The Capital Punishment | Teen Ink

The Capital Punishment

By Telkied BRONZE, Carbondale, Illinois
Telkied BRONZE, Carbondale, Illinois

A brown rabbit crouched low to the ground, sniffing for signs of food, it’s furry ears oblivious to the imminent danger. Overhead, the morning sky turned red as the sun peeked over the horizon. Suddenly, with a twang,  a sleek arrow embedded itself in the ground a foot away from the rabbit. In a flash, the fluffy creature is gone, leaving the clearing silent. Sighing, Vandyn arose from her hidden position in a nearby clump of bushes, her green cloak seeming to appear out of nowhere. Her hunting trip had been fruitless, most of her prey escaping with ease. She hadn’t been able to focus ever since her dad was taken. She recalled the day, while not two weeks ago, it seemed like a world away. She had returned home to her village, Serena, after a hunting trip just like this one to a sore sight. Imperial guards from the capital of Prodecia lined the city square, their gleaming steal armor in contrast to the wooden buildings around them. Without a reason, without stating a cause, they had shackled her father and taken him to the capital. Ever since her mother had died of a terrible sickness, Vandyn had been close to her father. He was her only family left and while most nineteen year olds sought independence and freedom, Vandyn enjoyed the love of a caring father. Now, in addition to stealing their food, money, and freedom, the capital had stolen her father.
As the forest thinned before her, it gave way to a sea of wooden homes. The smell breakfast cooking over open fires wafted it’s way across the pale sky. Her village, the Serena lay spread out before her. As she made her way the the center of town, she saw a few children playing by the side of the dirt path. Waving, Vandyn greeted them cheerfully. Oddly, the normally playful kids just stared back at her with worried expressions. As Vandyn he reached the town square, she noticed the unmistakable red of the Prodencia flag. The soldiers were back. As she stood there trying to regain control of her emotions, a silver plated guard with a crimson ensign emblazoned on his chest plate walked over to her..
“We’ve been looking for you, pack up your things. Your presence is requested in Prodencia for the trial of your father”
“And what exactly is he on trial for?” asked Vandyn in a measured tone.
“Inciting rebellion”
That was preposterous! They were just making something up to put him in jail for, but now was not the time to argue. Arguing would get her nowhere, and anyways, Vandyn had been thinking of a plan to free her father for a while, a free trip to Prodencia would be helpful.
“Very well, where will I be staying?” replied Vandyn, her face stern and unreadable.
“The noble house of Modell who are defending your father at court have agreed to provide you with lodgings till the proceedings are finished.”
Packing and goodbyes passed in a blur and before she knew it Vandyn was riding in a carriage to the capital of Prodencia. As the green meadows she had played in as a child faded out of view, Vandyn said a silent goodbye. The journey itself was quite dull. The guards were not much for conversation, and wouldn’t even discuss the details of the trial. Finally, Vandyn gave up on any attempt at conversation and watched the trees drift by. As the city came into view, Vandyn noticed just how different it was from Serena. Masses of concrete buildings crammed together as close as possible broken only by the paved streets. People flocked through the crowded streets, each one seeming to have something direly important to do. As she arrived at house Modell, she took a moment to admire the tall, colorful building standing out in the sea of grey. As she entered the door, she was greeted warmly by a short, plump woman.
“Why you must be Vandyn, I’m Candella.” the women said rapidly “I’m so sorry about the accusations against your father, but I’m sure Wilhelm will fix it all, he’s our lawyer. In the meantime we can head down to the seamstress tomorrow  to get you a proper dress to wear to the court. Come now, we were just having dinner and your welcome to join us. I’m sure your trip was long.”
The women seemed to speak as fast as thoughts came to her mind. Vandyn smiled politely, and followed the women. She was vastly different from what Vandyn had pictured the people of Prodencia to be like. At dinner Vandyn was introduced to Candella’s son, Wilfred. After dinner, Vandyn got ready to put her plan into action. First, however, she would need to find where the jail was.
“Candella? Do you think it would be possible for me to visit my father, I’ve been wanting to see him.” Vandyn asked
“Oh, yes of course. Wilfred can show you the way to the prison.”
As Vandyn and Wilfred wove through the narrow streets, Vandyn took careful watch to remember the way. She would need to be able to find her way back here on her own.
“So what it like in Serena?” Wilfred asked suddenly
“Huh,” responded Vandyn, caught a bit off guard by the question, “Oh it’s wonderful! There’s rich forest for as long as you can see and it’s all teeming with all sorts of animals.”
“I always wanted to go there, but mother insists I focus on my studies. She wants me to be a lawyer like Wilhelm”
That was not what Vandyn had expected from Wilfred. She had always thought the people of Prodencia to be aloof, looking down on Serena. As they neared the colorless stone structure of the prison, Wilfred approached the guard outside.
“We’re here to see Shagra, this is his daughter”
“I’m under strict orders to allow no visitors. Shagra will not be allowed to see anyone before the trial” the guard responded
“But that’s absurd! His own daughter hasn’t seen him for weeks, the has nothing to do with your courtly politics”
“There will be no arguing, now leave if you have no other business”
Turning back to Vandyn, Wilfred apologized, “I’m sorry Vandyn, don’t worry though, you’ll see him soon enough”
But Vandyn had expected no less than what had happened, Prodencia had torn her father away from her, they weren’t about to give him back. But now that she knew where the jail was, her plan could go into action. If Prodencia wouldn’t give her her father back, she would take him back.
Back in her room, the sun had settled below the horizon, draping the entire city in it’s black mist. Vandyn draped her green cloak over her shoulders and strung her bow. She had waited in her room long enough for the last oil lamp to go out in the house below, signaling that all of house Modell was asleep. Quickly, Vandyn pushed open the window to her room, letting in the chilling breeze of night. She pulled out her sack of belongings and took out a rope. As she draped it out over the windowsill, she looked down at the ground so far below. Reminding herself why she was doing this, she grabbed hold and threw herself over the edge, holding fast as her feet caught the wall before starting to descend. The howling winds relentlessly assaulted her, unleashing a brutal onslaught. She let out a soft sigh of relief as her feet touched the safety of solid ground. Then, the night enveloped her as she sprinted down the street, her woven cloak fluttering in the breeze
As she neared the jail, all was silent in the night. Not a bug buzzed nor bird flew over the city of concrete. The only light was a small torch held in the hand of the lone guard outside the jail. As Vandyn unslung her bow from her back, she nocked an arrow and took aim. She closed her eye and breathed deeply, forcing herself on concentrating, if she missed, the guard would sound the alarm and then entire city would be out for her. She fixed an image of her father firmly in her mind, breathed out and released. A soft twang sounded along with a startled cry cut short as the man fell over, arrow in his throat. As Vandyn rushed over to his limp body, she caught sight of the ring of keys dangling from his belt. As she took the keys and entered the jail, she heard the dreaded sound of an alarm. She whirled around to see another guard nestled on a building nearby, hidden and keeping watch for this very purpose. With renewed haste, Vandyn burst into the jail.
“Father!”
“Could it be, Vandyn?” came a voice from a nearby cell.
Vandyn hurried over and unlocked the cell, a feeble man crouched in one corner. As the gate to the cell opened, they embraced for the first time in a month.
“How did you get here?” Asked her father.
“That doesn’t matter, I’ll tell you later but right now we have the entire city looking for us, we need to get out quick”
As the two of them rushed out of the jail, they could already hear the sounds of guards all over the city responding to the alarm. As the ran down the street, Vandyn stopped, face to face with Wilfred.
“Wilfred, I’m sorry I leave like this, but if you have any sense you’ll move out of my way. I don’t want to needlessly hurt you”
“Vandyn, I know why you need to do this, I’m here to help you”
“I know you’re just going to turn me over to the guards. Put me and my father back in jail. We’re going” replied Vandyn in a harsh tone.
“Vandyn, you won’t make it out on your own. They’ve already locked down all the gates, I know a secret way out though. Please, Vandyn, I know that you’re just doing this out of love for your father, I understand. What do you think I would do to have my father back? Trust me” Wilfred pleaded.
Vandyn was speechless, she had never thought to ask what had happened to his father. He had just been another person in Prodencia. He seemed sincere now though, like he was opening up.
“Alright, lead the way” Vandyn said
As the trio of them wove their way through the stone streets, a silent understanding seemed to pass between them. Finally, Wilfred motioned them into a small house. The inside of the house was dark and unfurnished, only a dusty carpet lay on the ground, and an unlit lamp on the wall. Wilfred threw back the carpet revealing a trapdoor.
“Are you sure you trust him, Vandyn.” whispered Shagra, “We have no idea what’s down there.”
“Dad, some people in Prodencia want to see you free, not just the Serena. We can trust Wilfred.”
With that, they descended into the dark tunnel. The faint light from Wilfred’s lamp their only guidance. They walked in the concrete structure for what seemed like hours, but must have only been minutes. Vandyn released a sigh of relief.
“This should come out not 100 meters from the main road. Vandyn, stay safe” said Wilfred as Vandyn began to ascend the ladder.
“Thank you Wilfred. Thank you for helping me rescue my father”
And with that, Shagra and Vandyn climbed out of the tunnel and into the open air. A cool breeze blew across the night, bringing the scent of tree sap and blooming flowers.

Just a bit of fiction I wrote. Originally it was going to be longer, but I decided to turn it into a short story