Undone (Working Title) | Teen Ink

Undone (Working Title)

January 7, 2014
By Zoe Davis GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Zoe Davis GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
11 articles 13 photos 4 comments

The sturdy military man cleared his throat as he began to read the declaration. Several television cameras and microphones were stuck in his expressionless face as he tried not to pay any attention to them. Dozens of slaves on the Warren property stood back from the crowd, but forming a crowd of their own listened to the words of the young soldier.
"Let it be known, that on this day, the 20th of October in the year 2045, that all people's known as slaves are no longer such. They are no longer the property of their masters, but rather free men and women owned by no one but themselves. Let it be said, let it be done. Anyone who acts in disobedience to this law will face persecution. Let it be said, let it be done. From the Capitol building, dated October 11, 2045."
The soldier stepped back from the crowd and shook off the reporters. The former slaves erupted in cheers and shouts of joy.


Wade Robbins inhaled sharply as tears came to his eyes. After 30 years of waiting, wondering, hoping, this day had finally come. He was free, no longer just property to his master Tauren Smith. His wife Kavien hugged him so hard that he lost his breath.
“Thank you, thank you!” she said, eyes to the sky. Wade took Kavien’s hand and squeezed it.
“We did it. We’re finally free.”
She hugged him again. “I know. I can barely believe it.”
“What do we do now,” he said, laughing in giddy.
“I don’t even know.” She pushed her hands through his tawny hair and kissed him. She looked him in the eye and then looked down at her pregnant belly.
“Our baby will be born free,’ she whispered.
“I know,” Wade echoed just as softly. He hugged Kavien again. He then turned around to one of his friends who immediately hugged him, sobbing loudly. Wade watched the military man step back toward his golf cart and start it. The man looked around him and pulled off, to inform the next household the news. Wade smiled at all the joy around him.
His smile faded when he saw Tauren Smith standing, looking out of a 3rd floor window. His face was harder than stone, colder than ice, and he was staring right at Wade.
Wade stepped back nervously, then reminded himself he did not have to fear Tauren Smith anymore. He was free! His eyes wandered back to the window where his former master held a huge glass figurine over his head and slammed it onto the floor. He then began to pick the pieces up and hurl them against the wall.

Wade could hear the man swear all the way where he was.




Lexie Warren-Smith sat on the bed in her room, watching as her her husband Tauren shattered a beautiful glass figurine onto the floor and began to smash those pieces into tinier pieces.

“Stupid fools. Stupid, stupid fools. Curse them all!”

Lexie slowly stood and put her arms around her husband.

“It’s okay, sweetheart. It’s okay.” She gently massaged his shoulders until he dropped the glass and sank down on the bed.

“Everything is ruined. How will we manage now?”

“We’ll manage,” Lexie said softly.

Tauren collapsed backward on the bed and sighed. “How could they do this? How could everyone vote against me. Everyone in the entire country voted against me. How could they want to end slavery? Don’t they know we need this, need them?”

“I know.”

“The final vote tally was 785-35. Only 35 stinkin votes? And I was the only Elder to vote in favor of keeping slavery.”

“I know that too.”

“You know all those people calling for slavery to end because of the morality of it all? They could go back to America for all I care.” Tauren sighed heavily and lowered his voice to a soft whisper. “The problem is that many people are saying that slavery was really to civilize the natives, and since they must be civilized now, then slavery has no purpose.”

“But they must know that big businesses rely on slaves--” Lexie started slowly, but Tauren cut her off.

“Of course they do. That’s why we have to fight back. I’m not going to let everything we’ve worked for--everything your father worked for go to waste.”

Lexie smiled at her husband. She always loved how her husband was always so strong, so determined. He was just like her father. Lexie put her arms around Tauren and kissed him.

“I know you won’t baby.” She paused, knowing that she had something to tell him, but she didn’t know how to say it with him in such a tense mood. She pulled him closer to her and grabbed his hands.

“Tauren, can I tell you something?”

“What is it, Lexie?” His voice was a little hard, so she tried again.

“Baby, look at me. I want to tell you something.” He sighed and looked her directly in the eye.

“I’m sorry. I’m listening.”

“Tauren, we’re having a baby.”

His eyebrows raised and his mouth quietly fell open. “Really? We are?”

“Yes we are. Aren’t you happy?” Tauren nodded, but his reaction wasn’t exactly the joyous response she was expecting.

“Of course I’m happy, Lex. I really am. Sorry if I don’t seem like I am. I just have a lot on my mind.” He stood, kissed her and then walked out of the room.

Lexie frowned and bit her lip. Suddenly, she hated all those who ended slavery as much as her husband did. She was going to do whatever possible to make those slaves pay, if it meant getting her husband back


“This is just great. Exactly what we needed right now,” now former slave master Tyler said to his best friend Tauren. They were sitting in Tyler’s den sipping iced lattes that were prepared by Tyler himself, not his kitchen slave.
“You’re telling me? You’re really telling me,” Tauren said, starting to yell.
“No, I guess not. Sorry Taur.”
“No, I’m sorry. I’m just kinda peeved about this whole thing.”
“You’re not the only one bro. This could ruin us all.”
“I know that. I know that. That’s why I’m so stressed.”
“I understand. Millie and I had a huge fight last night. This is putting a strain on everyone.”
“It just makes me so sick. Seeing all those slaves prancing around like they actually have rights. Does the military have the whole situation under control?”
Tyler shrugged. “I have no idea. I hope Josh has some idea of what to do. He’s a good guy.”
“Josh is, he’s one of the best, but all those slaves. I don’t trust them. Not one bit.”
“Those stupid radicals. Don’t they know this whole thing could turn south in a moment. There’s going to be complete chaos if we don’t set some ground rules.”
Tauren whipped out a notepad with a devilish smile on his face.
"Why don’t we then?” He grinned so wide that you could slide a plate in his mouth without touching any of his teeth.
“What do you mean? Why are you smiling like that,” Tyler said with a suspicious look on his face. He knew his best friend and he knew that that smile meant that he had an idea.
“Lightbulb,” Tauren said, his face still lit up in a grin.
His eyes were dark despite the luminosity of his face but his heart was even darker.


The author's comments:
This is an excerpt from a novel I have been working on for the past year. The premise is that America decides to colonize a small island in the South Pacific that had been previously untouched by outside influences. Once there, they enslave the natives in an attempt to "civilize them". This takes place about 30 years after the island is colonized and the slaves are freed.