Stupid Trees | Teen Ink

Stupid Trees

April 2, 2014
By Kathryn Stone BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
Kathryn Stone BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

“Stupid Trees”


I never imagined that the world could be so wondrous. Never imagined that colors could be this bright. As I looked around, it became clear to me that the world around me had changed. How could the trees be so green and full of life, while at the same time whispering deadly secrets? How could the velvety fawns be so oblivious to the danger around them? Why weren’t their mothers protecting them from the dark evil of the forest?

I couldn’t believe what my eyes were seeing. Evil blanketed by innocence is never a believable picture. As I stared into the woods before me, the purity of the sunlight cloaked the ominous trees in a sort of frantic dance, as if the only way to choke the sinister force inside was to smother it with perfection. I was entranced so intensely by the light that I didn’t feel myself moving closer and closer to the darkness that the sun desperately trying to cover up. By the time the sound of a branch falling snapped me back into reality, I was deep in the forest.

From a distance, the forest seemed oblivious to what was inside it, but from a closer perspective, it was very clear that almost everything within knew without a doubt to stay alert. The only exceptions were the innocents present. The fawns, who were calmly grazing on the brush softly skirting the ground. The flowers, craning their stems to reach the living light of the sun, and smiling when finally they reached it. These innocent creatures were utterly ignorant to the sinister whispers of the trees and the shrill warnings of the owls.

The more I allowed myself to stare at this scene, the more that my actions were not my own. The more that it was not me choosing to wander deeper into the unknown, but someone pulling me forward on their invisible string. And the harder I struggled to stop walking, the harder they pulled me in.

More than anything, I wanted to leave that place. Wanted to run as far away as my legs would carry me. As far as home, perhaps, if I was granted a miracle. Home was a place I never dared return to. But those wants were pushed into my subconscious when I heard, “You are going to die for it, no doubt.” The barely audible whisper shook me to my bones.

“Wh-wh-who s-s-said that?”, I managed to sputter out.

“Quiet!.....She has....heard us....we must....no more.” I spun around, looking for the sources of the voices, but there was nothing around me but trees.

“I don’t know who you are, but you better show yourself!”

“But you can already see us, Willow.” A wave of fear swept over me and I could manage no more than,

“How do you know my name?” My confusion must have been hilarious, or at least to the voices.

“Willow, Willow, Willow. What are we going to do with you?”
“I said, how do you know my name?”
“We know much more than your name, dear. Now if you would stop fighting us and keep on walking, this wouldn’t have to be so hard.”
“What wouldn’t have to be so hard? What on earth are you talking about? And what are you?” I was beginning to get angry and I wanted some answers before I even considered doing the bidding of these mysterious voices. But the voice stopped answering, as if my questions had gone too far. “Where’d you go? I just want to talk, I won’t hurt you I promise. Just come out and let me see you.”
My coaxing did no good. Who or whatever the voice was had retreated into the trees. As much as I wanted to turn around and run out away, I needed just a little more time to satisfy my curiosity. I wandered into a clearing, where a small fox was standing. I tried to approach it quietly, but my foot snagged on a branch, and I tumbled to the forest floor. The fox turned and I caught only glimpse of its eyes before it pranced off into safety. And even though it was only a glimpse, that glimpse gave me every answer that I came looking for. The fox’s eyes had something in them I had never witnessed. They contained so much fear, were so dilated, that they were almost entirely white. I could only imagine what caused such horror.
I started forward again, this time being more aware of stumps and other things that would cause me to fall. The farther I treaded into the forest, the less that light made it to where I was. Things that before were just squirrels or rabbits were now eerie shadows, leading my imagination into nightmare-like thoughts. Thoughts that featured the rabbits having foot-long fangs and piercing red eyes. My real concern should have been what awaited me if I continued wandering. I should’ve wanted to turn and run.
But turning around had strangely left my mind. My mind was now focused on the footsteps that followed mine way too carefully. I could tell that whoever was following me thought they were very clever. Slowing down when I did, almost exactly in step with me. I could also tell that this person was waiting. Perhaps waiting for the right moment to strike me down, or waiting for just the right time to reveal themself. But I was not going to give them that moment, not just yet. I began to pick up my pace, hoping that they weren’t gifted with runner’s legs as I was. But still they kept in time with my feet, hitting the pavement at the exact right time.

I kept running, trying to pace myself so that I wouldn’t tire. Eventually, the footsteps began to slow down, no longer keeping time with me. I thought that I had tired out my pursuer and that they were stopped for a while. I decided that it was time to figure out who this mysterious person was. But when I turned around, there was no one to be seen. There was nothing there but trees. I looked around, hoing to see them, when I was struck from behind. The blow instantly knocked me out. I had no clue what hit me.

Sometime later, I heard my name being called. Very softly at first and very distant. It got gradually closer and louder, to the point where I had to cover my ears to block it out. I had no clue where I was, but I knew that I wanted to get out of there. I screamed for help as loud as I could, only to be shaken by someone like I was a ragdoll. “Willow! Why won’t you wake up? Are you alive? Come on! It’s time for school!” Suddenly, I was thrust into the morning light and into my mother’s arms. I burst into tears and she pulled me close. “The forest again?”

“Yeah. I don’t know why it keeps happening. But it’s the same every time. I wander into the woods, and then someone starts following me. And before I know it, someone hits me on the head and I’m knocked out on the forest floor.”

“Well, did you see who knocked you out this time?”

“I did. And you’re never going to believe it. It was one of those dang trees! They were the ones whispering the threats and following me the whole time! I thought it would’ve been something more interesting, like a mountain lion or a hunter, but no. Just stupid trees.”