One's Reflection | Teen Ink

One's Reflection

February 27, 2014
By piperd13 BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
piperd13 BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They tried to bury us but they didn't know we were seeds."


The fresh water felt refreshing as I washed my face. I looked into my reflection and saw a tired young girl, with dirt caked on her face. I was no longer the childish, giddy, blonde hair blue eyed girl I used to be. I was alone. No radio, television, civilizations. All gone wiped off the face of the Earth completely. If there was anyone left, I knew I could only trust myself.

My mother said before she ran out Trust No one. I groaned, my head ached as it usually did when I tried to remember my family. But still those words never left me, they hummed inside of me always like a hand print on my soul.

I got up grabbed my backpack, filled with what little I had and truged on through the endless forest. The clouds hung low, and grey. Ahead aomething odd and unusual stuck up out of the ground. I advanced forward and drew my old knife out. I had taught myself how to aim and use a knife it was my only defense.

When I reached the strange object, I knew what it was, a gate. I hadn't seen any type of civilization, even wreckage for a long while. I stepped past the fractured gate into the town, or what was left of it. I walked down the destroyed road covered in broken glass.The crunchy sound beneath my feet made me wince as if I was disturbing something.The graffiti covered buildings loomed eerily above. I walked the long road until I reached a small house among the large buildings. I small moss covered mailbox stood tall among the wreckage. I stepped towards it and peeled the soft moist moss back. Across the mailbox it said 42 Washington Court. I ran my fingers across the delicately painted lettering. I stumbled forward jabbing my hip into the side of the mailbox. I dropped to my knees and groaned. My head pounding no longer my hip, it felt as though someone had smacked my head repeatedly. Another jolt of pain this time I couldn't help from crying out in pain, falling back hitting the cold hard Earth. The third shock was so hard my vision blurred and a cloud of black invaded my vision. Trust No one was my last thought before I was engulfed into the darkness.