The Lake of Effervescence | Teen Ink

The Lake of Effervescence

Bud was suddenly floating on a lake, filled with luminous, glowing spheres. He doesn’t remember how he got here, yet it seems familiar. The one task programmed into his mind was to collect the spheres, placing them carefully on his raft that seemed to be made of a large leaf. He looked around and noticed a few other kids, in the same situation as him, yet they seemed to know exactly what they were there for. He figured he’d play along. Scooping up as many orbs as he could, he placed them in the rear of his raft. He began to notice that every time he touched one, he gained a glimpse of a dream, some long lost hope that he might’ve had in another life. Suddenly, barging into his thoughts, he heard a noise that echoed across that lake. It sounded like chimes, but less harsh and more welcoming. He noticed other boys and girls beginning to follow the noise, like they’d done it thousands of times. He turned and followed the next boy that drifted past, all the way to shore.

They docked their boats on a floating wooden dock, and joined a group as they carefully placed the spheres in small, leafed baskets, just large enough to hold one orb. The baskets began to float through the sky, and Bud was in awe until he noticed the extensive vine that was carrying them. He pretended to understand the tasks and eventually followed the kids all the way back to a huge camp. They passed large buildings where people were packaging glowing sand in small pouches, catching flying golden globes, and picking dusted budded brightened flowers. A smiling woman approached Bud and asked him to follow her. He entered a large doorway which, after climbing dozens of steps, led to a throne room. The smiling woman left, and he was left alone with the woman sitting on the throne. She looked like just a regular women, except for that fact that she was sparkling. Just like almost everything else in this place. She motioned for him to come closer, and he stumbled up to her throne.

“I know you must be confused, most usually are. You are in a place called the ‘dream realm’. Every teenager from earth is sent here after they die.”

“Hold up. I’m dead?” he exclaimed. She began to explain everything to him, but he tuned it out. All he could think about were his younger brothers, and how they would survive without him. Although he didn’t make it obvious, they were the only thing that he really cared about. He would do anything for them, and now that he was dead, he didn’t know how his mom was going take care of them. After his dad was diagnosed with a heart disease, his mom had to do everything for them. She worked an extra job, and Bud was tasked with taking care of his brothers. Although he sometimes didn’t do as much as he could, he really cared about them.

“So you were sent here,” she finished up, “to carry out those dreams, to help the teenagers on earth.”

“Wait, what dreams?” He asked, confused again.

“Every kid has their dreams that seem impossible to reach. Some are big, and some don’t seem as important as they are. You’re all now tasked with aiding those kids. The dreams appear in the Lake of Effervescence, for you to collect. Every month, there’s a selection where you choose an orb. You will be tasked with aiding the dreamer on earth to fulfill this dream, or forget about it. Your first selection is tomorrow. Good luck.” She turned, and exited the room.

“I guess that’s my que to leave,” he muttered.

He woke the next morning, in a little hut surrounded by other boys. They were all up getting ready, and Bud realized that today was his first selection. He still hardly knew what was going on, but he got out of bed and began to get ready like the rest of the boys. They walked to the lake, and formed a circle around a little cove on the close side of the lake. It was filled with glowing orbs, which he now knew were dreams. One by one, the kids were called up by name and got to walk around the huge cove, eyeing the dreams. It felt like what he imagined graduation would feel like, although he’d never graduated. Suddenly, the teenager would seem drawn to a specific one, and they would gently scoop it out of the water, placing it safely in a basket. Finally, Bud’s name was called. He walked slowly towards the water, looking at all of the floating spheres. He kept walking up and down the shore. Nothing happened. He wasn’t drawn to any specific one, and he felt the stares of the rest of the kids on his back. Up and down he walked, ready to give up or just choose a random one. Suddenly, he spotted one jumping unexplainably higher than the others. It seemed to have a pillar of light falling down on it, and Bud immediately chose it.

After everyone had taken their turn, they walked to the palace, carefully holding their baskets. They entered a room, illuminated by three giant chandeliers. There were multiple rows of plush, extravagant, deep purple chairs, with glass white desks in front of each. It made him feel in power, almost magical. He took his seat and placed the orb on a small stand on the desk.

“Everyone take their seats!” one of the proctors said, “I know many of you have done this before, but let me give a brief explanation. As you place your orb in the stand, it will connect itself to the community of your dreamer on earth. Placing your hands on the orb, you will be able to interfere with their life. They won’t be able to see you, but you can easily place thoughts into their heads. It may be difficult at first, but simply remember your end goal: either help them achieve their dream, or aid them in forgetting it if it is unachievable. Good luck.”

Bud looked around to see everyone placing their hands on their orb, then immediately shutting their eyes and resting back into the pool of purple behind them, as if their soul had left their body. He brought his attention back to his own glowing sphere. Slowly, he placed his palms on the shimmering surface. Everything went black.

Stark lights blinded him as he opened his eyes. He looked around, and his eyes fell on a girl, probably 17 or 18, about his age. She was laying in a bed, propped up by a few pillows. She was reading a book, “Pride and Prejudice”. A lady walked in, holding a clipboard. She walked over to a small machine next to the bed, and typed something into the screen. Bud finally realized, this lady was a nurse. They were in a hospital.

The nurse walked to the door, whispering something to an older woman who was entering. She nodded, and the nurse left. The new woman slowly walked over to the girl’s bed and sat on the edge. She handed her a bowl of soup.

“Rose, can you please eat something?” Bud assumed it was her mother. Rose shook her head.

“I’m not getting better, am I.” A cold silence filled the room.

“They’re doing everything in their power,” her mother said, after too many empty moments. It sounded like she was trying to convince herself that her daughter would get better. She pulled her into a hug, and they both began to cry. After what seemed to be about an hour, Rose began to talk to her mom about everything she wish she could experience.

“I want to finish high school, and go to college. I want to watch my little sister grow up, and be her best friend. I want to rescue a dog, and give it the best life it could ask for. But most of all, I want to fall in love.” Bud understood now- this was her dream. To fall in love. How in the world was he supposed to make that happen, especially since she’s about to die?

Her mother left, and Bud went over and sat in a chair next to her bed. She looked straight at him, and said “Who are you?” Bud almost fell off his chair. They said she wasn’t supposed to be able to see him! He realized she might be close enough to death to be able to see another dead person. He sat there for a while, contemplating this question for himself- who was he?

“Well, you might not believe me.”

“Trust me, I have to believe a lot of things people tell me. Try me,” she said with a little grin.

“You see, I was just like you. A teenager, living on earth. One day I died. I woke up in some sort of spirit world, called the ‘dream realm’. I got assigned to help you on earth.” He didn’t really know what else to say, but she seemed like she understood, even though it was impossible. They talked for hours. The window in their room went dark, and they still had more to talk about. They had so much in common. Bud couldn’t imagine how a girl this special could just die, and be forgotten.

When the sun began to rise, Bud told her to get some sleep. Rose reluctantly turned over and closed her eyes. She wanted to keep talking. She’d never met someone that she felt so connected to. Somehow, they were meant to cross each other’s paths. He made her feel alive, even when she was so close to death.

Bud sat there, thinking. He kept thinking about her. All the sudden, he fell back in his chair, as if he was sinking. Everything went black.

Bud woke up, floating on a lake, filled with luminous, glowing spheres. This time he remembers how he got there. He remembers everything. 

“No! No no no that can’t be it! I never even got the chance to help her!” Bud began to sob. Suddenly, he heard someone calling his name, a voice he knew really well.

“Rose!” He screamed into the foggy air. He watched anxiously as Rose’s figure sailed towards him on a boat identical to his own. He couldn’t imagine how he could miss someone this much. She jumped over to his boat and gave him the biggest hug.

“It’s all real, Bud! It’s all real! It’s magical!” She wrapped her arms around his neck and looked into his eyes. He leaned down and kissed her. The glittering waves softly lapping up on the edge of their boat, the fog creating mystical clouds around them, and the luminous orbs of other dreams. But all of Bud’s dreams had come true, and he could tell Rose felt the same way.

In the end, Rose got the dream she had yearned for: to fall in love. And Bud got a dream he never knew he needed to badly.

I began writing this for a creative writing class, but I ended up falling in love with it. I didn't put nearly as much thought and detail into it as I wish I had time for, but it has truly helped my writing.