Lagoon of Hope | Teen Ink

Lagoon of Hope

The world is devastated, the pollution is covering the whole world. There are no countries nor towns, people had became so uncivilized that even the animals disappear from the world. Getting money is hard for everyone inside of the Nests, places where communities fight to survive in a place where nothing but tragedies happen. These places are under the control of the government. But, there are some illegal places in the Nests for the people who need money or are looking for fun.

January 5th, 9022. Darkness and isolation eat the streets of the Nest No. 060522. Not animals but just humans, the most horrible creature on the earth, the earth eaters, the hopeless, the demons on earth. Some shadows run around like they were dogs, Maykol can’t walk to his home without a hand on his Beretta Laramie, charged and ready to shoot, nothing gets near or too far. What you do in this Nest can maintain you alive or just get you killed but Maykol is not able to even blink. His daughter, Agatha Zook, was so sick and without medicine because of the high price it has on the government store, and unfortunately they are poor.

In the streets of the Nest no one knows if they are shooting or blowing fireworks, and from time to time the cries of people suffering or someone crying was the most common to the point that not even Agatha woke up like she did when she was a baby. Maykol walked in the middle of dark streets and could barely see own shoes. He was panicading, his situation was so bad that his steps were going faster than a car in the middle of a highway. 

Someone knocked the door, it sounded like he was just about to die or like he was being chased. A weak voice talked on the other side of the door. 

“Password?”

“Dead dog, dead future, dead world”

The sounds of a little girl trying to unlock the door with so many locks and her deep breaths were able to be heard and it was giving Maykol on the other side of the door rigor. 

“Hey Dad… nice to see you, were you able to get a job or to find some food?”

“My love, Agatha, how are you feeling? Are you feeling a little better? Will you like me to do something for you?” said Maykol pulling her up with his arms.

“Dad, I ask you something first, are you trying to avoid my questions? Did you do something wrong?” said Agatha, really worried about her father.

He let go a gentle giggle. 

“Sorry that I avoid your questions my love, is just that the moment I saw you I just wanted to hug you and be with you. I know you are having a hard time with this illness but I promised you that I will get the money to give you all you want and search for a cure for your illness!”

“Father, it’s alright. I know it’s hard but if you are with me I will be able to keep fighting.” exclame Agatha with a big and pure smile.

Maykol with the eyes about to explode and become a waterfall respondes, 

“My love I got a job, Paps will need to go to a supper with some people I met today and I will go to get some money, and not only that but I brought you hoagie”

These words made an impact in the life of Agatha, it was like her world that was just in black, white, and gray but now it’s turning in the color of life and some hope was entering her heart. Maykol noticed and answered her face with a pure and gentle smile and after this he realized that he will be out for that night and that no one will be checking Agatha to see if she is alright. He thought about it, and the first person to come to mind to take his place was his dearest angel, Xynx Clark. 

Xynx is a beautiful woman, not only gorgeous, but intelligent. No one was at her level; she’s isolated from men, the other demons of the world. She spent some time as a fugitive until she found Maykol; her savior. But, enough about him; Xynx was set up for failure. Prior to her life as a fugitive, she lived lavishly. Nice clothes, a fancy car–her entire future laying in her palm, but that's merely a thing of the past. Xynx was in desperation, she needed to be free; but this desperation just brought her more tragedies and traumas to her life. The Nest saw her as the villain, nobody felt comfortable next to her; she was just one more of the demons in the Nest that just wanted to be happy and have fun in their own way. Enough money for a knife and a black coat; the first victim of this desperation was her unique friend, a kitty. She felt free. All the desperation and anger she had was disappearing a little with each jab of her knife into the innocent cat who thought that she would never be like the other demons; but how wrong was the kitty? She fed this feeling of peace and liberty by killing people for pleasure. Xynx felt like she was inside of a terrorific castle where no one would rescue her but as her knight in shining armor, Maykol changed her life for the better. 

Love connected Maykol to someone who, for him, was an angel in a world of demons. But, tragedy destroyed this love. He feared that someday he would become a demon, but for some reason, he didn’t lose his hope. Maykol never lost hope, he never gave up on his and his daughter's life, and that spared him his life. In the Nest, the most common thing to do is to ignore the stranger and look away, but Maykol felt the urge to help in that moment. When he heard a woman screaming and crying at the foot of a dark-ended street, he thought that the demons were picking their next victim, but when he reached the shadow, his mind was decorated by fear and confusion. A good-looking woman was taking the life of a friend of his–an acquaintance of his. Xynx looked him in the eyes, and instead of seeing her as a monster, he saw a suffering woman. She needed help, and in that moment, Maykol offered her a hand; he saved her life, giving her a new opportunity to not continue being a demon. 

He grabbed his phone from his pocket, he searched on his poor list of contacts to the name “Xynx.” He called at the number hoping that Xynx would pick up the phone. A gentle and perfect voice responde.

“Hello love, how are you doing?” said Xynx with a voice dripping with happiness.

“Hey angel, I'm doing good, thank you for asking, How are you doing?... Angel, I would like to ask you for a favor? I’m really sorry for asking you for this but you are the only one I can trust” 

“Glad to hear that you are good, my love, you can ask me whatever you want. Don’t worry about it, I would do the same if I was you, and I’m good too” 

Glad and relieved that she said that, Maykol answered.

“Thank you so much Xynx. Well the thing is that I need to be at one supper tonight to get some money to buy the medication for Agatha. So I would like to ask you if you would be able to come and spend time with her while I’m gone? If you want you can stay in my room.”

For a space of time there was silence but then a cheer of happiness and excitement was making the phone dance between the hands of Maykol.

“I would love to, thank you for this big opportunity. Good luck on your supper my love. Bye!”

9:00 pm, Night Time, At home…

…Inside of Maximillian Building, 11:00 pm, mission: murder the most horrible demon in the Nest no. 060522.

A night to kill, a night to solve problems and buy happiness. Money, money is everything in these traumatizing places, with money all things are solved, the illness of his love, Agatha, will be cured. Dressed in black, even the shadows are confused when he moves, did Maykol already kill someone? It could be a possibility. But tonight, blood is going to spill on the floor. 

Inside of the room is a traitor, one that is just nothing next to the other ones. But, his job is to be like one of them. Money is on the poker table, his next move can make him lose everything or get out of there with furniture to live a life with prosperity and never experience the sense of blood on his hands. 5 seconds it took, the body was on the floor, no one noticed until a yelp ruined everything. He was the only one with blood, he ran among the bullets of the guards. There was no time, but a window saved him. He jumped from it without thinking twice, the only thing that was there was a deep and fearful lagoon of shadows but to his eyes it was a lagoon of hope