One Last Night | Teen Ink

One Last Night

March 2, 2018
By Cosmic_Doggo26 BRONZE, Chesapeake, Virginia
Cosmic_Doggo26 BRONZE, Chesapeake, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The lake was calm tonight, as it always was. That sort of relaxing calm that made you mind wander and disconnected you from the troubles of the world. A violet void reflected along its smoothed, uncrippled surface. Luna and Selene hung happily overhead; with Luna paling in comparison to her proximal twin. It was after all Selene’s time of year, so the twilight shroud that painted the sky purple only justified the celestial bodies’ girth. 

“How ironic,” I thought to myself. “I was, after all, born under the months of twilight sky; it seems fitting that life as I know it would be brought halt under those very same stars.” I smiled, life truly was a poetic one; and boy did she have a sense a humor.
I curled myself up gently, tucking in my wings, and bringing my tail to my front. My head rested atop the lush, green grass of the cliffside, and I took a deep breath of the crisp, night air. I doubted I should ever see this place again, so I intended to make the most of my final night. The sound of nature enveloped me, and I felt myself slip into symphonic pulse of lands energy. All was as it should be, and this overwhelming peace brought ease to my heart and soul.
It didn’t last; however, the soothing melody of nature’s energy was disrupted by an innocent yet heavy-hearted soul.  A familiar sent broke through the ever-present musk of marsh and bracken. I recognized it’s sweet, refreshing aroma instantly, and my heart leaped in joy and sadness.
“Come on out Glacia, I know your there.” My voiced echoed across the open water. After a brief moment, there was a rustling from the bushes, and an embarrassed looking dragon appeared. She strode majestically towards me, her emerald green eyes meeting my gaze. A chilling frost emanated from her beautiful sky-blue scales; her Icey horn’s and wing’s glistening in Selene’s twilight. I was truly speechless; she was always stunning, but something about her tonight was truly captivating. In that very moment, if only for a second, I forgot about everything. She continued her pace towards me,
“Glacia, you can’t change things.” I say solemnly, as I realize the truth of my predicament, and more importantly how she feels. “If I don’t leave peacefully, Solic will force me to leave. He’ll make a public display of me and use me as an example. At least if I leave now, I’ll know that others will be safe, and he’ll never have the satisfaction of beating me in a fight. My mind has been made up…please don’t make this any harder for me than it alre-,”
“Shut up,” she said sorrowfully. “Just shut up already.” Before I knew it, she had nestled herself under my wing and laid her head next to mine. Tears had swelled in her eyes, and as they fell from her face they froze to ice, shattering as they hit the ground. Compared to the small dragon pressed against my body I was massive, but with her presence came an overwhelming amount of comfort, and joy. So, there we lay; under the two-celestial sister, gazing aimlessly up at the starry sky above. One would never think, that an ice dragon to bring with her so much warmth.