Miss Moonlight | Teen Ink

Miss Moonlight

By AllyHowell SILVER, Newington, Connecticut
AllyHowell SILVER, Newington, Connecticut

From across the moon, I hear a woman singing. Sent here from the smartest creatures on Earth, I know my target is found. I have been sent here to find her. The woman we lost so long ago. 

By now, she's stopped breathing. Some sort of evolution has allowed this due to her long presence. Without breath, she continues singing. Despite her lack of oxygen, she sings like she’s in a luscious field with clear waters, green grass, and fresh air. Perhaps her homesickness brings her to this peaceful scene. 

I can feel the pain in her voice as she fails to sing through it. I know she wants to go home. I slowly move toward the direction of her voice, a difficult task in space. 

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I see a grey figure sitting motionless and staring into the solar system. It is her. I approach her slowly. 

She turns her head to me as I get close. She brushes her long gray hair with her fingers and stared at me with hopeless and jaded silver eyes. I had never seen eyes like hers, as silver as a sheet of steel. But they were here, looking back at me.

“Hello,” I said to her as she stared up at me. “I’m here to take you back home.” 

She continues to stare blankly at me as if she forgot the sound of home. In front of my audience of stars and planets, I kneel down and hold out my hand. 

“Didn’t you hear me?” I asked gently. “I’m sure you did. Don’t you want to go home?” 

Her stare gained hope and meaning as she takes my hand. I help her stand up and we walk to the spaceship. In moments, she was back to singing in the open space she called home. She was back where she belonged.

I initially wrote this for a 100-word story contest, but it exceeded the word limit. Instead of hiding it or shortening it, I decided it would best fit on my TeenInk account! I personally like how short this story is because my other works of fiction tend to be closer to 1,000 words than 100 words.