A Tree of Hope | Teen Ink

A Tree of Hope

December 30, 2012
By Torina_Black SILVER, Laurel, Maryland
Torina_Black SILVER, Laurel, Maryland
5 articles 2 photos 0 comments

One morning, or perhaps it was night, I woke up to the feeling of someone watching me. I looked out the small shattered window above my small cot on which I lay, but my eyes only met with the usual barren wasteland; sand and dust covering the remains of this world, this world that had long since ended.
It seemed like I was the only living being that inhabited this world, if what I was doing counted as living. I felt no hunger or thirst, neither true exhaustion or energy. Any emotion I could feel had slowly faded away with time; and eventually so did time itself.
Over the days, or months, or even years, this is how I lived, wondering my fallen planet, immortal, yet helpless and alone, never straying far from my small, concrete hut that gave me shelter and warmth. For even an ended world had weather, and often the climate ranged from boiling hot, dry days, to frozen nights, outlined in frost.
Therefore, it is apparent why I would hunger for the eyes of another; for as far as I knew, only living, or at least once living beings had eyes.
I looked out my window, the emotions of curiosity and desire awakened within me once more. But it seemed as though everything was normal. But wait. Everything was normal. The sun was behind clouds, but frost did not cover the land.

I hopped off the cot, sprinting out the door. Expecting bitter cold, I cringed at first; the only article of clothing I wore was a tattered, thin, white dress, as it was the only garment that I could salvage from the ruins of this dead world. However, my skin felt no cold, nor heat. There was no sunshine, nor rain, or even wind. It was as if time had simply stopped passing; for there was no longer a difference between now and a minute from now.

Abruptly, that feeling of being watched swept over me again, overwhelming me to my knees, and another emotion awakened within me. It was hope. Then suddenly, I knew what I had to do. As if it had a mind of its own, my body began to move, walking towards the path of light of the rising moon. This path seemed right, like it would lead me to my one true hope, my one true desire; salvation.
, I walked, never pausing, but looking back behind only once, to see that my small shelter, the only home I had known for so long, was gone, obscured from view by the incessant hills of scraps and dust.
After walking for what must have been a full day, for the sun had risen and set, and the now full moon was slowly ascending, I saw something, a flicker of color astern a heap two mountains of debris. Unable to propitiate my curiosity further, I took off at a run through the small valley in between the two garbage heaps, only to come to a dead stop, my eyes wide with astonishment. For there in front of me, was another living being; a tree.
This tree was huge, towering over me, the pink blossoms floating off their branches in a rain of pink petals. Then, a light breeze blew over the tree, kissing my skin with the bloom’s sweet aroma, and the petals all began to swirl off of the tree in a flurry, as if a small pink cloud, glowing in the moons silvery light.
And the tree was bear. Dead, like everything else in this ended world, the magnificent sight of the flowers gone.
I stepped back, sinking into despair that my hopes were for naught, tears streaming down my horrified face, when, without warning, the whirl of blooms returned and began covering me in petals, engulfing me in alleviation once again. I closed my eyes, treasuring my moment away from the hell that I lived.
However, when my eyes opened, the tree was there, but the surroundings were different. The sand and wreckage was gone, and instead there was green, living grass, filled with all sorts of wild flowers in every color. The sky was a light blue, and the sun was just rising, its orange, pink, and yellows just peeking out from behind the horizon, merging with the blue.
Pang. That feeling I had had previously, of those eyes boring holes into my being returned, and when I turned, I saw them; those eyes that had watched me.
The eyes were a deep blue, just barely darker then the azure sky, with intensity enough to make one flinch, yet I did not avert my line of sight.
And then it hit me. I was looking at another human. I was no longer alone. I was in a different world. With that, all of the emotions I had lost, all of the memories, of color, of beauty, of love, and of hate flooded back in.
I stepped toward the person, noticing that they were male. I stepped towards him, but he stepped back defensively, suspicion plain on his face.
He wore a plain black shirt and pants, matching his black hair, causing his blue eyes to shine with an even brighter. The boy stared at me, as if surprised that I was standing right in front of him.
But then, a moment later, his face took on the emotion of understanding, as if everything then made sense, and he grabbed my hand, pulling me along through the meadow, away from the tree. But I felt like that was not a bad thing, that I should trust this person, for I had been placed from a world that had ended into a new world, onto a planet that where I could serve a purpose, my purpose. To create a new world of hope, where no one was lost, and no one ever had to be alone. And my tree of hope stayed standing, never blooming again, yet still a silent reminder of the beginning of my new world.


The author's comments:
I was at the Cherry Blossom Festival in DC, and the wind blew and the idea just kind of sparked in my head. I wrote it a while ago, but I hope its not all bad...