The Fairy and the Lost Girl | Teen Ink

The Fairy and the Lost Girl

December 18, 2011
By Bella.Electra PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona
Bella.Electra PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona
23 articles 2 photos 6 comments

Once upon a time, a beautiful baby was born to two peasants. The two called their daughter Annette, which was French for favor and grace.



One day, when she was seven, she was outside playing hopscotch, but after a while her parents couldn’t find her. From that day forward, the couple would rally their village in search of there lost child. After a week of looking, they had gotten a few neighbors to help them search. Soon, the whole village would join in on trying to find Annette. But sadly, after three months, the village had lost their hope in finding the girl, and stopped searching.


Everyone had told Annette’s poor parents that their dear daughter was dead, but they never believed a word they said. The two could still feel that their child was a live. And after two years, they decided to seek help from a local wizard, Bayard, hoping he could find their daughter, who would be turned nine next week.


The couple told the old wizard their story and waited for his reply. Bayard scratched his long, white beard and thought of something he could possibly do. After about ten minutes or so, the old man thought of an idea and walked outside toward the forest. The couple shrugged and decided to follow him.


They followed the old man on top of a hill, and waited to see what he’d do next. Bayard took a deep breathe and whistled a tune. A small, bright, purple light rushed toward them. At first they thought it was a bird, but when it got closer, they decided it was a bug. But, when it got close enough to them and Bayard, they realized this wasn’t any ordinary forest creature; this was a fairy.


The small pixie glittered with shades of bright purples and wild violets from her wings to her pointed shoes. On top of her tiny head long, shiny, dark brown hair danced in the wind. “Why have you called for me, my friend?” She asked Bayard sweetly.


“Donelle, my dearest friend,” Bayard addressed the fairy, “these two have lost their daughter, may you and you’re friends help find the young girl?”


Donelle agreed and the peasants gave her their best description of Annette. Then, Donelle flew off back into the trees and back home to her sisters.


When Donelle finished telling them her story, her three sisters thought for a while.


“Remember that story mother used to tell us?” Asked Fayette with a squeak; She was the youngest and smallest of the four fairies.


Donelle took a moment to remember the story. She remembered that when the four were only just learning to fly, their mother used to tell them a story about an evil witch who caught young creatures (Including fairies and humans) who had wondered into the forest. After she captured them, she made them sleep for one year. After a year, she turned them into a mouse, put them in a cage, and sold them in the market.


“That story can’t possibly be true, Fayette!” Donelle’s sister Nixie shook her head at Fayette making her sandy blonde hair fall out of its bun. “It’s time for you to grow up!”


“Calm down, Nixie,” Donelle grabbed her sister’s shoulder until her breathing went back to normal. “I think Fayette might be right.”


So that night, Donelle, Nixie, Suzette, and Fayette would come up with a plan.


The next morning, the four set out with Liliana, a fairy who was still only a child, and went wondering though the forest.


Around night fall, Liliana began to feel scared, so they started heading back home, but then they realized they were lost. Soon after, Liliana had disappeared. They flew after little Liliana, who they could hear shrieking. But soon, Fayette and Nixie fell behind. Suzette was the fastest flyer and speeded toward the screams, while Donelle struggled to keep up, but was determined to find the young human girl.


Finally, Suzette had stopped in front of a cottage. An old woman with hair as black as the night sky threw Liliana, who was asleep, into a cage surrounded by young mice. Luckily, Donelle spoke mouse and could understand it when they squeaked out their names, in hope she would rescue them.


But in one cage, an auburn mouse lay silent. “What is your name, sweet one?” Donelle asked it.


“My name is Annette, dear fairy.” Donelle was pleased to hear the reply. Donelle opened the tiny cage for the mouse and waited for Suzette to fetch Liliana back. When the sign was clear, Donelle and Suzette both carried the lost children home.


Bayard would turn Annette back into a girl and she would live a long happy life with her family. The end.


The author's comments:
I wrote this with help from my boyfriend, hope you like it!