World 3000; The story in which the future is up to you. | Teen Ink

World 3000; The story in which the future is up to you.

By EricaLeigh SILVER, Alton, New Hampshire
EricaLeigh SILVER, Alton, New Hampshire

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

It all started one day in English class; I had this rush of energy and then all of a sudden I saw it. I was the only one seeing it, no one else could see it. It was like I was seeing into the future or something. It was so real that it was almost unreal. I saw a girl tripping down the stairway….
Okay, so you’re probably thinking “no big deal”, right? Well as time went on these “visions” kept becoming stranger and were happening more often and worse things were starting to happen in these “visions”.
I knew that I couldn’t tell people about these “visions” because first off I knew that they wouldn’t believe me and secondly because I thought that it was kind of cool to keep it to myself. You know something that only I knew about. After a few weeks of having these “visions” I came upon the thought of “what if there was a way that I could prevent these bad things from happening to people?”
That’s when I came up with this genius idea. My plan was simple, I would see these things happen in my “visions” and then I would try to find a way to prevent them from ever happening. Now in some cases this worked but in other cases it was much harder. When trying to prevent these things from happening I would either succeed or fail. Sometimes I thought that it would be easier to be able to travel back in time, but since that was almost impossible, I had to come up with another solution.
Oh man, I’m sorry I haven’t even formally introduced myself to you yet! I guess I should probably give you a little background history on myself. My name is Kevin Covas, I am 15 years old and I am in the 10th grade at Riverstone High. I live in Wenona North Carolina. My Mom is a nurse at the local hospital and my dad…well I actually don’t know that much about my father, he left my mom and me when I was three.
So, I guess you can say that I have lived a different lifestyle than most kids my age. Some people feel sorry for me not having a dad but most people could care less. See the people around here are all pretty rich so they don’t care about people like my mom and I. The only reason why my mom and I are living here is because my grandparents are sort of wealthy so they pay for us to live here.
If it wasn’t for my grandparents I don’t know where we would be living; I can only imagine. It is fair to say that we are not anything like our neighbors around here. Everyone on the street lives in big mansions with big pools and water fountains in their front yards with big paved, curvy driveways leading to their big garages. Not us though.
We are pretty much the complete opposite. We live in a small 2 bedroom house that we have lived in since as long as I can remember. Our car isn’t the best car in the world and we aren’t the most fortunate when it comes to money either. People look down on us I guess, probably because we aren’t rich like the rest of the neighborhood.
When you think about it do you really need expensive cars, name brand clothes and golden bath tubs to be happy? I mean my mom and I are perfectly happy here…at least I think we are.
Even though I have lived here forever I only have a few close friends, Charlie, Adam and Sam. We have known each other since Kindergarten and are inseparable. I guess you could say that they are my only friends. Actually they are my only friends; no one else seems to like me. I feel bad because I haven’t even told the guys about these “visions” that I have been having lately.
Which reminds me; Sam fell down and broke his arm last week. I knew that it was going to happen before it even happened but like I said before, what you do to prevent it either works or doesn’t. In this case it didn’t work out so well as you can tell. I felt really bad, you know, with me knowing that it was going to happen and all and then not being able to stop it from actually happening. Maybe the reason why I haven’t told the guys about these “visions” is because I am afraid that they will get mad at me for not stopping bad things like this from happening.
I saw this great movie a few months ago, it was called World 3000. In fact it was kind of weird because it was a just a few weeks before these “visions” started to happen but I don’t think that it had anything to do with the “visions”. The movie was about these men who were from the future and they had this big book that stated everything that happened in the past. What they did was travel back in time to prevent these things from happening.
It was just so amazing. The whole movie really amazed me. I was talking about it for weeks and then one day I just started getting these visions of my own. Weird, I know. I just wish I knew why.
I guess some people would think that it was cool to have “visions” but to tell you the truth it is a real pain sometimes, especially when you see bad stuff happening to you. For example: when your mom tells you that you are moving to a smaller house because your grandparents have refused to pay for our house any longer.
Yes, that is correct. Last Wednesday when I got home from school my mom told me the wonderful news. To tell you the truth, I wasn’t that happy. I mean, I have lived here my whole life; this is all that I have ever known. What about my friends?? Ok, so I know that I don’t have that many friends but for the few friends that I have I think that it is going to be hard to move away.
The worst part (not that news about moving was bad enough) was that we were going to be moving to Oklahoma. When I think of Oklahoma I think of buffalo. So I can only imagine what it is really like. The worst part was that I saw this in a vision that morning in Geometry class. I was just sitting there working on some graphs when all of a sudden I got this vision. I had to really think about this one all day long and think how I was going to prevent this one from happening.
Truth is…there is no way to stop this one from happening. I am going to be stuck in Oklahoma. I wish that there was a way that I could prevent this from happening.
I had the strangest dream the other night. I was somewhere that was totally unfamiliar to me. I had no clue where I was. Everything around me was strange and futuristic looking. The people in this dream where the characters from the movie World 3000. They were talking to me but I couldn’t really understand what they were talking about. They showed me their big book of past stuff and all I saw was Kevin Covas—that’s right, my name—on the page written in big red letters.
The next thing I can remember is my mom waking me up for school the next morning. That’s all that I can remember from the dream. It has been three weeks since that dream and I have not had one single “vision”. It is very strange if you ask me. Maybe the men from World 3000 came back in time and….no something that awesome could not happen to a kid like me.