The Re-Embodiment of Freddy Flyeater | Teen Ink

The Re-Embodiment of Freddy Flyeater

By MnMpen SILVER, Kailua, Hawaii
MnMpen SILVER, Kailua, Hawaii

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Gargantuan trees stood swaying with heaven’s angels, and the street was still glistening with the aftermath of a storm. It was a quiet Sunday morning. The humans were all inside their homes, busy with their people problems, while countless beings around them existed without their knowing. Even now, unbeknownst to the peaceful neighborhood, a small creature timidly hopped unseen, along the vast soggy road. Freddy Flyeater looked around and noticed a questionable crumpled pile of nearby. It looked to be about as big as he was, but flatter. He hopped closer. Was it a fellow frog? Maybe a friend from the swamp? Wait a minute, he thought to himself. Those frog legs, that tongue, it all looked so familiar... “I can see myself!” he suddenly croaked aloud, “I must be having an out-of-froggy experience!” Upon closer examination, the frog could see his slippery virescent body was disfigured, and covered with dirt-ridden tire tracks. As realization dawned on the poor, slimy critter, his eyes bugged out in horror. He had croaked! The frog’s own guts were scattered everywhere across the wet, muddy road. “I’m dead!” he shrieked to no particular amphibian. “But what about my date with Lillie Paddington?”, he wailed to the universe above. He stomped with his ghost-frog feet and hopped up and down in frustration. Why had this happened? He always looked both ways before hopping the street. His mother had always reminded Freddy ever since he was a tadpole, “Freddy, monster accidents happen all the time. A young frog doesn’t look both ways before he hops, and BAM! A monster runs over him by accident. So you have to watch out for those, okay son?”. “Okay”, Freddy had croaked to her then. But now… How could he have been such a amph-idiot! What kind of frog doesn’t see a enormous monster flashing its lights and roaring down the street? He’d seen plenty of frogs end up as croaked roadkill, but Freddy never thought it would happen to him. Now he was stuck forever, as some sort of frog ghost, forced to eat ghost flies for the rest of time. Or whatever it was that ghost frogs ate. So Freddy hopped farther along the road, hoping for a miracle, but more than ever, hoping to be noticed.

Things strewn across pavement inspire me at times. A dead frog was among them. Anything can inspire someone. I hope readers enjoy this supernatural, silly, sad, mysterious story told by the ghost of Freddy the frog.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Haha I love this, the puns and originality are fantastic. Little stories like this make my day :3

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

This is sad an funny! But I love it! Thank you, for sharing this!