Interwoven Wolves (4) | Teen Ink

Interwoven Wolves (4)

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

Previously: After Frost showed her a bunch of magic guarded by the wolves, including a mazelike cave system guarding a plate controlling the weather, sun, and moon, she took her to essentially a monthly wolf holiday(howling at the moon on a cliff). but a wolf made it so she couldn't speak and tossed her off. she landed on a ledge, and Secret decided to let a giant eagle grab her and then take her from the eagle when it got over the land. she couldn't disagree but she found a cave behind it and entered to hid from the giant eagles.

well, try and loose giant eagles on her now. she glanced back at the corridor. what was past this? she didn't really think she wanted to know. bats maybe, or a bear. or... a way out. if she could escape into the forest, she could run away and they would never find her... it was dangerous... but the alternative was maybe getting carried by a giant eagle to the top of the cliff... or maybe becoming its next meal. "what do we do? Frost,  shes your responsibility." "I have no... did she fall off? she cant scream if she did." "oh. if so shes dead." "yep. ill go check, just in case." did frost really care so little? frosts voice penetrated her mind, reminding her of how frost saw death, and how different they were. wow. but she also knew what frost would find at the bottom. nothing. not that it mattered... unlessshe could escape out these caves. sh had the choice now, to enter or to go back out. she could hum, her voice was returning. but seriously. if she had a real chance out, and her life hung in the balance, she most definitely had to go thru the tunnels, maybe they led out. she sighed and went into the darkness. it was empty, fortunately. but it was eerily familiar... she just didn't know why. after a ways she got nervous and decided to go back to the ledge, but when she turned around she was surrounded by a ton of corridors. maybe that was what was so familiar. it was as confusing as the caves behind the wolf cave. she wasn't sure whether to go at random or... wait... just like the caves behind the wolves... had she just got lost without an escort in them? ohhhhh noooooooooooo! she was so dead! well, she already was... and it wasn't like anyone would care... except at the loss of their test subject. she started running frantically from hall to hall until she found the plate. oh good, Secret would come here and... then she would have to explain herself... no. she turned back, maybe she could get out herself? or find a way into the forest? she ran again from hall to hall, but she never hit a dead end, only a series of infuriating loops. she had to go back to the plate... but she didn't know where. s she just stopped. there was no purpose in continuing. she just had to surrender. she was so insignificant, out of control. shehad no power over anything anymore, except maybe when she died. why did she even bother? it was time to just give up. so she just let go of everything. if she couldn't do anything, she could just do nothing. if nothing else, her final weeks would be spent in peace. or days, by the looks of it. but she still wanted to know what the mark meant... if nothing else, she wanted to know what she was dieing for. but what was there to do now? well, maybe she could find a clue somewhere in here... she sighed and got up, walking slowly, barely watching where she was going, until she ran into a wall. "Echo! i know you'd be here." "Frost?" "Yeah, after I couldn't find your body I remembered that the tunnels connect to a ledge, and realized you must have ended up here. without an escort." "well, would you want to be carried by a giant eagle?" "it was a way out." "speaking of ways out, can we go?" "yeah." Frost led her to the wolf cave where Secret waited. "you were right. well done, frost." "thanks. Echo, you should get some sleep, you were robly awake all night and i have to go to school and sort out making sure no search parties end up in the woods." wow, frost was callous. she resntfully went to the corner she had sat in yesterday, now filled with moss, and laid down. even tho it was insanely uncomfortable, she fell asleep instantly. she dreamt of her mark, surrounded by smoke. at the end of the dream, all the smoke went in her and she woke up. it had been telling her something, bt she couldn't remember what. only a poem.

so i said that this time might be a poem, but things got complicated, so not this time. maybe next time will be a sort of journal entry from echo in poem form. hm... maybe occasionally ill cut to journal etries in various styles to break it up. on second thought, the only poem will be what she finds out.

also, these characters are so uncooperative! i had plans for them, but then they went and took over my story. turns out i didn't know so much about them, and then i learn it and it dashes my plans. and yes, writing does that. so they better sort themselves out or behave, bc apparently they wont let me and from the looks of it they wont do it themselves either.

on Apr. 27 2021 at 10:11 pm
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

thanks!

Lydiaq ELITE said...
on Apr. 27 2021 at 8:33 pm
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

Great work!