Remains of a Manuscript Found Beneath the Roots of a Dying Cherry Tree | Teen Ink

Remains of a Manuscript Found Beneath the Roots of a Dying Cherry Tree

By Changeling PLATINUM, Cupertino, California
Changeling PLATINUM, Cupertino, California

“...well, like I said – wrote? - before... I have no idea why I'm writing this now. Because the thing about this whole thing is, I'm not that special of a person, I swear. I'm your average sophomore – you know, mild acne, not ugly but not really pretty, mostly B's in class, no idea what I want to do with my life, I have friends, a crush on that one guy... well. And I feel for some reason that this shouldn't have happened to me, but writing it down makes me feel better. More insane, sure, but it's not like anyone's gonna read this (but why am I writing it, then)? Anyway.
I was walking home from school like usual, only – not like usual – Annie had stayed behind for her Drama rehearsal. And I turned left (like usual) to take the shortcut behind Mikky's house. I like that shortcut, especially now in the spring. The cherry trees are so nice. But, like I said, I keep writing stuff that's beside the point. Then I stopped to get my water bottle, because I was thirsty (well, duh, I guess), and th...”
“...dn't believe my eyes at first. I didn't see it at first either. I dunno how to describe it, but I'll try.
So... the best word to describe it is dragon. Like I said. But that's not really it. Geez, I'm not good at Lit. I mean, as weird as it sounds, I thought that it was a woman at first, just kinda standing beneath the cherry tree with the petals falling around her. Not to sound lesbian or anything, but she was pretty gorgeous. And then I wondered why was she standing there? And then I looked, really looked at her, and she looked back at me – her eyes were green, really bright green, not just gray-green, and that's when I realized that she wasn't human. And I saw her eyes, but then she became even less human the longer I looked, and I got a feeling of fire and the wind gusted and I thought I could hear music – this is the weird part – that sounded like fire. And I got kinda dizzy, and I thought I could see scales, and maybe it was floating, or maybe I was just hallucinating. I swear I'm not on medication. But I don't think it was a hallucination, because...”
“...read over what I wrote. I did a bad job describing the dragon (I'll just call it that),didn't I? It was like an animal, or a shadow, or both, but more than that. But -
Geez, I don't know why I'm writing this. I don't write.
But this is the important part, anyway.
I took a step towards it, and the wind and music and fire got louder and stronger, and I felt myself evaporating (I dunno, that sounds weird) no I felt myself fading and then it was just her and me. And she – it – spoke. Or it didn't speak. But I know what words it meant. It knew my name, that's the weird part, and it knew things about me I didn't know, and it said, 'You need to kn...'”
“...at's what it said.
I don't know what to make of it, I really don't, but I know it's important.
I can feel it. What it said is why I'm writing all of a sudden, I can feel that it's important, all of a sudden it's important and I don't know anything anymore. It makes me sound totally insane, but writing it down makes it feel better.
Sometimes things happen for a reason. That's what people say, isn't it? Well, I think sometimes things happen for no reason, and they can be good things, or they can be bad things, or...”
“...so that's all for now. I swear. I don't deserve this. I don't know if I want this or not. This should have happened to someone else. To Stacy, maybe, because at least she's into fantasy, or to my little brother because he deserves more than what he's got, I've always known that he deserves more because he's a better person than me but bad things have happened to him.
So.
I don't know if this makes me any less ordinary, but... I don't know. I think I'll take up Penny on her offer now. It seems like the right thing to do, after what it said. My parents won't be happy, but then, they never really are.
That's about it. Can't write anymore. That's what has happened to me after I met the dragon.”

I asked anyone I could find whether they'd heard of any of the people mentioned. I even checked all the old high school yearbooks from the area I could get my hands on. But no one seemed to know anything - maybe the writer made it all up? Call me sentimental, but I'd like to think not. Anyway, I wish I knew what the dragon said. Pretty crappy story without it, in my opinion.