A disturbing memory | Teen Ink

A disturbing memory

December 4, 2015
By ChristelN BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
ChristelN BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.
The year 1984 has come and gone. 1984 is a great modern classic novel of a dystopian society which has the same genre as Fahrenheit 451. 1984 was a haunting novel that creates an imaginary world in your head that convinces you everything that they do is to protect their world and also “Big Brother”. From the first sentence to the last sentence no one can deny the novel holds a great imagination and achievement about life under a brutal one-party dictatorship.  
Reading this book as a young teenager, what kept me reading was the fate of the protagonist, Winston Smith. At the beginning of the book he was selfish and he didn’t care about anyone but himself, but then towards the middle of the book he changed. He wanted to be free from being a “slave”. His love for Julia is what made him realize how good of a person he was and how “Big Brother” was brainwashing him. Their doomed attempt to taste freedom and no matter where they would go, “Big Brother will always be watching”.
In 1938, author George Orwell was diagnosed with tuberculosis. He spent several months in Preston Hall Sanatorium trying to recover; while he was recovering, Orwell wrote numerous of essays and reviews and earned a reputation for producing well-crafted criticism. Orwell was then offered a job as a journalist in 1943, then resigned to pursue his lifelong dream of being an author. This then lead Orwell to write two of his famous novels 1984 and Animal planet.
I would recommend this book to people who enjoy politics because they discuss various topics about how if we don’t change the way we are as a community then we would be lead to a one- party dictatorship.