A committed curse | Teen Ink

A committed curse

By MissRandy SILVER, Fairbanks, Alaska
MissRandy SILVER, Fairbanks, Alaska

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -Marilyn Monroe

My commitment was complete.

The palm of my hand itched from the memory of a knife. I have seen a commitment being performed many times before but this time I was the one who committed.

My body felt new, my head clear, and my soul reborn. I am no longer a human with a touch of magic, because now I am a committed Mage.

I was out of bed and out the door immediately. I ran as fast as I can across my families prided green lands. I fly up stone steps, through many doors, and eventually I find myself on the roof.

I’ve grown up on this estate. I've spent hours everyday on this roof, but today it’s different. Today I come here, not to learn of my possible abilities from old beaten textbooks, but to perform the abilities I've dreamt of.
The breeze is warm, the sky is clear, summer's still here.

“I’ve spent all my time here to learn..” I whisper to myself

“..Now I just need practice..” My mouth molds into an idiotic smile, and a tear slips from my eye.

I breathe slowly, searching myself for my ability. Standing still I search through the new depths of my soul. I feel it rise at my notice. My body wants to move with new energy, I remain still, this energy is not meant for my body to perform. I open my eyes. The world is vivid in colour. I hear a slight thump several feet behind me. I turn slowly.

My mother stands there with sweat on her brow. I look down at the pot she set down. It’s as big as my head, an odd tan colour, and filled with dirt. I already know that inside is a seed from an apple.

“It will take days to weeks but you will make a tree filled with apples stand here.” Said my mother, Greer.
I nod as I take the steps needed to stand before the little pot. I kneel, as does Greer, she takes my hand and we grope the cool dirt. I feel her pulse her magic to make a little green bud appear. I focus on everything I feel from her. Every nerve tingles. I breathe as I take from my new power. I glare at the small green bud. It rises slowly.

When it becomes a small twig I realise how hard It is to breathe. I rise quickly as I let go of my power. The twig is still. Greer looks at me with a glint of wonder in her eyes.

“That wasn’t very hard for you.” she acknowledges quietly.

I could only nod along.

“I’ll be back when you catch your breathe.” she states, and leaves quickly.

No doubt that she’s off to tell my brother. I sigh and lay down immediately. Something aches with desire, with power, it hurts to hold it inside.

I sit up frustrated. I’m exhausted from using my power, but its hurts from not using it.
I’ve spent years flipping through old journals, the journals of my Great great grandma. I’ve read many entries from many new converts on how it felt when they first used their power, and they were all quite similar. They had a hard time summoning the needed concentration, but afterwards they felt calm like they had meditated. I feel exhausted.

I glare at the twig. The top of the twig is now two feet above the dirt. I did better than any other newly committed I have ever heard of, read of, or met. The knowledge that I started off better than suspected awakens a lust. I lust for my new magic, I need to use it.

I quickly get up from the floor beneath me. I feel light headed. I drop onto my knees. My head suddenly thrums with a terrible pain. I feel my soul ache with power I cannot control. My power is seeping. Something shatters, maybe it’s me I heard shatter.

After what seems to be an eternity, I open my eyes. Thick roots surround me and they seem to be everywhere. After a few minutes I stop staring at the roots like an idiot, because it starts to make sense. I look up to find a full grown tree. Naturally it would take 40 years for a apple tree to grow this big… Apples. Apples are scattered among the branches, they shine a precious Dark red.

I grew a tree today. I woke up as a newly committed today.

Greer is now beside me. Her mouth is a thin firm line.

“Rose.. this can’t be known to anyone else.” Says my mother.

“Why? I-i have immense power, Mother, aren’t you happy for me? For us?” My voice is cracked with emotion.
She grabbed me by my shoulders.

“I was happy to know you have awakened, to know you ran here, and that you grew that tree with such effort, a couple feet more than anyone would expect from you.” She grimaces as she says this

“You grew a tree a hour after you woke from your commitment ritual. You have power.” She sounds frantic.
“Rose I am afraid for you. You have a power, a power that will cost you if you aren't careful.” Greer whispers fiercely.

Tears fall from my eyes. A few moments ago I was gifted a strong power, but now I know that I am cursed with a life of misery.

“So that's what my brother foretold a few months ago?” I whisper.

“Yes.” States my mother.

“So you guys are prepared?” I ask, with a burning hope.

She stares into my eyes. My heart breaks.

“Your father.. we can’t hide this.” Greer says, gesturing to the tree.

Tears run down my face now.

“We can! I- look what I can do, mom, please..” I beg.

She draws me into a tight hug.

“We can take away some of your power..” my mother whispers into my ear.

I knew then, that I am a vessel to even my own mother. I go still as I focus on another place.

“When will he arrive?” I whisper. My breathing quickens, she mistakes it for fear.

“He will arrive tomorrow, and we will have a picnic as soon as he is here.” States my mother, she pulls away.
“I will get your brother so we can siphon away your.. Power.” She's says.

I nod, but she already has her back to me.

I don't dare talk again until I'm far. My pack is heavy, but nothing can ever compare to my heart. I look back one last time. The bare green lands run for a few miles around our house placed perfectly in the middle. I won’t miss running up the four flights of stairs to reach my room. I try to think positive thoughts. My vision is lost to tears anyways. The house had always been a dark brown colour. With light coloured stones fitted together seamlessly to reach the front door.

I turn my back to that door, and my last tear for this place falls.

I am absolutely in love with magic! Though the only magic I could do is create worlds of magic, which I need some dire practice in. Positivity changes everything.