The Beginning | Teen Ink

The Beginning

By dpowell3543 PLATINUM, Topeka, Kansas
dpowell3543 PLATINUM, Topeka, Kansas

If you're not willing to die for the ones you love, your life isn't worth living at all.

A million light-years away, a ship flies through the empty vastness of space.In the c*** pit sits an old man. He looks like he's somewhere in his sixties. He has a white beard with graying hair and very few wrinkles. He was alone,he was tired, and he was lost. The past few years have gone well, but strange things started to happen around a week ago. Him and his crew heard strange noises, which usually lead to the disappearance of one of the crewmen. Now they were gone... everyone except him. Even his beloved wife was gone... Not being able to bear the pain, he locked himself where he now sat. He hoped to stay there for the remainder of the trip, but he got hungry. He passed it off as a notion of fear, but he soon came to realize that he'd die if he didn't abstain sustenance. So he got up and trudged toward the door. He looked at the keypad, it had been started to grow dusty due to the lack of use, he took a deep breath, then opened it. He was shocked to see that nothing was there. When he locked himself in, he was pretty sure the thing was waiting for him. Maybe it had gotten bored. He grunted then started for the cafeteria. He was just a fourth of the way down the hall when he started to hear the strange noises in the vents. He started moving faster. So had the noise. He ran. The noise followed. As the man and the noise ran, it grew louder. That's when he realized that it was coming closer, so he made an unexpected turn. He went a little ways down the hallway then turned into a room and shut the door. Unlike most of the others, it didn't have a lock. He looked around and saw what was left of the ship's arsenal. He sped walked to one of the assault rifles on the and grabbed a clip. As he was loading the gun, a banging sounded at the door... the thing was trying to get in. The old man was ready. He walked up to the door, then opened it. As he stepped back and took aim, the monster stepped in. It was huge. It's black skin, giant fangs, and razor sharp teeth brought fear to the man's soul. He opened fire. The sudden burst of pain caused the monster to back out of the room. The man was almost out of ammunition, so he followed it, and shut the door. As soon as he turned around, the monster continued trying to break the door down. The man quickly searched for more ammo. He came across an old compartment. When he opened it, the rotten corpse of his wife fell out. As he stared at her, dropped to his knees and started to cry.
"Oh Suzy". he croaked. He pulled out a recorder, and pressed record.
"This is the last voice entry of the Seafarer 19901. We have experienced some major complications and caution is advised. If you find this place, please return my darling wife to her family. This is Captain..." The recording was cut short due to the cracking sound in the door. The monster was almost through. The man stuffed the recorder in the remains of his wife. Once he'd finished, he looked over to his right. Lying there, on the ground, was a grenade. He picked it up and pulled the pin. Just then the door flew into the and he turned and charged the monster. First the man felt like he was being stabbed, then after the grenade blew, his vision faded to white. When he opened his eyes, he saw his wife standing there... and she was normal. In fact, she was beautiful. With her golden brown hair, red lips, and pale skin. It was almost like the man was dreaming.
"Suzy!?" he said.
"Come on John, it's time to go home." she replied. The man grabbed her hand, and they walked off into the blinding white light which was surrounding the area.
A few years later... There's a few strange men sitting in the ship's arsenal. After a thorough search of the place, they find the recorded message. The youngest, who was blond with pale skin and red eyes, played it. John's recorded voice sounded electronical. When the message was over,he looked to the carcass, then back to the other men.
"Honor his wishes and get her on the ship." he said, motioning towards the body.
"Aye sir." one of the men answered. They went and grabbed the body and started to carry it towards the ship. The boy got up and followed, only to stop a few steps later. He bent down and picked up a chain containing a metal slab. It read: 'Captain John Carlos, Christian, U.S. Marines'. The boy pocketed it, stood up, and walked toward the door. When he reached it, he stopped again, but this time he turned around.
"Goodbye dad." he said, then turned back around and walked toward his ship.
The End.

I put a lot of time into writing this even though it's not very long. It came to me in a dream one random night and I wrote it a few days later. So please comment what you think, and thank you for your support if you're giving it.