Reality | Teen Ink

Reality

March 25, 2010
By Ilovehyphens SILVER, Modesto, California
Ilovehyphens SILVER, Modesto, California
5 articles 0 photos 8 comments

It was a chilly evening, snowing in all directions the eyes could see. Flakes of all patterns and sizes were slowly drifting towards the ground, which was something I would see most of the time from my warm and cozy room, looking out from a dirty window that hadn’t been wiped down for some years. I was filled with joy at the time, since Christmas was coming around the corner, as it seemed to do more quickly year by year. The air was tainted with a sweet aroma of tea, which the long, thin hairs inside my nose had smelled—tingling with excitement. This pleasing smell encouraged me to investigate, so I walked towards the kitchen, unaware of my casual apparel. One sock missing—the other with a hole in it, a blue and purple set of pajamas, and a necklace made out of cheap gold with a pendant shining of a green-colored emerald, which glittered with a majestic vibe. I was in a state of delirium at the time, though I did not know this. I was so distracted by my tired nature that I grew weary and drifted off course, forgetting entirely of the smell that had caught my attention, and of where it was taking me. I opened the window in the hallway and sat on it with my legs spread apart, as a jockey would on a horse. One of my legs was inside and the other was out. I did not know why I was doing this. Oddly enough, the foot that I happened to place outside in the snow was the one that was bare, but no matter. I blanked out, and there I was, number fifty-three. Thirteen other jockeys had horses, all of which had white coats of fur, ready to race me. The situation was quite different, but I was not shocked by it, strangely. I had never ridden a horse before, but it couldn’t be that hard to do, so I thought. There, I waited, on top of my horse. She was dark brown, unlike the others. She had a firm coat of hair running down from her forehead to the bottom of her large neck. Her eyes glowed with a bright blue color, which could have replaced the sky, if not the ocean, with their deep and flavorful pigment. Then, all of a sudden, images flashed, my mind grew blank; I was filled with confusion in all instances of reality. I was no longer on a horse; instead I was back on the window sill from which I had come from. My right foot was frozen with blue and gray colors dancing around each other. I quickly lifted it off of the never ending white clumps of snow to find that my foot disappeared! I hopped on my left foot towards the direction of my room, but this did not help. I looked down and saw it all happening beneath me; the dark wooden floor started to melt. I tried to grab on to the pictures on the wall with all of my might, but it was inevitable, the grip I had on a replica of an old Edvard Munch piece was no more. The floor grew immensely, giving itself enough room to draw me in. This all happened in an instant; I lost the fight. The floor turned into a pit, which seemed to be never ending in depth—to the point of boring one to sleep. I was still seeing the wooden material that made the dark brown floor, but it was not flat, holding hands with the shadows that resulted from the infinite pit as if they were newlyweds. Then, to my surprise, I had reached the bottom. Filled with fear as to what bones I had damaged, I quickly sat up and checked to see if I was alright. It was questionable, but I seemed to be just fine. Surprisingly, there was neither a single bone broken, nor a hair on my head affected. Falling down a giant pit isn’t quite that bad after all—the fall felt like it was broken by pillows. After checking to see if I was alright, I was curious to investigate this finite pit of darkness. As I was taking a step, a giant figure moved in the corner of my eye. It was most likely something my mind had contrived, since nothing could live in such a place, so I thought. As I was thinking this, my legs were shaking faster than a tap-dancer in a blender. Then I paused… for what seemed to be the longest second I had ever experienced. The dark being I had caught a glimpse of was standing directly in front of me. I tried to speak, but I ran out of breath. Blaming it on the pit, it was too deep to breathe. The dark being smirked, revealing all ten of its teeth. They were so bright that the sun seemed like a flashlight compared to them. I was blinded for some time, but I started to see again, slowly. The dark being stood in the same position, still, without making a fraction of a movement. It finally spoke to me, with a very high pitch voice saying, “Why are you afraid of me?” I was shocked to hear such a voice come from a dark and mysterious being of such immense size. I asked the being for its name. It looked at me, as if it were studying my very being. The dark being moved closer, and said, “My name is….” Where did I go? What was its name? Everything went blank again. I was no longer at home or in the pit from which I had just left. I was somewhere else, somewhere much less mysterious than before, yet still chilly in manner. I looked on what seemed to be the horizon and could see my own back, infinitely. This place, or whatever it was, was very small and had a large amount of gravity. Walking one step was the equivalent of running a mile on Earth. I tried jumping, but the only things moving were my arms, which were slammed down against the cushioned floor. This place was hard to describe, since it had such extremely good and extremely bad features, but no matter. I had given up worrying myself about the rivets. That is the details that gave my mind some sort of comparison to clear itself free from possible insanity. In regards to the population, this new locale was as desolate as the Sahara Desert, and it seemed to have not seen rain for some time, since everything was yellow. The grass, the trees, the lakes—(all water sources), the sky, and the clouds were all yellow. I squinted, looking around for whatever there was to see, since it was hard to tell what something was due to the yellow background color distorting the images. I stopped looking, not because I was failing to meet my task, but I stopped in astonishment. Yellow, it was not. It was a color I had never seen before. For I know all of my reds, my blues, my oranges, my greens, my purples, and all of the colors I had seen on Earth. No… this was something entirely different. Something my mind had no ability to render as existent, for I was not used to it. The object seemed to be alive, here I thought it was a mere shrubbery of some sort, but I was wrong. There it was, drinking from the yellow stagnant body of water, without noise or concern of its surrounding—a better look was exactly what I wanted to take, and so I did… growing closer… and closer… and closer.