Magick | Teen Ink

Magick

March 16, 2013
By Paigers97 GOLD, Stanardsville, Virginia
Paigers97 GOLD, Stanardsville, Virginia
17 articles 2 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." --Albert Einstein


Before you start reading this there is something you should know. Magick is all around us; it’s in the earth, in the air, in each and every person. Most people don’t know that magick truly exist, they don’t want to know; but people like me are trained to use it. People like me are meant to save the world.



The rain pelted the windshield of my car as I watched for my mark, a young girl who had just turned 12. According to my sources this girl was the one, she was the one that would set everything in motion. I had been watching for her well over an hour when she finally emerged from her hiding place, even though she was only 12 she stood as if she was much older.

Getting out of the car I started walking over hoping that she wouldn’t notice me and run off. I was only fifteen feet from her when she said, “What do you want?”

“What do you mean?” I answered to her unturned back.

“You want something, just like the man who came to me yesterday.”

The person who came to her yesterday must have been a kenvashc, the people my kind have been trying to stop from destroying the world for more than a thousand years.

“What did he want from you?” I asked her.

“He wanted the same thing you do, to use me,” she said sounding scared.

“I don’t want that. I only wish to help you understand your gift.”

“You mean my curse?”

If a person is capable of using the magick inside of them it starts to show around the time puberty starts, if not, the magick never shows and remains locked inside forever.

“No I mean your gift. What you have inside of you, it scares you. Doesn’t it?” I said to her.

“Yes,” she admitted.

“Scared enough that you would come with me?”

“Yes.”

“Good. If that is what you want then we need to get out of here,” I told her as I looked around. “It’s not safe being out here in the dark.”

“Why?”

“You’ll find that ghost and goblins aren’t the only things that go bump in the night,” I said as I led her back to my car.


Three and a half hours later I was sitting next to Tyra (the girl, I didn’t find out her name until we were about half way through the car ride.) My boss hadn’t come in yet, because if he had I would be long gone, tracking the next person whose life was about to be altered forever.

“Ms. Taylor, how nice of you to finally arrive back home,” I heard a voice from behind me say.

“Mr. Karp?” I asked wondering if it was my boss.

“That would be correct,” the voice said in a familiar tone, this time. “Your powers are still waning I assume.”

For the past year I have begun to loose my abilities to see the past and future, and I have been loosing my present sense too. Until this started happening I could see in a 360 degrees, you could say I had eyes in the back of my head, but now I only had a feeling of what around me.

“Yes,” I replied.

“Then maybe tracking wasn’t your true destiny as we originally thought it to be.”

“We?”

“Yes, the counsel and I, we think that maybe you were meant to train Tyra, to find her, then train her.”

“Whoa, hold on there. You want me to train a twelve-year-old defense tactics that I don’t even understand myself?”

“You were the highest in your class and have been on the job the longest.”

“What about Thomas or Ginny? Surely they can teach her, they were the ones who taught me after all,” I said trying to worm my way out of this.

“They have taken a leave of absents, they have been gone for nearly a week.”

I don’t know about you guys, but when some takes a leave of absents in my profession, it usually means they have been taken or killed, sometimes both.

“So will you do it?”

“What can she do? What’s her power?”

“She didn’t tell you?”

“I ended up doing most of the talking.”

“She can read minds, and with enough practice, she can control others. So will you train her?”

I looked at Tyra looking for a little bit of help; someone they thought was this important must have an incredible power. Looking at her I noticed something I haven’t seen in a long time. It was something that I had lost a long time ago, innocence.

“No,” I told him.

“What!?”

“You heard me, I said no. I am not going to take something so untainted and train it to kill. Doing something like that is unforgivable. Even if it is for the greater good.”

“Ms. Taylor, think about this, if you train her and she is who we think she is, then you will be honored and respected. If you don’t you will be looked upon as an outcast, shunned from this society. Think about that before you leave.”

Don’t get me wrong. I thought about that, as long and hard as I could in the span of ten seconds, but to me, honor and glory were not enough to make me turn this innocent child into a killer.

“Thanks, but no thanks,” and with that final sentence I turned my back on the society forever. At least that was I had intended to do, but you know people just don’t like it when you decide to walk out on everything you have ever known, they get a little antsy.

That’s when it hit me, something was bad was going to happen if I didn’t duck right now. So I followed my instincts and hit the floor as fast and hard as I possibly could. A knife hit the door I was just about to walk through.

“What the hell?” I asked my boss.

“You cannot walk out on this society, you are too valuable.”

“What do you mean?” I asked him.

“Lily watch out,” Tyra called out to me.

“What?”

“He’s about to pull….” was all I got before I felt the worse pain in my life, then the most peaceful as I drifted into the black oblivion.