One's Reflection | Teen Ink

One's Reflection

By piperd13 BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
piperd13 BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey

"They tried to bury us but they didn't know we were seeds."

The fresh water felt refreshing as I washed my face. I looked into my reflection and saw a tired young girl, with dirt caked on her face. I was no longer the childish, giddy, blonde hair blue eyed girl I used to be. I was alone. No radio, television, civilizations. All gone wiped off the face of the Earth completely. If there was anyone left, I knew I could only trust myself.

My mother said before she ran out Trust No one. I groaned, my head ached as it usually did when I tried to remember my family. But still those words never left me, they hummed inside of me always like a hand print on my soul.

I got up grabbed my backpack, filled with what little I had and truged on through the endless forest. The clouds hung low, and grey. Ahead aomething odd and unusual stuck up out of the ground. I advanced forward and drew my old knife out. I had taught myself how to aim and use a knife it was my only defense.

When I reached the strange object, I knew what it was, a gate. I hadn't seen any type of civilization, even wreckage for a long while. I stepped past the fractured gate into the town, or what was left of it. I walked down the destroyed road covered in broken glass.The crunchy sound beneath my feet made me wince as if I was disturbing something.The graffiti covered buildings loomed eerily above. I walked the long road until I reached a small house among the large buildings. I small moss covered mailbox stood tall among the wreckage. I stepped towards it and peeled the soft moist moss back. Across the mailbox it said 42 Washington Court. I ran my fingers across the delicately painted lettering. I stumbled forward jabbing my hip into the side of the mailbox. I dropped to my knees and groaned. My head pounding no longer my hip, it felt as though someone had smacked my head repeatedly. Another jolt of pain this time I couldn't help from crying out in pain, falling back hitting the cold hard Earth. The third shock was so hard my vision blurred and a cloud of black invaded my vision. Trust No one was my last thought before I was engulfed into the darkness.