Interwoven Wolves 2: The Magic Divide(10) | Teen Ink

Interwoven Wolves 2: The Magic Divide(10)

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

echo startled awake. something was on her, prickling her arm, moving. she had no idea what it was! she kept her eyes closed and tried to think, but the movment distracted her. her back tansed. it felt like a spider... what if it was poisonus? she reluctantly opened her eyes, her back tensing must have given her away. she slowly lifted her head.

there! a giant spid- wait, no, not a spider. 

"onyx! you scared me!" the tiny black ball of fluff turned to her with innocent eyes.

"sorry."

"aw its ok, you're too cu- wait, did you just talk?!"

"you talked first!" why was there a cat talking?!

"FROST?!" was she still dreaming or something?

"whos that?"

frost ran in. "what?"

"this cat is talking!"

"so?" onyx asked innocently.

"so, cats dont talk. thats not normal."

frost stared at her. "its just meowing."

"no! its talking! like a person! she apoligized!"

"um... did you go to a physiatrist ever?"

"im not crazy! it talks!"

onyx laughed. "of course i talk. so do you. can you make the human be quiet? its whining is annoying."

"did you hear her? she said to make you shut up."

"i heard a meow."

"she doesnt understand you. am i crazy?"

"nope! that human is really obnoxios. you should get a new one."

"if i could, i would."

"what are you saying about me?"

"nothing! i was saying... if i could get her a mouse, i would."

"that doesnt match your tone. whatever. can she understand you?"

"well clearly, we're having converstations. im having a conversation! with a cat! frost, thats not normal!"

"of course its normal!" onyx laughed at her.

"what did you hear?"

"a meow, and then a purr. ok, have her do something to prove that you arent imagining it."

"ok... uh, onyx, would you please... uh... go sniff that rock?"

"thats stupid."

"no, its a fun game! if you decide the rock is good enough, we can play with it."

"ok. youre weird." onyx bounded over to the rock, and then ushed it in the water.

"no."

"alright, we'll find something else."

"ok!" onyx ran back and pounced on her arm with sharp claws.

"ouch!"

"sorry."

"she does understand you."

"i told you so."

"must be magic. youre fine."

"ok." a thought occured to her. "can you tell pipe shes going to become my assistant? i want to moniter her. i dont think anything is wrong with her, but if i can keep my eye on her i'll rest much easier."

"ok... when should i send her over?"

"ill just throw together a few things and then ill be ready." this way, she could try to save at least one of the pups from becoming totally brainwashed. and, id she spotted any more problems she could get a had start on them. and  keep heraway from key, who might tell her about how she didnt fall into the fire in great detail.

"alright. have you ever taked to animals before?"

"yes, of course."

"i mean recently."

"no."

"alright, when you can try and talk to some wild..." frost eyes lit with an idea.

"what?"

frost turned into a wolf and started barking. onyx jumped behind her and hid.

"did you understand me?"

"no."

"so you couldnt understand raven?"

"couldnt you as a wolf?"

"no, its jumbled."

"so how would i be able to understand?!"

"um... i only just thought o it! i didn't have time to think it thru."

echo didn't really have a response, so she turned to onyx. "yes, I agree." 

"she didn't meow."

"body laungue." onyx stared at her.

"what did I say?"

"we'll discuss it later." onyx stared at her for a moment, then shrugged.

"alright, I'm going to go talk to pipe."

"alright, bye."

"so what was that about?" onyx gave her the judgemental cat eyes(you know you've gotten them too)

"I didn't have a response so I predtanded you said something to avoid awkwardness."

"you could have just eyed her until she left. is she a dog?"

"yes."

"I hate dogs. they're stupid and they try to bite me."

"I cant do anything about it. here, sit on my shoulder while I get some stuff ready." how was she just casually having a conversation with a cat?

"I don't wa... ok." despite her confusion, echo put onyx on her shoulder where she felt her hair tugged. of course. it was the perfect toy. she laughed quietly and set up a bed and area for pipe along the wall with the pool in an area that was dry. she cleaned up her stuff and pulled onyx into her arms.

"hey!"

"what?"

"I want to keep playing." 

echo brushed some hair over her shoulder for onyx. "happy?"

"mmhm." 

"ok, I'm going to put you down and make a real toy."

"ok..." echo left and collected a branch, and then as an owl preened a few soft feathers, and then plucked a few strands of hair, wincing. she twisted them into a string and tied it to the branch and feathers, then returned. on her way thru the cavern pausing.

"pipe, did frost talk to you?"

"yes!"

"alright, ready to go?"

"yep!" pipe smiled and ran after her.

"alright, that area over there with the bed is for you, try to keep it clean. this is onyx, my cat. she talks to me, which of course isn't creepy at all."

"hey!"

"sorry. i made you a toy."

"forgiven! lets play!"

"not now. onyx, this is pipe. shes going to be my assistant."

"you're talking to a cat?"

"yes. i offended her when i called her creepy, so i was apologizing."

"alright. so what will we do?"

"I'm not sure how much you can do without magic, but we can figure it out as we go. alright?"

"yep!"

"part of your job will be to take care of raven, because she knows you. you cant talk to her, and when she talks to you pretend to understand."

"why?"

"we don't want to scare her."

"of what?"

"nevermind." pipe wasn't finished. she didn't really want togo down this rabbit hole. "ok, so get all your stuff in your area and get it organized, i have an important promise to fulfill."

"what?"

"a duty to my overlord. i don't want to suffer the consequences of failing."

"who?"

"onyx, of course. word of advice, never offend a cat." pipe started laughing, echo forced herself not to smile.

"im serious. fear cats. if you cant keep them your friends, you will be judged. and your stuff will be knocked over." 

"so we play now?" onyx asked.

"yep. chase the feathers."

"im not stupid." 

"clearly." echo jolted the toy, and onyx pounced, but echo jerked it away. onyx chased the feathers all over, to pipes amusement. 

"alright, are you tired."

"no..." onyx hid her yawn.

"ok, well can you help pipe?"

"id rather play."

"she needs you to watch her. without your judgement she'll never get anything done." echo winked at pipe, who looked confused.

"alright, if you really need me to. you owe me."

"thanks." echo walked over and whispered to pipe,

"shes really tired, just let her sleep, i need to go talk to your parents." pipe nodded, and echo left.

"slate, eden?"

"yes?"

"will you come with me? i need to speak to you in private."

"ok." they looked nervous. echo lead them into the caves.

"is something wrong?"

"with pipe or raven?"

"either."

"well, pipe is going to be my assistant, i don't thinkanythings wrong but id feel better if i monitored her. she thinks shes just helping me. but i wanted to talk to you about raven."

"is she ok?"

"well, shes no worse, but she wont get better." she cut of the beginning of vocalization. "unless. i found a way to help her."

"so why isn't she better?"

"because i need frost and china to help."

"why wont frost help?"

"well, to make the fountain powerful enough to heal her mind, balance and peace needs to be restored between the lions and the wolves. and nobody wants to belive me."

"we'll belive you!"

"good, we're trying to get as many people to make peace as possible. so far, I've only got galaxy, and only because shes trying to manipulate me. but its better than nothing."

"ok, what do we do?"

"try and convince the pups. you cant go to meetings, or at least not both of you, because it would be to noticeable. if one of you can slip away that would work."

"ok, how will this help raven?"

"hopefully with enough support, frost and china will just agree to make peace."

"and that will heal raven?"

"it should strengthen all the magic, including the fountain, which should heal her.

"ok. when is the next, er, meeting?"

"tomorrow night. im meeting with a lion in the day, and that night one of you can come with me and maybe pipe to meet galaxy and hopefully her freind/rival/probably cousin lemon."

"ok..." ah, they had misgivings about involving pipe.

"pipe will be fine. besides, if the lions attack, i have magic." they nodded, but their eyes shouted concern and skepticism. she ignored it and nodded at them before walking away.

"hey, pipe! i mean, hey pipe." she whispered the second time, glancing at the sleeping form of onyx, whos ear twitched with a lot of judgement. she had woken her up. onyx pretended to be asleep, and soon relaxed again. pipe stifled her giggling.

"we should be very careful, her highness is not to be disturbed." pipe wasn't able to contain herself and burst out with laughter. onyx gave up and stood, glaring cat judgement at both of them and walking away with dignity.

"sorry, onyx. lets go so she can sleep."

"ok. where are we going?"

"ah... well, i can practice with my knife and bow, and you can try and learn it, and i was told to try talking to wild animals. you can try to catch some, i guess."

"ok." onyx eyed them.

"yes, yes. we're going now." onyx turned and ignored them. she smiled at pipe and tiptoed out, pipe following. they broke into a run outside the door, ignoring questioning stares and smiling. 

"right... what should... we... do... first? wait, nope... first we should... catch our breath." pipe nodded, not even trying words. they paused.

"alright, so, what should we do first?"

"i wanna catch animals!"

"alright, don't kill them."

"i wont, my bite will just paralyze them."

"how long will that last?"

"only as long as needed."

"ok. have at it, i suppose. should i stay here or try and catch some mice?" she didn't want to be responsible for pipe getting lost. though she could probably find her way back by smell, better safe than sorry.

"stay here."

"ok, but just call or howl if you need help."

"i wont!" before echo could reply, pipe ran off. she sat there, slightly anxios. within ten minute, pipe ran back carrying a limp rabbit, she saw blood at the neck.

"is it ok?"

"yes, just a quick bite."

"alright..." she took the rabbit and healed the bite. it jumped up, about to run off.

"wait!"

"what?"

"are you ok?"

"yes, run! there's a wolf!"

"she wont hurt you any... shes gone. im sorry she bothered you. would you like me to get you an apple?"

"yes."

"ok, stay in the general area, ill be right back." oops she hadn't realized healing it would wake it up. she walked out of sight and turned into an owl, because if the rabbit saw her it might freak out. she flew to the orchard and grabbed one of the apples that didn't really have side effects and returned quickly.

"hello? rabbit? are you there?"

"yes. is that an apple?"

"yep. its magical, but doesn't do much and all the effects wear off, and they are either neutral or good."

"ok."

"you look familiar."

"so do you."

"were you... did you recently almost get killed by an eagle?"

"yes, were you the one that tried to kill me?"

"i didn't try to kill you, i tried to see you, healed yourleg, and got into a fight with the eagle during which i almost died."

"you were going to kill me yourself but i escaped!"

"no, i wouldn't have healed you if i had. but anyways, you came from that general direction if you don't know the way home." the bunny hoped off. within moments, pipe returned with a pine martin and a red squirrel.

"aww! can i see the squirrel?" pipe nodded and dropped them. "probably hide, they're afraid of you. echo healed the squirrel.

"help! im alive?"

"yes. you're really cute."

"no im not, im feirce!"

"awww.... i mean, yes. you strike terror in my heart." the squirrel smiled selfsatisfiadly. 

"finally, respect."

"there's a cat in the woods now, by the way. it will probably be a hunter, you should be careful."

"hah! im not afraid of cats!" the squirrels tail quivered. "i have to get back to my den."

"ok, goodbye." the squirrel ran off. echo collected the pine martin.

"hello."

"wolf!"

"its ok, you're safe."

"who are you?"

"my name is echo."

"you look big. wolves arent a problem for you then?"

"no."

"you may not be afraid of the wolves, but you should be afraid of the other things."

"what other things?"

"they smell like someplace hot and strange animals. they're huge, they look kind of like bobcats but without markings. one of them has a lot of furaround his face. they took a wolf out of the forest."

"what?!"

"yes."

"what wolf?"

"grey and brown, he didn't act like most wolves."

"that might have been forest. what color was the lion with a lot of fur around his face?"

"blonde. he was bigger than the rest."

"that was china... run as far from where you saw him as possible. or leave this forest altogether. there's a different forest outside."

"you know him?"

"not well."

"i have to go. goodbye."

"bye." the martin ran off and pipe ran in.

"china did what?"

"go back to the cave. now. i don't know exactly, ill find out soon."

"but-"

"no. run back and stay in the cave." she turned into an owl and flew directly back.

"frost!"

frost looked up. "we were just about to go hunting. can it wait?"

"yes, but you'll want to hear it now."

"what is it?"

"a pine martin saw china in the forest-"

"what?!"

"forcing forest to the savannah."

"what?! this is war!"

"no. don't do anything. we don't know whats going on and it would be better to investigate. i can find out, at the very least a little more."

"that was an act of war."

"technically forest was just a wolf. and if we can avoid destroying the world that would be great."

"how long do you need?"

"i don't want a deadline."

"fine. i want to know exactly whats going on and if my wolves are next."

"understood."

wow. my day just flashed before my eyes! when you work on something on and off ti will just say that the page has expired and you cant post it, so I have to go back. i accidentally hit the backpage twice, so it went to far. i almost lost all that(again) and I've been working all day. so I had fortunately copied it just in case and out of a good habit, and it saved everything. (except what I said about my overlord cat)

on Jun. 8 2021 at 12:45 am
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

good news: im starting 2 new series probably. one solo, and one a cowrite(hopefully. its going to be she does a post I do a post, and probably hectic and confusing, and she hasn't actually agreed yet)
the one I'm doing solo is called Sparrow, sorta like interwoven wolves if echo wasn't depressed and possibly had anxiety and more friends. and friends at all(for now. I'm planning on killing one already, something else happening to the other, and the third is a possible love interest. neither of them will actually say anything, but ill drop little things like Suzeme being jealous occasionally and him... actually I'm not sure what social cues he has, hes really shy.) oh yeah, and I used actual names! mostly... suzeme is just a letter off from the Japanese word for sparrow. but ryn, ciaran, and poppy are real names. oh yeah, and I was finally able to do a racially diverse story!echo was supposed to be asian, but galaxy was white so it didn't work. and with short stories I don't include descriptions often, its not the important thing. but suzeme, the main character, is Japanese, ciaran is white, poppy is celtic(which i do consider a subrace), and ryn is of African descent(its unclear where she came from, they're sorta birds so they could be from anywhere that speaks English)
as for the hopefully cowritin series, I don't know what it will be yet, but I made an account for it, and since I'm not sure what it will be yet the name is still uncertain, but I commented with that account of wolvesrains poem reality games. and I do have some ideas to discuss with her, including an absolute favorite, so it might be something to do with snow and blood called Red Winter. but I dont know yet, at the moment shes on vacation so I dont even know if we're doing it. more details maybe following, no promises.

on May. 13 2021 at 8:12 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

so bad news. ater 12 was denied, and I had already been slowing down anyways, I just kinda... stopped. i still love echo, but I just don't really feel a push to dive back in.
i will write other stuff, maybe not such long series because its hard to keep up the devotion, and honestly as soon as I realized this would be more than one or 2 seasons I kinda saw it coming.
goodish news, you get to know everything else I was planning in a flash. so, theywere going to officially make peace with the lions, and then next season echo as going to find out who her real family was.... and her sister: GALAXY! no, she isn't related to frost. anyhow, the sun and moon are still out of balance, so shes kinda trying to figure it out and that leads her to try and discover why the lions have less people and lionsoccasionally disappear. galaxy knows something but she wont say. so eventually she finds out china is kidnapping lions and sacrificing them to death(that's what he did with forest), and he would do it to wolves too, but he doesn't want to get caught. he made a deal with death, if he brought death enough lionwalkers and other magically charged people for death to make a presence as one of the natural elements(like sun and moon, so it would have a race like wolf or lion walkers and maybe a host), it would be more powerful than the sun, the moon, and the wind. it would give china loads of power. echos and galaxs mom knew and tried to sneak them away. she got echo awayut when she tried to save galaxy she was caught, she left galaxy a note or something explaining(so galaxy knows who echo is which is why she was more loyal to echo than the lions). so echo tells frost and they go confront china, who is with death and just sacrificed another victim, maybe equinox. so they fight, frost because if she can get ri of him it could bring balance and benift the wolves, echo because galaxy and balance and stuff, and galaxy is just stupid sick of her dad killing her friends. so china gets one more victim- galaxy. by the time echo and frost get there, its to late. frost gets angry when she sees how hurt echo is and bites china, using him to kill him. acaica takes over. end of season 3. final season, season 4, echo is fed up with everything. she lost literally everything an just accepted it. but now she lost her best friend and sister and she has had it. she becomes the villain of season 4. by the time she sees what shes done, its to late. she feels like there's no turning back. she only has onyx, pipe is back home and stuff. so she keeps getting cornered and forced to fight or found in bad circumstances that it looked like she caused. so things spirl out of control. eventually, shes saved and for the final few posts, the wind tells her and symphony to come into the windstone and eet with it- it can bring back true balance. and then she finds out, talking o it... the price is two lives. hers and symphony. she feels really guilty about what happened so she agrees. frost reluctantly kills her. she and symphony become constellations, and sometimes, if you listen close to the wind, you can hear them whispering. echo at night, symphony by day. even tho technically echo is sun side and more technically she isn't. the benefits are immense. the magics true power was restored, they can travel freely to earth and back, the world knows the truth about them. anyway, I was going to do a sequel series about pipe, who has dissociative identity disorder bc of the fyre incident. during that, she would deal with echos death. she would also be closer to frost(this is years later, shes in high school)... and then I would kill frost. i didn't have all the details planned yet tho.

on May. 13 2021 at 7:24 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

on Apr. 28 2021 at 5:11 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

mislabeled. this is 11