The Moon's humanity | Teen Ink

The Moon's humanity

May 30, 2018
By triforcewarrior4 BRONZE, Peperpike, Ohio
triforcewarrior4 BRONZE, Peperpike, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was  a dark  night And the full  moon  glowed dimly casting  a shadowy light  over every tree in the  murky forest.  While a small child  was out looking for his father he was unaware to the other  creature stalking these  woods.   The boy growing more and more  anxious by the moment  called out  for his lost parent..it was a mistake his father was too far away to hear but IT wasn’t and it could  smell the crisp scent  of a  frightened child unable to defend himself from the  hulking beast that lurked in the forest’s shadows .   then like a flash of grey lighting it leaped from its place of concealment and pounced on horrified victim,  ... thud! alphons forced his red   crusted  eyes open tears surging down his face like a  river.  he looked up at the bed he had just fallen  from “just a dream.. Just a dream” he told himself with a dolefully even though  he knew it wasn’t a dream,  it was a flashback.  He groaned laying there for a moment before he groggily picked himself back up wiping the blood from his hands and face… it wasn’t his blood he knew but he felt just as if it were “Poor kid” he thought.  Saldy this sort of thing had   become routine to him. His lycanthropy was unpredictable and he had no idea when he might lose control and turn into the vicious  wolf like beast  of the night known as a werewolf.   Whatever the case he left  his small shelter of a home and looked for anything to steer  his thoughts away  from  the  horrible visions of cannibalistic murder  that flooded his weary  conscience .  lazily alphons  stumbled toward the tavern not sure why may it was inctent the he  half remembered  he was supposed to be there for something but what was it … “emilya !” alphons recalled, suddenly his sluggish strides  transformed  into brisk running.  He remembered he promised to meet her  there it was their favourite spot where they could talk and enjoy good food and drink .
Finally he arrived at the crealy old but still welcoming buidling unetntuantl glancing up at the crooked sign with a picture a wolf’s head on it with suitable fitting text the read “the wolf’s den”  how fitting  alphons thought and stepped inside searching for  the young  woman with chestnut  hair and green eyes. “Em!”  he called and she waved in response to her nickname motioning for him to sit down next to her. “Your early” she remarked
“yeah I guess..” he said uncerintly.
“For you I mean”  emilya chimed in just take make sure it was clear.
“Am I really that late normally?”  alphons inquired  “Normally yes but these past few weeks it seems you’ve stopped sleeping in so much, has something happened? Are you okay?” the worried woman  demanded to know. “I’m fine”  he lied.  Nothing was fine for him. Not since 14 nights ago that is.  He remembered that evening as if it had been yesterday, that night was night he had become this horrible monster and had taken on the accursed form of a werewolf, for most of the time he was but a man. But every so often during the night when all was silent he would feel it coming, he would feel as if his heart and  soul were seething and screaming  rushing out of him  in a immense shock of pain. Giving way to the abhorrent  beast inside him. On a rare occasion he was able to resit the beast. But never on a full moon when the werewolf was at its strongest. He was out in that  dense forest of old oak  trees, when he happened to pass a pecuraly looking bush with rather odd looking flowers on it. “Such a strange plant” he had so ignorantly marveled. Foolishly he  plucked  one of the flowers from the bush’s grasp.  “  I wonder if emylia would like one of these.. they really are beautiful aren’t they?” alphons said still dazzled by both the flower beauty and intrigue  when suddenly it let out a cloud a silver dust with an enormous puff.  The dust was in his eyes, his nose, his mouth and his entire body. Hurriedly rubbing his eyes in futile gesture.. “Hey you there!, you okay?.. Alphons say something?” emylia said  jotling him awake  “yeah! Yeah! I’m awake! sorry I was just… thinking.”  he barely managed to say. “Okay but don’t scare me like that again.” demanded the woman with a sigh of relief. “Um emyila.. People are looking at us weird.” said alphons nervously. And they were, most of of them were just common folk wearing  confused looks.  But there was one who was not like the others who bore no sign of commonality and  In place of the puzzled expression that most wore he had a long  dark flowing  trench coat that ran  down his sides matching in color with his jet black hair. His features that were not covered from the tall round hat on top of his head. Were  just as sharp as the  silver coated  sword that lay partly  unsheathed at his side. A Witch Hunter alphons thought  this could be dangerous.  not only did they  have the belgarain king’s  right  to do as they pleased, But they also were experts in finding and killing monsters. Monsters like alphons.  And if legend was true they exactly how to dispose of any monster they encountered. Armed to the teeth with a silver coated monster slaying  sword, a crossbow, and a  set other smalls blades and a aditanal sword for any people that stood their way . They often had a reputation of making inkeeps nervous more than anything else.  “Oh I guess there are some people looking at us. But really is that so bad?” said  Emilia's smiling face at other side of the table.  She leaned forward a bit and her voice turned into a whisper “it’s getting late.. I should probably go soo… you know  before it gets dark..”
“Oh sure”. His attention now  focused on the long coated  silver blade the witch hunter possed. Sliver according to legend alphons knew,  was the ideal metal for one who wishes to slay a monster, and if there was A witch hunter here Alphons though . That meant  that someone  had found sufficient enough evidence to send for this cold hearted  killer “ you what come to think of it me too”   alphons said quicker than he meant to and stood up also quicker then he meant to acsentdently knocking it of it’s four wooden legs. “  I’m sorry! But I really have to now!” he shouted behind him at Emylia as he ran out the door leaving her dazed and if anyone  wasn’t obviously glaring him before they were now especially the one man’s attention he had to avoid the most. The Witch Hunter who  had been watching him with keen interest the whole time..  and now stealthy he followed suit after him out the door seeing something was clearly off.  Whether the witch hunter already knew alphons  was a werewolf  or not  Alphons had no clue. The only thing he could say for certain is he didn’t already he would soon if he didn’t do something.   abruptly the younger alphons stopped  to  turn and  face the slightly older and more muscular figure before him. “Can I help you?” asked alphons doing his best not to sound sucpois. “I don’t know.. Can you? It depends, how much you know about werewolves.” Said  looming  figure who’s cold eyes seemed to  piercing into the deepest corner of alphonse's mind, taking his breath from his lungs and the words from his mouth.
“W-w-werewolves?” alphons stammered “why… why would I know much about those?...things”  he added and it was only after he spoke the words that  he realized just how disbelieving he sounded. “How about this?” began the Hunter.  “Tonight’s a full moon” He said attempting to judge any reaction alphons gave. “ And for your own pretaction, why don’t I stay outside you house tonight, eh? Just to make sure your okay. We wouldn’t want any werewolves to get you now would we? He let the last words out with a cold, bitter growl. And the message was all to clear.   “No” alphons said. He knew if he disagreed it would only harber further sucposions.  In the dead of night the full moon finally rose and alphons was laying sprawled out of his bed shaking,shivering, and snalerling.  He felt his hair raise and become fur he felt his spine stretching and claws growing in place of his short nails  suddenly he knew it was coming with unstoppable force the complete transformation where he would lose his mind,body and soul the the vicious beast and relquish any formal control he had. “AAAAGH!” he screamed. “Everything okay in there?”  The witch hunter asked from outside the door. And with his now  senses alphons could hear him drawing the terrifying silver coated sword preparing himself for what he was to come. In place of replay alphons let out his last  screech before he could no longer speak eligible words suddenly the door burst open into pieces shattering as the massive beast charged itself through barely passing the witch hunter.  Then raring to see it’s opponent wielding his shining blade in quick strokes then heavy  swings as he was filled adrenaline and purpose to kill the vicious beats before anyone else he knew would perish. As the sounds of shouting and slashing filled the dark air around them.  “Not this time”  he thought, not again would he fail to protect someone from another monster. “ This time I kill it!”  He screamed mentually at this point he didn’t care that the werewolf was keeping alphons trapped in its body. He didn’t care at this point if alphons himself was still a kind hearted man not much older than his own son. Right now all he could see was the  hideous beast that feasted on the flesh of men. he became increasingly berserk lunging and trusting the deadly weapon at the monster. ’ he screamed  However the werewolf was fast enough   to avoided  his vengeful strokes each times  they came until eventually. Human fatigue caught up with the man and his  final attack was parried   the monster saw it’s opportunity and took it without hesitation   charging straight into the man with the full force of it”s heavy body  then biting into the hunter’s  own left  shoulder tearing the cloth and flesh away  with it’s muscular jaws. And as if  the werewolf couldn’t possibly be any faster it came around again this time with its massive arms   striking him. Sending   the injured fighter flying several yards brutally tearing at the skin of his right hand  before  skidding to a stop. Whee the witch hunter was now  lying sideways on the ground sword still clutched firmly in his bloody hand.  The seemingly  triumphant creature had been able to understand human speak would be shocked to hear  the words “Now!” spring form the human mouth. Turning its head  around only because of clicking noise that rang in the horrible creature’s  ears  the clicking  noise it quickly realized was a crossbow bolt being loaded  and fired but before what was formerly  alphons could move he felt the heavy shaft inbend itself in the middle of his back he staggered a few paces forward but then creeply turned to face  the new man although the bolt  landed   a direct and normally fatal hit on the beast it was still standing for it was a werewolf which meant that it’s only true weakness was silver and without it the creature was nearly indiscutible.  Confidente of its victory it  hurreled itself forward only to be reminded of it’s weakness. A  sliver weapon was puturding from his chest covered in his blood  but how? Who? Then alphons even his uncotroable beiastual rage remebered the determined witch hunter and the little boy who had been his victim only yesterday. It made sense he thought.. A parent would never die so easily without paying their  child’s killer in blood.The silver sword gleamed a even brighter glow  when covered in the deep crimson red of blood. Slowly  alphons descended  to his knees.  he slowly reverted   back into the form that more truly reflected his soul  a young  man with a boyish face and body  that  higlted his bright blue eyes and who’s  blond hair almost reached his shoulder. The flaming glow in the witch hunter's eye was exstew shed  and replaced with sorrowful look  and tears that came down like the remains of rain at the end of a storm  .  He glanced down at the glistening blood stained blade then back  into the dying boy’s eyes it had only now just dawned on him what he had done… killing monsters was his job, but murdering a iconcnet boy  was far from it. struggling to move  alphons barely managed to stand  but alphons wasn’t fighting, he was running. No longer the werewolf T he slumped down against a tree after a few second   just staring into the vast sky so wide and free. He watched it turn a purplish color in the rising sun’s promising light that warmed his heart. “This won’t be so bad” he  said wiping the tears from his face and taking the soft hand off his  wounds. “It’s beautiful isn’t” said he voice from behind him “yeah..”
“I’m sorry it to end this way” said the black haired  man with genuine morning. “Really?, I’m not.” alphons started “ I deserved it for what I did”
“no you didn’t it wasn’t your fault” the hunter cut in but he was quieted by the slight lift of the boy’s hand  “what was his name?” Jonathan” said the witch hunter looking down. “Well.. I’ll make sure to tell him I’m sorry when I seem there.. Just promise this  one thing will you? Alphons said softly “I want to you to find a cure for this deise, lycanthropy.” before the other man  could say anything  alphons spoke again “and there’s one more thing” he said “my final request...  just promise you won't   tell emylia. Please. She’s the onyt thing in my life that hasn’t died at my touch.”
“Of course..I promise. ”  gently  spoke  the kneeling figure beside him.
“Thank you”. The dying man croacked
“Alphons?”
“Yes?”
“I want you to remember something for me now okay?” he began looking alphons right in his  two oceans others called eyes.. “Even though you may have been the monster you were always more human than me”  
Alphons looked up in suprise he hadn’t ever thought any one could consider him human anymore  And with  last breath he tunred his head  toward the heavens  with a smile on his face as he spoke his dying words “ wow it’s- it’s so  Beautiful”
“More human than me alphons.. More human than me”