Scarlett Carter | Teen Ink

Scarlett Carter

By klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan
klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan

“People ask me when I start one of these projects, what is your theme? I haven’t the faintest idea. That’s why you’re writing the book, it seems to me, to find out. To me, it’s a journey. It’s an adventure. It’s traveling in a country you’ve never been in and everything is going to be new, and because of that, vivid. And don’t make up your mind too soon. Let it be an experience.” —David McCullough

I stood in the ash of the place I once called home, all around me sirens blared and the bright lights flickered, and yet I couldn’t hear a sound. All of them, my entire family, they were in that house. I remember asking myself how and saying it couldn’t be true and something was wrong. The slight breeze blew the smell of smoke at me as I clenched my teeth, they did this. I thought to myself. As the tears streamed down my face I slowly turned to the fire trucks. The five of them stood there arms folded across their chest, each with the look of pure anger on their faces, they were the only family I had left… they are my pack… and I am Scarlett Carter.

For you to understand my story I first have to tell you the history of the Carter’s. Here in this little backwoods town of Ash where everyone knows everybody is a family that has been in the area sense long before the place was inhabited, they were the Carter’s my ancestors and the reason they survived, was because of the blood that pumped through their veins was mixed with the blood of the wolf. Like wolves do they form packs, for the Carter’s it was with five other families, the Clover’s, the Kalvin’s, the Thomason’s, the Yegger’s, and the Trotwood’s. In their small village lived many humans so the Carter’s created a law that there would be no marriage within the pack. This law has been followed for thousands of years. Many have left the pack for the reason of Love. The remaining pack is still a clear descendant of the original Carter pack whose first names have become unknown over time. The next Generation of Wolves will be led by me a seventeen year old girl who goes by the name Scar. I plan to get revenge for my family.

I am hoping to turn this into a book, I could really use some feedback telling me if you like it or not.