A City of Darkness | Teen Ink

A City of Darkness

By secretperson GOLD, Rancho Cucamonga, California
secretperson GOLD, Rancho Cucamonga, California

Can anyone help me please, I'm living in a world filled with darkness. My grandpa says it wasn't always this way. He speaks of this thing called light. I really don’t hear much about light because you have to be careful what you say in Darksville because there's always someone watching you. You’re never truly safe here there are countless accounts of people disappearing overnight. Whether they ran away, kidnapped, or worse killed. No one is really quite sure. Here there is no religion or hope; there is just the law. Luckily, in the eyes of the law were all equal. I just wish I could see. Sure we can touch, taste, hear and smell. But where is the supposed color and dimension. With no light we’ll just be left in the darkness to be forgotten. We are lost souls without any true direction just searching for one voice to guide us. Mother warns me of my radical thoughts of treason but at least she tries to understand. She always says it’s just a phase. But, I know this is much more than a phase. By body fills with excitement every time my grandpa speaks of the old times. I know he is not crazy. His feelings and descriptions just feel so real and genuine. He has inspired me to investigate. Supposedly there is some grand city beyond Darksville filled with light. Those words were the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. I know I might sound crazy but I actually believe it exists. Even crazier I'm leaving on this journey tonight. I can’t stand to wait another day more. I don't really feel scared at all because I know that it's for the best. How can I live in a place where the government can keep something so beautiful and true from us like light. Grandpa has no reason to lie. I’m leaving empty handed it's safest that way. I didn't even tell my family. I guess they will figure it out, eventually. I walk out of my dwelling tiptoeing. There is nothing really in the way just open space. No one has ever left the dwelling and returned. But I guess some risks are worth taking. Like a machine, I walk for what seems to be an eternity. I'm not tired; it doesn’t even seem to be a possibility. Alert! Alert! Missing person! That is the first time I heard a blaring alarm. The piercing sound could make a person go death. I ran faster and faster. They were getting closer the officer yelled don’t let him get away! I'm heavily panting, I feel like I'm going to die. You'll never catch me! There he is! How did they find me? And they wonder why I’m running away; maybe it’s this never-ending surveillance. I fall, no! I got to keep going, almost there! I'm getting close. I've never tripped before in my life why today. The road gets a bit bumpy. I'm tackled onto the floor. Stop; get your hands off me! The officer said, “I can't do that sir.” Why! I asked. The officers were confused and asked what I was doing. I couldn’t lie at that point so I said that I wanted to see the city of light. Than they went on this long rant telling me how unsafe it was and that I was going to regret this. At that point I was done I said, “How is what I’m doing unsafe, I’m currently living in a world where I can't see what it is right in front of me. It's a big world you can't just keep us trapped here forever! I am living in a world of fear. This is not living!” The officers realized there was no way to convince me to say. So they said, “You want to go fine but don't say I didn't warn you!” I go to the door and reach for the handle. The door creaks. I turn the handle and walk through the door one slow step at a time. It's marvelous I'm blinded. Eventually, my eyes accustom to the brightness of the light. I see this big bright ball in the sky I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so beautiful in my life. The light world exceeded all my expectations. I see these walking beings in the distance. They talk like me. They have this weird thing coming out of their eyes. They’re walking this way, probably to say hello. They come closer and closer. Why are they pointing at me? Hello! Why are you guys screaming? Okay now I'm getting kind of scared. They’re calling me a monster. Me? The mob responds yes you! They tell me to get lost and to never comeback. I say that I just got here. They hate me. They tell me my kind isn’t welcome here. I ask, “What did I do to deserve this, I'm just like you.” They tell me to look at my hands. I do and I say, “So what”. I compare their hands with mine. For some strange reason theirs are pink and plump. This can't be happening. I'm a metal drone. I really don’t belong here. The humans tell me they locked the drones down in the dark for our safety. They blame me for destroying their kingdom. I look around I see dirt and dust. I’m sorry, humans. They say it’s to late to apologize. I become defenseless. The humans take me away. They grab me and take me away to a region unknown. They say that they’re going to teach me a lesson. The officers were right; I was stupid to come up here. I am locked in a cage. I hear a countdown. They ask me for any last words. I don't regret coming up here. The risk was worth it. In the end my short visit to the land of the light brought me more happiness than Darksville ever could. Humans count three, two, one. I'm burning; this liquid is burning me I'm on fire I'm melting. One last heed of advice humans don't look away from the light.
The End