Empires of Excretion | Teen Ink

Empires of Excretion

By ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

"They only let you be this happy when they're preparing to take something from you." -Khaled Hosseini, the Kite Runner.

"We're going to die," he said, his voice hoarse, exhausted.

The Little Cockroach stood by, watching the young man from a safe distance. The sewer was dark, rancid odors ringing through the atmosphere, but the cockroach never seemed to notice. He rather liked it. "We're all going to die."

And it was true. The last man on Earth dreamed his final dream, covered in the faeces and pollution his species buried under their towering architectural monstrosities. It was like watching a deity take its final breath, both a Creator and a Destroyer to all of cockroach kind, sleeping his way into eternity.  

And the Little Cockroach, counting the man's last words, his last memories, knew that an era was about to end--and his own begin.

His friends, the Maggots, came by, feasting on the mans' body. He'd greeted them briefly, rolling over the cadavers' eyes. "How are you all, then?" he asked, happily.

"Oh, we're quite fine." They said, their vacant mouths breathing death. "All the animals and humans are dead now, since the strange light appeared. We're the only things left, it seems; us and several months worth of meals."

"Ah," the Little Cockroach said. He shook his feelers. "I feel uncomfortable, standing on a human." 

"Why?" the Maggot asked.

The Little Cockroach stared down at the corpse. "These people have created such a world for us," he said, quietly. "Such a strange, wonderful world of waste and pollution. A corruption to its greatest extent."

The Maggot stared at him, silently, wisely. If it had shoulders, it would've shrugged. "We shall make a world of our own, on the bones of God," it said, crawling to the man's shoulder. "We shall defecate on our forefathers, as they have done to theirs. From the ash, we shall rise. And like most things, we shall fall in our own fashion."

The Little Cockroach, deep with thought, recalled the man's last words. We're all going to die, he said. We're all going to die.

And he believed that it'd be fine. 

Wrote this in training for an English competition. You had to pick between the topics of Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining, Never Judge a Book and One Good Turn Deserves Another. Its up to interpretation or when I feel more talkative to guess which is which. 

ellwist SILVER said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 1:08 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

Yeah, broken records did come to mind. Thank you for reading through it!

MVReverie GOLD said...
MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas

I can't drown my demons; they know how to swim.

I like this. I like the whole thing with "we're all going to die." It shows the mans broken mind. It was almost like a broken recor. The only thing I would like to say though, is that I think there are a few spelling mistakes. Other than that, this piece is quite good.

ellwist SILVER said...
on Nov. 6 2015 at 9:30 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

Oh, thank you. I plan to leave it a mystery, yes.

NymeriaWaters PLATINUM, Holland, Michigan

"We are all Worms, but I do believe I'm a glow worm"- Winston Churchill

I really like the repetition of We're all going to die. I really like most of it to be honest. My only criticism is that if you want to explain what happened to the world, I would either make it more natural or just leave mystery.

Temperance SILVER, Austin, Texas

"The facts of this world seen clearly, are those seen through tears." -Margaret Atwood

Interesting point of view, definitely something different. I really enjoyed your diction, it was natural and beautiful with some hints of melancholy truth. Keep writing!

ellwist SILVER said...
on Oct. 18 2015 at 9:34 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

It was for a competition, and they only gave us a handful of words to write it in. Though I suppose I was going for the minimalist approach, where the less speaks the more. (also, I think faeces is British. I change between them sometimes, but I think in this one it was pretty clear.) I'll be reading the Boy in the Fire soon.

on Oct. 14 2015 at 11:00 am
TaylorCortre BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Interesting. I like the idea, very thought provoking. There were some technical errors though. For example a smell does not ring and "faeces" is spelt feces. I think it is a great concept though. I would almost like to see it extended into something more.

ellwist SILVER said...
on Sep. 26 2015 at 11:29 am
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

Thank you. Do you think there's something I could improve on?

on Sep. 26 2015 at 11:06 am
SarahSylvan GOLD, Needham, Massachusetts

"Never Give Up"

I think your imagery is amazing. At the beginning I thought starting off with that quote was almost childish since it was so simple but as I continued to read it contrasted very nicely with your in depth descriptions.