Stolen Memories | Teen Ink

Stolen Memories

By CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa
CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa

Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone. -Andy Biersack
Sometimes you gotta fall before you can fly. -Kellin Quinn
You made me hate my own reflection. -Sleeping With Sirens

I don’t know why this is happening to me, this has been going on monthly for about two years, ever since I was bit by a wolf while walking around in the woods behind my house. I’ve marked down everyday on calendars that I have been getting these strong pains, they are always on the first full moon of the month, I don’t know what happens, I start getting really sharp pains throughout my entire body and I start convulsing and feel like I’m having a seizure I pass out and then don’t remember what had happened the night before, after the convulsing.

“Mornin’,” I say to my brother as I walk into the kitchen.

“Good morning, Katarinna,” he says looking up from his bowl of cheerios.

“What’s today?” he doesn’t answer. “James!”

“What?”

“I asked you what today was,” I sigh, it was often that I would ask him something just to not hear a response. He would space off into his own little world that nobody could get him out of unless you were to yell his name.

“Oh, it’s Sunday. Why? Do you want to go back to school or something,” he jokes. School starts back up in about a week and he was excitedly anticipating it because this year he was going to be a senior, when I’m just going to be a freshman.

“No, I was just wondering because I still need to go buy my school supplies.”

“Well then you better go now because I was just at the store yesterday and they were almost completely out of school supplies.”

“’Kay, thanks. Any news on mom?”

“Nope sorry, police haven’t found anything.”

My mom 2 weeks ago went missing and we haven’t found any clues on where she went or if she was taken who took her. So until she is found me and my brother have to tell the police everywhere we go until my brother turns eighteen and can be my legal guardian. My mom was an alcoholic so we weren’t very close to her because she was always drunk or on hangovers, she has disappeared before but only for a day or two never this long so me and James are scared that this time she left us for good or was murdered.

“Did it happen again last night?” my brother asks.

“Yeah, but they aren’t hurting as much anymore.”

“Are you gonna go to the store?”

“Yeah, but I need money for supplies and bus.”

“Here,” he says handing me a brand new one hundred dollar bill.

“Thanks,” I say, grabbing my jacket off of the hook in the entryway. “I’ll be back in an hour or two.”

At the store I see multiple people that I used to talk to but since my moms disappearance they haven’t said a word to me, I know they think I’m a freak, they don’t need to tell me that I am in order for me to know. When I pass by them they either whisper to a sibling or friend sometimes even their parents and then point at me, I can read their lips their saying ‘That’s her, that’s the girl whose mom went missing.’

I hate how people think I’m oblivious to things like this. I’m not I know more then they think. I know that sounds stalkerish, but people talk so I listen. Its not like I go behind their backs spreading rumors about them like they do to me.

“Hey!” shouts my friend, Lily, from across the store. “What ya up to?”

“Buying school supplies.”

“You still haven’t done that? I did weeks ago.”

“I am now aren’t I?” I tell her kind of getting annoyed.

“I gotta go,” she says starting to walk back towards the makeup aisle.

Later that night while I was getting ready to go to bed, I start convulsing again, this is the first time it has ever happened two nights in a row.

“James! Help!”

He rushes into my bedroom, but by the time he gets there they stop.

“It happened again,” I tell him panting like I had just run a marathon.

“I’ll bring you a glass of water, just lie down and try to sleep.”

“Thanks,” I say, then I fall into a deep sleep, I wasn’t even up long enough to see him bring me my water.

I’m in the middle of Central Avenue, for some reason everything is black, white, and gray, but I don’t know why. I’m on all fours. But why? I look down surprised to see that I have paws instead of hands. People are slowly surrounding me, I can hear police sirens in the distance slowly becoming louder. Mothers are holding their children back one kid manages to break free of his mothers grasp and slowly walking towards me saying ‘It’s okay puppy,’ but for some reason I have the sudden feeling that I need to attack him, but right before I did I was shot with something, a tranquilizer dart I see when I look at where they shot me.

When I wake up I’m in a cage not my bed.

“Help!” I shout but then I hear someone mutter ‘Amazing.’

“Who are you?” I turn around and ask seeing that it’s a middle aged lady.

“I’m Dr Stevens. Police found you as a wolf in the middle of Central Avenue, they brought you here for me and my other fellow scientists to run tests on you. To my understanding your name is Katarinna Contrarez, age 15. Am I correct?”

“Yes,” I say slowly.

“Come on in,” she shouts and then I see three other people walk in holding a syringe filled with some green liquid, and they were walking closer to me and telling me to hold still.

“Get. Away. From. Me!” I say backing up in my cage, but it was no use, I could barley get five inches away from the side of the cage so they were still able to get to me with it. About half of it spills but they get just enough in me to make me start convulsing again, and finally I know what’s happening.

When I wake up I can’t remember anything.

“How’d it go?” a middle aged women asks me.

“Who are you?” I ask getting frightened.

“Oh no,” she says and gasps. “It took your memories. We knew there was a chance of that but we didn’t think it would happen.”

My memories were stolen.

CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa

Thanks Liv!

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

That was AWESOMEEEEE!!