A Dark Morning | Teen Ink

A Dark Morning

By CarlosMendez BRONZE, Houston, Texas
CarlosMendez BRONZE, Houston, Texas

It was nine fifteen in the morning, no birds were chirping, some plants were dead, and it was pitch black. Sol opened her curtains and saw nothing but darkness. She was confused as of why the streets were empty, why everyone was outside with flashlights, and why everyone was freaking out over it being so dark. Sol had taken a couple of minutes to comprehend everything that was going on since she had barely woken up. Her little brother and her parents had gone outside to talk to the neighbors about the situation.  Sol powered on the television and changed it to the news channel to see what was going on. The news channel employees were concerned over the situation as they weren’t informed about an early solar eclipse. Most people didn’t think too much of it since most clouds were always blocking the sun and solar eclipses were normal to the human race. This wasn’t a cloud nor a solar eclipse though, the tall sun had literally vanished in a blink of an eye. Sol was bewildered as what was happening to the world since this was the most commotion she has experienced. Sol decided to call up her friend Carlos and ask what was going on, he was just as confused as Sol was. Carlos had picked up the phone so fast that it surprised Sol that he did, Carlos wasn’t too worried about the sun not being up though since he had his family safe and that’s all that matters to him. Sol was still a little concerned, so she called her other friend, Estrella. Estrella was freaking out so much that Sol had to sing to her to calm her down, she was crying over the sun not being there and her plant slowly dying. Sol had hung up on her once she had calmed down but then called her other friend, Luna. She was as confused as Sol was, they didn’t know if they should be afraid or not, so they just didn’t think too much of it. The electricity still worked and so did the lights in the house, so they knew it wasn’t a power outage. Since everyone thought it was the end of the world, they went out to get canned foods and bottled water. Sol then decided to plant some vegetables in her house under a hot light and took good care of it just in case the energy ever did go out. People started to buy tons of flashlights to plant on the street so they would be able to see. All other plants that were left outside were slowly dying by the next few weeks, the weather got crazy, and the temperature of the earth dropped an alarming rate. Global warming was no longer a problem but now the world may freeze to death. The society Sol was living in was always ready for whatever came its way, so there wasn’t much to worry about. As people started to adapt to the new world they were living in, they discovered new ways to do certain things. As the weather got colder, people started to get closer to each other to warm up even if their thermostat at home worked fine. Sol and her family took on the new way of life well and got around the obstacles like when it got to extremely cold temperatures or when the snow was higher than 10 inches. Many people from Sol’s family passed away due to the harsh weather conditions, it got too cold that people got frostbite from going outside without two jackets on. Sol’s plants helped people around her since some people didn’t think of saving the plants like how Sol did. Carlos, Estrella and Luna all did what Sol did and they too helped the society with fresh veggies or ate them for themselves. Four months had passed, and the sun had not woken up yet. Many people from the neighborhood had left with their family members and left their house alone, the desperate people had gone into the houses that were unattended since they thought they had food in their fridge or in their pantry. The city began to turn around upside down, many people had turned their back to the society and began to get desperate for resources even if they had their own. Everyone began to steal and rob houses, even people who were in cars with a whole bunch of stuff. Sol and her family weren’t ever attacked since they had a fence and cameras around their house, their backyard was pretty big though. Every now and then people would roam in their backyard but weren’t ever a real threat to Sol and her family since they had a whole artillery of weapons. Later on one of those freezing days, Sol’s home got broken into and unfortunately lost her plant and most of her food, they had no choice but to go and rob houses themselves but got caught in the worst way possible, Sol and her family didn’t return home that day.

I was inspired by the solar eclipesis to write this story because I like things that go on in space or things that are worldwide. It is so  amazing how the world and space works.