The Disobedient | Teen Ink

The Disobedient

By Iamicon GOLD, Clyde, North Carolina
Iamicon GOLD, Clyde, North Carolina

I have loved you with an everlasting love, I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.
Jeremiah 31 : 3

An author is someone who has taught their mind to disobey.
Oscar Wilde
Beware: I am fearless, and therefore powerful.
Frankenstein,Mary Shelley

My head hurts. Quite frankly, that's a really stupid thought. All of me hurts and I'm scared to death of my situation. You would be scared too if you were dangling a few miles above earth, especially if you are as petrified of heights as I am.
I adjust my hands on the skyscraper's window ledge and scream for help again. I know there are people in that building, but they won't hear me. They literally can't hear me. They are the Obedient; the ones who are useless machines of society. They can't possibly help me, but that still doesn't stop me from screaming at them until my throat is hoarse.
Somebody has to eventually hear me before I slip and pancake on the ground. That thought makes me look down at my feet and panic. I can't even see the ground, all I see is steel from the building and haze surrounding me. My hands are sweating, my grip is failing. If I let go now I will undoubtedly fall, have a heart attack, and become a splatter on the pavement . I am known for desperate escapes and unexplainable miricles, but as it is, I'm not going to make it.
"Come on, somebody help me! Are you just going to let me fall?" Eventually one of the Obedient have to break, I should know about the Obedient seeing that I was one. One of them has to be like me, strong enough to escape the messages that keep them hostage. Somebody has to eventually break!

My left hand slips completely off the ledge and dangles uselessly by my side. My hoarse throat gives off a dry scream of terror as my right hand begins to slip down to my fingertips. "HELP ME, I'M GOING TO DIE!" My right hand slips all the way and I begin to free fall, but not before a hand catches mine.
Reid smiles and slowly pulls me back into the wondow. The Obedient just stare at us through unseeing eyes as we struggle back inside. "Morning you weigh like a ton. Dude, how did you even manage to get yourself in these situations?" I don't even bother to answer his question; I just sit on the stable floor and cling to him as though he is my life support.
"My gosh Reid, I have never been so happy to see you in my life. I thought I was going to die and all of the Disobedient would watch me splatter on the ground." I take a deep breath to steady my breathing. "I am so petrified of heights, why did I even agree to complete this mission?"
Reid helps me to my feet as the Obedient still watch me through dead eyes. "Well, you're the best of the best at turning Obedient's bad. Anyways, you should have just gotten over your fear of heights."
I nervously laugh, laughing is always what I do when I'm nervous. "Yeah, heights are not my thing. You can take the next mission that has to deal with heights."
"I had to abandon my mission to save you from falling off a freaking skyscraper. I mean I'd do it again, but be careful. I can't almost loose you again." He wraps his arms around me and sighs deeply. "I don't even want to think about what I would do if I loose you. After all, you were the one who taught me to think."
I forget that I was the one who turned one Obedient boy into a Disobedient. That boy followed me around now and knows me better than myself. Now that boy is the second best at saving Obedient's (second only to me).
Reid shrugs, "we should probably go, you know before the Obedient leaders find us and kill us." Screaming interrupts our peace. The pounding of footsteps echos around us. The Obedient turn their heads once and stare at the sound. Reid makes his eyes wide. "Hurry up and give your message quick or we're dead."
I clear my throat and stare at the eyes that hold no emotion. “ I know you people can't hear me, but just try to listen and hear me. You are all fake, come with us and we can make you real."
"How are you the best? That speech really sucks."
A small girl steps forward; her blue eyes look up at me in fear as she falls forward before me. "What is going on? Who are you? Where am I? Who am I?"
I raise my eyebrows at Reid shocked face. "It just works, people just listen to me more." I take a step towards the young girl and try not to frighten her. "It's all going to be okay; when we get out of here I'll explain everything. We have to leave now though." I turn towards the rest of them. "Is there anyone else?"
Two more step forward and look at us with fear and confusion. Reid motions for us to start running, I grab the arms of the two very confused boys and motion for the girl to come with us. She hesitates but decides to come with us.
The sound of heavy footsteps is deafening, the sound of men screaming the same thing is deafening. I just run blindly behind Reid down so many stairs. The voices are so close to us, so incredibly close. If they catch us we will all either die or even worse, become Obedient's again. I can't go back to being one of them, not when I know what thinking is and how amazing individualism is. I can't go back to being controlled by the system.
A bullet whizzes by my head; I duck and bring the boys down with me. I don't have to worry about the system catching me, I have to worry about getting shot in the head because Obedient's never miss. Gunfire continues to sound behind us, but it's all exaggerated to make us run. I am sad to say that it's working well.
Soon we are running outside the building, in the area that I would've fallen to my death at. Reid kicks open a manhole and dives inside. With a little convincing, the new Obedient's fall into the hole without protest. I jump into the dark abyss and put the manhole cover back over my head. By now, I'm used to the darkness inside of Disobedient headquarters. I hear footsteps echo in front of me and follow them until I reach a doorway. I slide my hands around the door, until it clicks open.
The new recruits are scared of me, I can see it in their eyes. I was scared too whenever I was first introduced to the Disobedient. There are even more recruits in the back of the room and more experienced Disobedient's beside them. They expect me to make a speach.
I pace in front of them and stare at their faces. "First forget everything that anyone has taught you. Welcome to the Disobedient."

This is just a piece I wrote. Hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think, if all turns out well i will extend the piece