Solus | Teen Ink

Solus

By Metrowolf SILVER, Orange Park, Florida
Metrowolf SILVER, Orange Park, Florida

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget how to live." Albus Dumbledore

I've been called many things in my day. Wicked, or evil. I've been called cruel and harsh, and by one particularly confused little girl, Gretal. I've ignored them, even the girl who called me Gretal, I wouldn't let their harsh words get to me because I was someone else now. But recently what I've been called is the most frightening thing they've come up with yet. A legend. Nothing more, nothing less.
Hundreds of years have passed since I last had a real name. Hundreds of years I gave away my mortality for the title of Goddess. Don't judge me for this, I wasn't looking for glory or power. I didn't even want to become an immortal being. I made a few mistakes, and it became the only option if I wanted to save the people I loved. It seems like a silly thing to do now that everyone has been long dead, but I'm immortal now. No way to change my mind anymore.
At first I was feared and respected by all, even myself. But as time passed people forgot who watches over them. My miracles were labeled as "science" and my praise went to those known as "doctors". I didn't know what to do. I was an all powerful being, getting pushed around by a few insignificant humans. I could feel other gods laughing at me. But like them, I learned to adapt to the changing times. I learned when to fight back and when to change with the times.
My mountain, deep in the Tennessee reserves, is still untouched by modern technology, but I do allow travelers to take glory in the wonders I'm protecting. My lost hometown, my wolves, my trees so tall they brush the sky. When I feel lonely, I take on a mortal form and roam the mountainside and local towns, granting favors to those who believe and watching all the new movies. (I must admit, I was swept away by "To Kill a Mockingbird". That's still new right?)
Don't plan on finding me next time you're in Gatlinburg though. I find those who deserve it. There's so little faith left in the world, that I fear I may be swept away soon. Unable and unwilling to save whats left of my patch of wilderness. Maybe it's just better that way.

Just a small bit that's follow up to a bigger piece I'm working on.