Dragon Keeper | Teen Ink

Dragon Keeper

August 1, 2014
By GoldieLocks15 SILVER, Swartz Creek, Michigan
GoldieLocks15 SILVER, Swartz Creek, Michigan
8 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm through accepting limits
'cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!"

Elphaba ~ Defying Gravity


Look at me; all you see are glistening scales of emerald, teal, and turquoise. You see the raging flames that you fear will blaze out at a moment’s notice, and the deep golden eyes reflecting years upon years of waiting by this tower as the Princess they all seek sleeps away eternity upstairs. My name is Esmerelda, Esmerelda Marxon, and I wasn’t always the fearsome beast laying waste to any who pass. No, I wasn’t always a dragon. Once I was a princess too, waiting for my prince. Gaze into my eyes young prince, and I will tell you what dusty trail led me to this fate, what changed a lovely princess into a dragon feared by knights and nobles alike.


This all began many years ago when I was eighteen. Back then I was headstrong and reckless, always looking for adventure and dreaming about the day when a neighboring prince would sweep me away to go on daring escapades by his side as his wife. It was the day of my younger sister’s sixteenth birthday, and I knew Alexandra could hardly wait for the ball that night. I was helping her get ready, brushing out her long amber hair before twisting it up into an intricate hairstyle. Normally a maid would do it, but since this was her first time being formally presented to all of our allies she wanted a more calming touch to help her prepare for the evening. I watched her giggling reflection in the mirror, and wondered again at how different we appeared. Where Lexi had bright, wide, doe eyes that looked like they belonged in the sky the day after a storm and straight chestnut brown hair, I had almond shaped emerald green eyes (which as you’ve probably guessed I was named for) and wavy blond locks that shined like the sunrise. She looked like our father, and I took after our mother. Oh well, at least we both had the same slight figures and taste for adventure. Although, I have to confess: as much as I love Lexi, she’s always been more timid than me, and was normally the first to run back out of the forest to mother. And yet, she was the sweetest little sister I could ever hope for. I was proud of her and even though I was the one leading her into the shadows, I always knew I would protect her and keep her safe.


All of a sudden her voice broke through my pensiveness. “Earth to Alda, are you there?”


“ Of course I am, where else would I be on my little sister’s birthday?” I replied with my mouth curving up into a smirk at how she still calls me “Alda” like she did when she was young and couldn’t pronounce Esmerelda.

She turned around, fixing her bright blue gaze on me as she spoke. “Well you never answered my question.”



“And what was that?”


“You’re going to be there when they present me to the other royal families, right?” I could hear the slightest quiver of nerves in her voice that she’s been trying desperately to mask.


“Of course, I’ll be right behind you with Mama. And Papa will be right beside you the whole time. Don’t worry.” As I said this I finished pinning up the last lock of her hair. “Now, take a look.” Alexandra turned back around to face the mirror in front of her. She broke into a smile and squealed, “Oh, Alda! My hair looks wonderful, all thanks to you!”


I laughed and replied, “You’ll certainly be the prettiest princess attending. Now go put on your gown and I’ll see you tonight.” She jumped up and hurried off to go finish getting ready.


The hours flew by and before I knew it Alexandra was dancing with the gentlemen who had attended the celebration in abundance. She had gone through the presentation like the regal women I knew she was going to become, not a tremor in her voice as she greeted the masses. Now it seemed she was having the time of her life, so I decided it was time to join the fun with some of the dashing young men who were asking me if they could have the next dance.


Prince Edward of the neighboring kingdom to the south was twirling me about the floor to the delicate waltz when we heard a scream rip through the jovial atmosphere. At once the knights had their swords drawn and I felt my stomach drop. I knew that voice, I’d heard it sparkle with joy and burn with rage after I’d accidentally chipped one of her china dolls when she was four. It was Alexandra screaming with a terror I didn’t know her voice could contain. Immediately I was sprinting toward the shrieking sound of my sister, fear urging me on faster, panting at my heels as though it were a hunting dog and I a fox it was moments away from capturing.


Within moments I found her, a knight I didn’t recognize had her on a steed born of the shadows underneath the mountains where the dwarves tunneled in search of gold and gemstones. Alexandra saw me and screamed “Alda, save me! Please!”


I poured on all the speed I could possibly muster, shouting for the guards to follow me, to close the gates and not let the mysterious knight leave with the princess. But I was too late. The stranger turned his horse around at the end of the path, laughter bellowing from him. But then the deep laugh melted into a high pitched, grating cackle that was worse than nails on a chalkboard. Soon the body morphed to match the laugh and I could see the face of my sister’s taker. It was no knight, but instead a lady. She was tall and slight in a deep ocean blue gown with black embroidery on the hems. A black cloak was draped around her shoulders concealing her back, and an amethyst amulet in the shape of a lily was hanging from her neck, radiating a soft purple glow. Her face was pale moonlight reflecting off a stagnant pond with hair so dark it absorbed any light that touched it. Then she looked straight at me and I could see her eyes. They were a deep violet, burning with a cold anger that could only be satiated by revenge. In that instant I recognized her, the Faerie Queen had come to steal my sister.


Before anyone could attack she flicked her wrist and we were all frozen in place, a captive audience. She called out to me in a singsong voice, “Aha, the brave Esmerelda chasing after her sister. How sweet. But don’t you remember? I warned you all when you banished me that I would steal the heart of the royal family, and dear Alexandra is the heart of you all.” Here her voice took on a more patronizing quality. “The product of your parents’ true love, growing up with your doting attention Esmerelda, it’s astonishing none of you thought to protect her. Although to your credit, she did make it terribly easy for me. So easily swayed by a pretty face and the promise of adventure, all thanks to following your lead my dear. And now no one can save her from my curse!” She laughed again, “Goodbye Your Royal Highness, I doubt we’ll meet again.”


Her accusations were barbs in my heart as I saw the fear gripping Alexandra’s face, “I will save you Lexi! Don’t give up, never give up. I will always protect you and I will find you!” I yelled, the words tearing at my throat and at my heart. Then the Queen cackled again, and melted into shadows with Alexandra, nowhere to be seen.


I heard a distant wailing ringing in my ears, but it took a few minutes for me to realize that the sound was coming from myself. As I sank down to the concrete there’s only one lonely thought echoing in my mind. I didn’t save her. I wasn’t able to protect her. My precious baby sister was taken, and no one knows where. I broke down sobbing as the guards stood around, still sluggish from the spell. Soon they were shouting, trying to organize themselves into search parties to go after the Princess. But I knew better, if the Faerie Queen has Alexandra then she wouldn’t be anywhere nearby. She would never take the chance of us finding her. No, she would be keeping her captive at the Faerie Court deep within the eastern woods. But before I can act on this thought the shock of everything hits me, suddenly the world is swimming in darkness and I fall to the ground.


When I came to, the stars were still glittering outside, but their lights were cold and aloof. Everything came flooding back, I could see it all happening. The ball, Lexi’s smile, her screams as she was taken. I got out of bed quickly and went in search of my parents, thinking that by now they must have a plan to regain their daughter. I hesitated for a moment outside the throne room as I heard a hushed conversation within.


“…Have to go after her!”


“How? The search parties have found nothing.”


“If the Faerie Queen has her they never will.” This voice belonged to the King, my father. I would know its deep, solemn timbre anywhere. “She warned us long ago that she would take the heart of the family in revenge for her banishment from Trisan and the surrounding kingdoms. It breaks my heart, but if Princess Alexandra is already in her hands, there’s no saving her.” I jerked away from the door where I had my ear pressed, utterly dumbfounded by this statement. Surely he would have to go after Lexi; for God’s sake he’s her father! He can’t just leave her to suffer; Lexi truly is the heart of us all. She’s the one with a smile and a laugh for when we need them most. If he didn’t value that enough to go after her, if he didn’t think that the fact that she was his daughter meant anything then I would save her. I promised I’d find her and I was not about to go back on my word.


I remembered hearing a story about the dragons to the north, that on occasion they would help those in dire need. It was maybe a day’s journey of hard riding to get to the edge of their lands and I thought I could make it before anyone noticed I was gone. So, I left to go pack a few things for this adventure. With a peasant’s cloak covering my gown I saddled my horse. Soon I was out of the castle grounds and galloping through the fields and forests that had once terrified Lexi. My poor sister had always tried to be fearless like me, and went looking adventure even if I told her not to. That’s why the Faerie Queen’s words stung so horribly, because they were true. I led her into the adventure that may very well end in her demise, even if I hadn’t been the one convincing her to go. I shook my head trying to rid myself of the thought, and urged my horse on faster.


Before two days had passed I was across the border into the Dragon Realms. No one had spotted me yet, but that was about to change. I pulled the gilt edged mirror out of my saddlebag and aimed it so that it reflected the sun’s rays into the sky. Soon I saw a flicker of cobalt in the sky, followed by one of royal purple. The scouts had come. I explained my situation to them, and they offered me a ride to the palace where King Vatra reigned. I accepted, and was soon gliding through the clouds. A short while later I had made it to the humongous palace of the dragons.


As I entered the Great Hall I was first amazed by the sheer size and beauty of the dragons’ capital, and then by the King himself. Vatra was a gargantuan beast, colored in scales of scarlet, gold, and blazing orange, an outward reflection of his internal flames. His serene blue eyes captured me, and I heard his gravelly voice grate through the room. “Why do you come to my kingdom little Princess?”


I mustered my courage and drew myself up to my not-so-impressive height before replying, “I have a request of you, your majesty.”


“And what might that be?” King Vatra inquired.


“Well you see, my younger sister Princess Alexandra was kidnapped two nights ago at her Birthday Ball by the Faerie Queen. I was hoping that you, as the most noble of all the realms, would be willing to help me save my sister.”


“But why do you come to me? Your father is a king; he can save his own child can he not?


“My father has turned his back on Alexandra, he doesn’t even know I came looking for help. But I made a promise that I would find her, no matter what. So I implore you wise dragon, please, help me save my sister.” My voice broke as I said those last words.


King Vatra was pensive for a moment, his face angled upward as he thought about my plea, then he returned his gaze upon me and growled, “I’m sorry young one, but I cannot save this princess. We dragons must stay away from the Faerie Queen, for even though we are strong, not even I can withstand her magic. Go. Leave my presence before your coming here alerts the Faeries, and they come to cripple us as well.”


My heart broke even further as I heard this verdict. My throat constricted with sobs that I was holding back as I curtsied and left the room. I flew back on the cobalt dragon that had carried me to the palace, tears streaming from my eyes as we traveled. We landed back in the meadow on the outskirts of the land and I gently climbed back down. “Thank you for your hospitality sir dragon.” I said having regained my composure on the flight back.


“Your welcome Princess Esmerelda.” The dragon hesitated a moment before continuing. “Forgive us for the King, he merely fears for our safety. Not all of us are unwilling to help. Please, take this amulet. It was forged by the dwarves under the mountain and enchanted by the Faeries in days of old when they were kind. It is called the Dragon Pendant, and it will transform the wearer into a dragon. It has been passed down in my family for years, but I give it to you freely, so you may save your sister.” The cobalt dragon then dropped a gorgeous amulet into my hands. It was an emerald in a beautiful setting of gold, a core of orange flame dancing within the gem.


It was all I could do to stammer out a thank you before my nameless savior took off again, soaring through the skies back on patrol. I placed the Dragon Pendant around my neck, and immediately my body morphed into a dragon, just as I was told it would. The scales rippling across my back emerald green and teal, and I could feel the inferno burning quietly in my throat. I spread my iridescent wings and took off; I couldn’t afford to waste any more time getting to my sister.


Flying took some getting used to, but after a few days I had made it to the land of the Faeries. I could sense that their Queen was somewhere nearby, and I followed this new sixth sense that my dragon abilities had given me to a tower in the middle of a petrified forest. It appeared to have been an amazing piece of architecture years ago, but had since been abandoned. The roof was missing a few tiles, ivy had crept up the walls, and the mortar was crumbling between the bricks. As I hovered in the air trying to figure out how to discover where my sister was, the Faerie Queen strolled out of the tower gates. Any plan of careful attack I may have had flew out of my mind in that one instant. A bellow of fury left my mouth, echoing across the sky swiftly followed by one of flame. The Queen looked up at my cry and melted into shadows a fraction of a second before I roasted her to a crisp, just as she had done back at the ball. She popped up again several yards from where she’d disappeared, calling out “I know it’s you Princess Esmerelda! And if you think you’re going to save your sister then you’re very, very wrong!”

Summoning an orb made of shadow the Faerie Queen opened her wings and came blazing through the air towards me. She shot the orb at me and I quickly dove to the left dodging it as I raked the air near her with flames. Our attacks swiftly became an aerial dance where any missteps were dangerous. One moment I was blasting her with fire, and the next I had to dive in order to avoid the shadow bolts she threw at me. I knew I couldn’t keep up the battle much longer, and that as long as she had that lily amulet her magic would just keep coming. I had one last ditch idea, but if it didn’t work it would be the last idea I’d have. I maneuvered the fight so that I was directly above her, and spat out one last jet of flame to distract her. I quickly undid the clasp of my own pendant, and I plummeted down to the Queen. The wind was screeching in my ears as I prayed that my sister would forgive me if my plan didn’t work. My body slammed into the Faerie Queen before she’d recovered from the fire and threw her off balance. We were both tumbling down out of the sky clawing at each other desperately. By some miracle I was able to grab the lily and remove it from her neck as she was trying to slow her own fall. As soon as I had it, I let go of the Queen, and tried desperately to replace the Dragon Pendant while I was free falling through the air. I was forty feet above the ground and I couldn’t get the clasp to work. Thirty five feet - the ground was rushing up to meet me - thirty feet, twenty five feet - my hands were shaking so badly the gemstone hit me in the face resulting in what I can only assume will be a beautiful black eye - twenty feet, I was barely fifteen feet away from my death when I finally got the necklace on.

I’ve never been more thankful than when I felt my body morph into a dragon, just in time for me to gather the air under my wings and halt my descent. The Faerie Queen plummeted down nearby, landing safely on her feet as she held her leathery bat wings close to her sides. She scowled at me and prepared to summon another weapon when she realized the amulet that harnessed her faerie magic was gone. She gasped and looked around for it hoping that it was nearby. I used her distraction to my advantage and pinned her down to the ground with my talons now that she was powerless. As I debated what I should do with her, the Faerie Queen looked up at me and spat, “Kill me and you’ll never be able to save your precious sister!” A growl built up in my throat as I realized the truth of her statement. Even if I found Lexi, I had no idea what kind of spell was cast on her, and even though I held her amulet no human could wield a faerie’s magic.

So I did the only thing I could do, I let my flames build up and said, “I’ll find a way to save her without your help. I can track her anywhere in these lands, and I will search far and wide for a faerie to help me lift this curse. You, my dear Queen, are expendable.” Putting extreme emphasis on the last syllables, and with as much sarcasm as I could I finished, ”Goodbye your Royal Highness, I doubt we’ll meet again!”

Just before I roasted her, the Queen shouted, “No! Please, don’t! Spare me, I beg you. I’ll help you, just don’t kill me!”

I smiled inwardly, knowing I had her trapped now, and demanded. “You pitiful creature. I will spare your life, but you must tell me where Alexandra is, what you did to her, and how it can be fixed.”

“Princess Alexandra lies upstairs in the tower. Upon her lies a curse that will make her sleep away eternity, unless a man of a pure heart and a kind soul bestows upon her the kiss of true love.” The Queen told me. “Then, and only then will your sister be awakened.” I couldn’t believe it, after all I went through, I still couldn’t save Alexandra. No, there had to be a mistake somewhere, she couldn’t just be cursed like that! Not when I was so close!


I roared in anger, “Can’t you wake her up!”


“My curses don’t work that way, even if I had my amulet I’d be unable to lift it. We are both powerless.” She calmly retorted.


“Then leave.” I grunted. “Leave this land rouge queen. For even though you have kept your side of the agreement, I can’t stand the sight of you. Now get out of my presence before I burn you to a crisp!” The once fearsome Faerie Queen scurried off into the petrified remains of a forest, never to be seen again. Once she was gone I removed my pendant. Back in my human form I climbed the tower, unwilling to accept that there was nothing I could do to save Alexandra.


My dress was covered in dust and I had cobwebs in my hair by the time I finally climbed the last stair and opened the door at the top of the tower. The hinges let out an ungodly screech as I pushed open the door. Peering in, I called out in a soft voice, “Lexi? It’s me Alda, I promised I’d come find you and here I am. I’m here to take you home.” When I heard no reply I entered the room. On the far side of the chamber underneath a window lay Alexandra on a silken bed. I dashed to the other end of the room as fast as I could, my heart plummeting into my stomach yet again as I desperately tried to convince myself that she would wake up as soon as I touched her.


I reached out my hand to push her chocolate hair out of her face as I knelt down beside her. Then I closed my eyes and took her shoulders in my hands, gently shaking her like I did when we were children and she didn’t want to get up for lessons, hoping desperately that she would wake up. I gradually opened my eyes after a few moments, but when I did Lexi’s were still closed. Tears fell down my cheeks faster and faster, until they were raining down my face. I had failed. I was too late for the Faerie Queen had spoken the truth; she had cursed Alexandra.


Hours passed as I sobbed my eyes out and cried my throat raw on the floor beside the bed. Finally my sorrow was spent, and I tumbled into a restless, dreamless sleep next to my sister who was trapped in an enchanted sleep. When I woke up I realized what I had to do now. I said goodnight to Alexandra, gently kissed her forehead, and after I left the Faerie Queen’s amulet on the table next to her, I walked back down the tower’s staircase. Once I was out front again I put on the Dragon Pendant once more. I was too late to stop the curse, but I couldn’t leave her behind.


So here I have stayed since that fateful day years ago when I began my watch. I promised Alexandra that I would keep her safe no matter what, that I would protect her, and I stay true to my word. While she sleeps up in the tower, I stay down here awaiting the day when a prince will finally come along who is worthy of my sister. One who is pure of heart and kind of soul. Only he can pay the Faerie’s toll. Thank you for listening to my tale young prince; perhaps you will be the one. You are certainly the kindest of all those who have come seeking to save the Princess, the only one in fact who didn’t draw their sword and attack, but instead asked for my blessing to go see her. So I give it to you freely in hopes that you may be the one to break the spell and awaken her. Tell her the amethyst lily is hers, a present from her sister and a reminder that I will always protect her.