Love U Like a Dream-Chapter Three | Teen Ink

Love U Like a Dream-Chapter Three

April 6, 2015
By LittleTownAuthor533 SILVER, Middletown, Indiana
LittleTownAuthor533 SILVER, Middletown, Indiana
9 articles 48 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"At any given moment, you have the power to say 'This is NOT how the story is going to end.'"

-from a picture my mom sent me in an email (AKA Unknown)


Chapter Three
I never thought it would happen to me. Me of all people. I never even imagined that I would become a foster child. But here I am, sitting in this fold-out lawn chair, waiting for my possible foster parents to take me home. Possibly. It’s not impossible, it’s just improbable.
I know that when you’re a foster child, you should want to get a family to call your own. And a part of me really does. But alas, another part of me is screaming, No! Don’t go home with them! They could be serial killers and you wouldn’t know how to tell! Besides, they’d never be as good as your dad.
Shut up, I whisper to myself mentally.
It’s true, though. No matter how many times he got mad at me, or I got mad at him, I still miss him like h***. Not a single day goes by that I don’t think about him. Sometimes I even pray to him, talk to him before I go to sleep at night.
I guess you really don’t know what you have until it’s gone, after all.
“Hi, sweetie,” a sugar coating blond chick kneels down in front of me. She touches my knee lightly. I have an urge to retaliate, but I pass the opportunity aside.
“Wanna go home with us?” The man, apparently her husband, asks as he gazes down upon me. His question strikes me the wrong way. Maybe....they are serial killers?
They expect an answer from me, and I figure, Eh, why the heck not? So I nod my head, my brown bangs bobbing up and down at the motion.
The blonde woman extends her hand out to me. I’m usually not one for holding hands, but in this case, I don’t particularly mind. So I take her hand and stand up. They lead me out of the foster home and to their car, which ironically is a Volkswagon Beetle. I love Volkswagon Beetles.
We drive along the highway for what seems like a long while until my eyes start to feel tired. They flutter open and closed again and again.
No, I tell myself, I can’t fall asleep. Something could happen and I would miss it.
Although, before I can help it, I nod off to sleep.
In my dream, I see a pine tree burst up in flames. I helplessly watch it burn until it is nothing but ash and cinder. Suddenly, I am swept away from the scene and brought to a peaceful-looking lake. It is quiet except for the crickets that chirp in the grass at my feet. I wish I could tell them to hush, but I seem to have no control of my mouth. Or any of my body, for that matter. Do I even have a body?
A rumble interrupts my thoughts. I ask myself in my head, Where did it come from?
As a response, the rumbling rumbles again. This time, I notice that it comes strongest from the lake. The middle of it. The very bottom of the middle.
Before I have time to wonder what it is that makes the rumbling, the obvious answer shoves itself onto me.
A humungous sea monster explodes from the surface of the lake and casts itself at me. I attempt to scream, but still am unable to.
Time seems to slow down as it begins to fall through the air. It’s going to fall on top of me!
Then everything goes dark.

“Wake up, sweetie!” My new mother shakes my shoulder gently.
I open my eyes and she’s unbuckling my seat belt for me. I hop out of the car seat and she leads me to a big farmhouse. It is wooden with a lot of windows.
Just like my old one......
A tear threatens to descend down my cheek, but I wipe my eyes quickly, so my new mom doesn’t see.
“Here we are!” She opens the front door leading into the living room, I think.
“Ummm, Ma’am−“
“Please,” she interrupts abruptly, “call me Mom.”
“Okay,” I go on awkwardly, “Well, I was going to ask where my room is going to be.”
She points up the staircase to the left and tells me, “Up those stairs and it’s the first door on the right.”
I follow her instructions and am met with a room that looks like a bedroom but is also completely bare. That’s going to change, though. I instantly plan where everything should go.
My bed is in the corner of the room beside the window. Great, so I have the best chance of waking up in the morning to the sunlight that streams through it. And there is an oak nightstand beside my bed and it has an alarm clock and a lamp on it. The lamp has a blue ceramic base and a white diamond-shaped lamp shade.
Summer is coming soon, so I’m glad that I have myself a fan for those sweltering hot nights.
I snatch a loose leaf sheet of paper from my notebook and begin writing down some ideas for what else I need in here to brighten things up some more. I’ll need a bookcase with at least seven shelves because I love to read, or I used to before all of my favorite novels burned to dust in the house fire, and a desk to do my homework on as well as a comfy chair to go along with it….Oh! And a bean bag chair for when I’m not at my desk.
There. Once I am able to see my ideas on the sheet of paper, I feel much more at home.
“Getting comfortable?” Mom walks in and smiles at me. I nod in no obvious attempt to hide my excitement.
“Great!” She exclaims happily, her voice squeaking just a little bit, “Dinner will be ready soon, okay?”
“Okay,” I murmur back and Mom leaves my bedroom. I stroll to the window and look out. The sun shines in my eyes. Before I have a chance to shield my eyes, everything is gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, here we go again......
I’m hovering above my hospital bed watching the mysterious brown eyed boy come and visit me again.
“Angel,” he bows his head before raising it, “I’m starting to lose hope.”
My heart tears a little at his words.
“I’m starting to think....” his voice shakes now, “....that you’ll never wake up. But I have to believe you will, or.....or you really never will.”
Oh, Lucas.....
Wait, I remember his name! Lucas!
“Lucas....” My body breathes out the word. I am shocked that, by just remembering his name, I was able to make my comatosed body say it. And by the looks of it, Lucas is as equally surprised. His eyes grow wide as I concentrate and make myself say more.
“Lucas, I’m sorry that....that I’m this way right now, but I promise that I’ll.....I’ll get better soon. I’m come out of this coma and back to you.”
His face turns white as he grabs my hand. I can feel his warmth from here.
My head is hurting because it’s so much of my strength to speak to him like this, but I have to say one more thing, “I love you, Lucas. Don’t give up on me, okay?”
He nods, “Okay.”
Suddenly, the room fills with noise. The heart rate monitor begins beeping like crazy just as I feel a sharp pain in my chest, even if I’m technically not connected to it. The pain gets worse and I know what caused it: Talking to Lucas like I did.
“Help,” I whimper to Lucas through my still-in-a-coma body. He shoots up out of the chair and runs out of the room. I hear him call, “Doctor! Nurse! Come help us, please!”
Everything begins to fade away just as Lucas rushes back into the room with a doctor alongside him. They rush to my side, but that’s all I see before everything goes dark.
 


The author's comments:

this is chapter three of my current in-the-works novel. Hope you like it!

 

-MP-