* 

So, you got into another fight, huh? 

*head tilted*

GIRL

*not meeting her gaze, snappy* 

Oh shut up. You know I don’t wanna talk about it right now. I don’t need to hear you 

MIRROR

*shaking her head* 

You’ve always had such a quick temper, you should really consider getting that under control.

GIRL

*shaky hands, clenched into fists* 

I JUST TOLD YOU TO, Shut. Up. All I want- 

*takes a breath* 

all I need is some peace and quiet, okay?!?

MIRROR

*eyes narrow in but silences herself for a moment* 

Why do you have to be this way? You’re too stubborn for your own good. 

*sighs* You’re doing it again you know

GIRL

*shakes her head as she backs away from the mirror * 

No, no I’m not

MIRROR

Yes you are. You’re pushing them away. It’s like- you keep trying to beat your own record of “What can make people hate me the fastest?” Oh, but I guess this time around it's: “How Disappointed can Mom be of me?”

GIRL

*annoyed, shaking her head and snarling* 

Oh don’t get me started. You don't get to pull the “Disappointing Mom” Card. I know the consequences of my actions. Why can’t you do the same? So just- stop doing that. Because you’re really starting to piss me off.

MIRROR

Doing what exactly? Being right?

GIRL

*head snaps towards her as she takes a step forward* 

No! I mean acting as if you’re better than me when you’re not! I’M NOT BEING STUBBORN! I’M NOT TRYING TO MAKE PEOPLE HATE ME! I’M. NOT. WRONG. You are. 

*Takes another step*

But even if I am wrong, that doesn’t make you any better.

*looks MIRROR up and down*

I’m the thing that gives you life. You’re my reflection so stop acting like you’re anything more than that.

MIRROR

Oh, I don’t have to act, I am more than that, I don’t need you. You need me. Because I’m better than you. 

*turns to the audience, arms up in the air* 

I’m the you capable of saying no to people. 

*turns to look at GIRL, nodding her head with words after can* 

The you who can actually keep a friend longer than a month. If you don’t think I’m better than you, then tell me what makes you so great.

GIRL

*takes a step back* 

I- stop acting all high and mighty

*gaze falls to the floor*

MIRROR

I won’t if you just say how incredible you are. 

GIRL

I don’t- It’s no- I have no reason to give an answer to the likes of you.

MIRROR

There’s no need to avoid the question. Go on, tell me. Tell me your mountains of achievements. How you barely avoided failing every class. How you were a friendless loser ever since the end of primary school. How you had the largest target for bullying. Those are all great achievements, aren’t they?

GIRL

*stepped back with every point*

. . .

MIRROR

Well isn’t that just rich, you got nothing to say? What’s making you bite your tongue, huh? 

GIRL

. . .

MIRROR

Oh c’mon. Don’t give me the silent treatment. Forgive me? I just needed to remind you that I’m your voice of reason. Because I’m the better you. 

*hands gesturing towards GIRL then opening up to the audience, smiling as she looks out*

I mean, just look at me. 

*GIRL doesn’t respond and MIRROR frowns and turns* 

Look at me.

GIRL

*looks up*

MIRROR

*sweetly* You’re such a nuisance

GIRL

I know I am

MIRROR

There’s a reason people are always quick to leave you

GIRL

I- I know that

MIRROR

*sweet with faint anger* 

I hope you realize how much of a burden you are. That nothing, no one, could fix someone as broken as you

GIRL

*sighs and steps forward* 

Just stop. You don’t need to rub it in my face. I know that I’m a burden. You don’t need to repeat yourself. Just leave me alone

MIRROR

*noticeably angry* 

Oh, don’t taunt me. You know that I can’t. It’s a curse to be your reflection

GIRL

*dejected* I know it is. I know now, *steps closer* that you were right all along

MIRROR

*Smiles, thinking she’s won*

I’m glad you’ve finally come to your senses.

GIRL

I really am too stubborn

*MIRROR can only reach out before GIRL punches the mirror*

*flicking the shards out of her hand* 

but it is for my own good. I’m not a burden, not to me, or my mom, or my friends. You were, you and your stupidly convincing lies. You don’t control me. I won’t let you.

This piece played around with the idea of the personification of a person's reflection. People can see their reflection in a lot of stuff so I'd bet that someone's reflection would know a lot about a person, thats why I think that they'd have a lot of dirt on them. This would be bad all on its own but it would be even worse for someone already struggling with their self esteem. Although the main character could have easily allowed her reflection to control her, even a person with low self esteem would at least like to have control over their mind. This is why the ending involved the girl overcoming her demons, or in this case, her own reflection.