Twisted Heaven Part 3 | Teen Ink

Twisted Heaven Part 3

By hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas
hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

“God, of your goodness, give me yourself; you are enough for me, and anything less that I could ask for would not do you full honour. And if I ask anything that is less, I shall always lack something, but in you alone I have everything”

Part 3 (of 4)
U DID WHAT?!
-STEPH
Kaily read the text from her best friend and typed:
He pinned me to a locker, idk wat 2 do, so I ran. Wuz soooo cold and totally scary 4rl.
-Klee
Kaily sighed as the message sent, not knowing how to feel. On one hand, Blaine was a nice guy. They had gotten off to a bad start, but he really hadn’t done anything wrong. But on the other hand, he creeped her out. Something about him didn’t feel right. She couldn’t figure out what it was though. Her phone vibrated in her pocket and she tapped the screen.
WOW WOW WOW THTS CRAZY! WONDER Y HE STICKS ROUND U LIKE DAT? SOME CREEPY STALKER? IDK GIRL. BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, SHAWN IS SO CUTE. A KEEPER FO SHO. :P U2 HIT IT OFF! ;)
-sTePh
Kaily giggled then typed,
Yes, I really like him. I mean, he seems like a good guy, right? And smart! YAY! :o
-Klee
Kaily looked up from her phone when she heard a knock on the door. She got up from her comfy chair and padded down the stairs to the wide foyer. Marble tiles arranged in a checkerboard pattern adorned the floors. A glass chandelier hung above. On the left stood a heavy oak hutch with fake flowers in the glass cases. On the right, a large mirror filled the wall space. Kaily peeked through the peephole of the massive red door and was taken aback. Shawn was standing on the large patio, his hands in his pockets, humming a tune. She frantically looked in the mirror. She wore a pink tank top that didn’t quite hide her polka dot bra. And gray sweatpants. To make things worse, her socks didn’t even match and her hair was piled high on top of her head. “Yikes! I don’t even have any makeup on,” she said quietly. “This is so embarrassing!” Kaily shook out her hair, and put on a smile. She turned to unlock the door and opened it to reveal a smiling Shawn.
“Hey Kaily,” he said pleasantly. Then he saw his eyes drift from her face to her ridiculous ensemble. His eyes lingered a split second longer on the tank top than Kaily thought necessary. She crossed her arms in attempt to cover herself a bit. “He is going to think I wear stuff like this on purpose. Man, what a day to wear this. Why couldn’t it have been a t-shirt or sweater? No, I chose the see-through tank top. ‘Its just me at the house, I could run around in my underwear if I wanted!’ Yeah, that’s what I told myself when I got home. It’s not such a brilliant idea now, is it Kaily?” She thought to herself.
“Hi. What are you doing here?” Kaily said then blushed. “I mean. . I’m sorry that came out wrong. I meant, what brings you here? Because we just met. And I didn’t even know you knew where I lived. Normally this would seem kind of creepy, I guess. So should I be worried? It’s not every day… you…I .. You know, sometimes I tend to talk a whole lot more than I should. Sometimes I just go on and on and on. So feel free to stop me at any time.”
Do you always turn such a lovely shade of pink when I am around?” Shawn asked with a grin.
“Well. . . I. . sometimes. . . yes” Kaily consented. “Don’t you ever get embarrassed? Or are you too tough for blushing?”
You make me turn pink and I will give you something special.” Shawn said with a hint of mystery in his eyes.
“Come in,” Kaily laughed. “Im sure you don’t want to stand outside. Can I get you anything?”
“Just a water would be nice,” he said.
“Coming right up, just follow me.” Kaily led him through the marble hallway to the living room. Dark purple curtains hung on the windows. Two brown suede couches and a printed chair faced the TV. The walls were a beige color, with a dark purple stripe in the middle of the wall. The wall with the entertainment center was painted a chocolate brown. All the walls had intricate crown molding. A huge fireplace and decorative mantel stood on the far wall. Dark brown, wooden side tables sat on each side of one couch. There was a coffee table in front of the other. Various plants and decorative pillows completed the look.
“Wow this is a beautiful house,” Shawn announced and took a seat on the couch. Kaily stood in the kitchen, pouring a glass of water. She could clearly see all of the living room from the sink.
“Thanks. My mom is an interior designer. So, she went a little crazy.”
“No, it’s beautiful. Thanks,” he said as she handed him the glass. “So I’m sure you are wondering why I am here. Other than wanting to see your charming face, I do have a reason.” Kaily bit her lip, nervousness creeping over her. She sat down on the couch opposite him.
“Yes,” she prompted.
“Well I have some ideas for the paper I would like to run by you,” he looked at her expectantly.
“Oh,” she said, trying to hide her disappointment. “Go on.”
“Well, first off, I think we should have an on-going story. Maybe we could write a novel broken into chapters that end in suspense. It would keep the readers interested. After a cliff-hanger, the readers would need to buy the next paper to see what happens next. And since the paper is monthly, they would be anticipating the next chapter for a while. Do you like it?” he asked.
“I really like it, but there is a problem. We are a little short-handed. Everyone is doing more than the normal workload. It would be suicide to pile more on my staff. I just couldn’t do that to them. I would be happy to handle it, but I have so much work to do as it is. Then with school; I have to keep up my grades. I just don’t think we could handle a job like that. Writing a novel is not a small job. While it is a great idea, I just don’t think I could do it. I’m sorry Shawn.”
“No I totally understand that you guys have so much to do, but we could still take it on.”
“What are you suggesting? You should do it?” she asked doubtfully.
“Well if you insist,” Shawn smiled. Kaily did not return the smile, and instead sat in silence. She finally decided to tell him the truth.
“You have barely been on the team one day! You already want your own column? That column would be the highlight of each issue.” She vented.
“I would only take on the job with your permission. Please, I’m not trying to be arrogant at all. I honestly want to help you out by getting more readers.” He pleaded.
“Are you suggesting we lack readers?” Kaily asked defensively. “Shawn, I think you are out of line saying that.”
“Kaily, it is in your best interest to take my advice.” Kaily’s phone vibrated and she read:

U2 R MADE 4 EACH OTHR :P

LUV STEPHI

Kaily quickly put her phone away, trying to hide her anger. “Shawn, I’m going to have to say no. Never has a beginning journalist been given such a noteworthy assignment. I have other people to think about here. As editor, my job is to do what is best for the paper. Not for me, not for you, but whatever is best to get the paper out on time. I think right now, fairness presides. My top priority is to get the March issue done. When you have proved yourself as a writer, and more importantly as a member of out news family, I may reconsider. But for now, my answer stands. No.”
Shawn seemed surprised. He just looked at her with wide eyes for a minute. He finally said, “If that is how you feel, I will respect your decision. I hope I can change your mind. I’m sorry for disturbing you this late. I will see you tomorrow.” He smiled, not as warmly as before. Kaily got up. “I can find my way out. Thank you,” he said, so Kaily sat back down.
“Okay, Shawn. See you tomorrow. Goodbye.” Kaily said with some hesitation.

Kaily just sat on the couch, thinking about what had just happened. “I wonder if I was too harsh. I laid down the law, that’s for sure. But I really hope I didn’t ruin my relationship with him. He seemed like such a great guy. I wonder if his motives were all wrong. He was so friendly, maybe just so that he could get on my good side. But why would he want to be in control of the paper so bad? I just don’t get it. Maybe he just wanted to help, like he said. But it took a lot of guts barging in and asking for such a thing. I have to give him credit for that. Maybe I am blinded by his cuteness.” She laughed to herself. “I don’t know what to do now. Things will be so awkward at school. Ugh.” She said.

Kaily jogged back up the stairs and went into her bedroom. The walls were black, with white wane’s coating halfway up the walls. She had a large pink and white polka dot bedspread. There were random colorful pillows on the bed. The headboard was soft and covered in a zebra print. In the corner were hanging lamps and a comfy white chair underneath. Her computer and desk stood in the other corner. Next to the desk was a big bay window. The seat was covered in the same zebra print. Kaily went into her huge walk-in closet and sat down in one of the chairs. She looked around at the rows of shoes and clothes, planning her outfit for tomorrow, but also thinking about Shawn. She wasn’t sure where to go from here. She thought there was a chance they could become something. Things had looked so promising.
He was a major flirt, at least with her. And she was not hesitant at all to flirt back. Kaily found that a little surprising because she had never had a boyfriend before. Seventeen years old and she had never been kissed. She had never even held hands with a boy. But flirting with Shawn came so easy. It was effortless. That made Kaily more worried than anything else. She didn’t want to get into a relationship. Independence was more her thing. She wasn’t into boys. Sure, she had dreams of settling down with a nice guy. But she wanted her career to come first. She didn’t want to be dependent on a guy, spending every moment of the day with him like most girls today. She wanted to focus on school, college, job, and then maybe start looking for the great guy she knew was out there for her. “I am me. The guy I find will not define me or change what I stand for. He will merely accentuate what I already am and I will complement him too. But I will not be boy crazy like Stephanie or the other girls. I am more mature!” she told herself. “No Shawn, I will not be your girlfriend. No Shawn, I don’t want to go out with you. Why, you ask? Because I have more important things in my life! I have to think about my future. I am smart, I am pretty, I am successful!” she muttered. Then, she stopped. “ I sound like my work-crazy mother! How about this: I will do what makes me happy. And if that means dating Shawn, I might consider it. But I wont let that change what I really love: writing. So as of now, I will do what makes me happy.” She nodded and got up from the chair, content with her new resolution. She thought about the message Steph had sent her. “We are kind of cute together,” she thought with a smile. She walked back into her room and sat down on the bed. She hadn’t realized how long she had been in the closet thinking. “I guess I should go to bed,” she said out loud and flipped off the lights then shimmied under the covers.

This is the third part of four parts that make up a chapter of my novel. It is a major work in progress, but i am enjoying writing it immensely! I have a newfound respect for all those successful authors out there! Look for the last part...coming soon lol

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

thanks!

awesomeaugust GOLD, Boston, Massachusetts

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground"
~Theordore Roosevelt

haha... well I haven't read the first two parts yet, but I really liked your writing style!

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

If you just read all of that, i congratulate you. lol

After spending all that time, you might as well comment! (: