Blackberry Pie | Teen Ink

Blackberry Pie

January 5, 2021
By BookwormS BRONZE, Grantsburg, Wisconsin
BookwormS BRONZE, Grantsburg, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was separated from my future by a few inches of wood. I could hear chaos from within, fighting that was determining how my life would go. I could step in and… And what? What would I even do or say? I wouldn’t be able to do anything. I have no choice in the matter. Even though they are discussing my future, I can’t do anything about the outcome. Even if this whole ordeal is my fault.

~~~~

A few weeks ago, I ran out of blackberries while making a pie. I knew I wasn’t supposed to leave the house alone, (Especially right before a festival, when there were so many strangers around.) I made a foolish choice and went out to the forest to collect more blackberries. I didn’t even put on a proper dress, or hat, or anything. I just grabbed a basket and headed out in my indecent house clothes.
I had almost collected all of the berries I needed when I heard something up in a nearby tree. I paused, cautious. Looking up, there was nothing visible in the tree, so I continued picking. Finally, when I was satisfied with the number of berries I had, I started making my way back to the house. As I passed the tree from before, something dropped behind me, like it had fallen out of the branches.
I turned, startled, finding a tall figure behind me. Dropping my basket of berries, I ran. I twisted and ducked as I avoided branches and bushes. Somehow I tripped and strong arms caught me before I hit the ground. I looked up at my rescuer, his deep green eyes filled with an intense protectiveness and brown hair falling into his face. Suddenly he dropped me and as I lay on the ground, stunned, I heard laughter. In the branches of a tree, I spotted another man, with short golden hair and an arrogant expression on his face. I quickly stood up, backing away from the two strange men. The one in the tree hopped down and strode toward me. I stumbled away, backing myself against a tree. The dark-haired one put his hand on the other one’s chest, effectively stopping him. I turned and ran as fast as I could, the rest of the way home.
I didn’t tell anyone about what had happened, knowing there would be dire consequences if my father found out. I couldn’t even risk telling Sissy, my maid/best friend. Father had always been overprotective of me, especially before and during a festival. Every time I left the house either he or an approved chaperone would accompany me. I had to dress in strange clothes that made me look less desirable or even ugly.
~~~~
A week or so after that afternoon I left the house again. I was in the market with one of Father’s approved chaperones. We were on our way to the bakery, to get some bread. When we were walking past the other shops, I paused, spying a beautiful necklace in one of the windows. The delicate silver chain held a light blue stone the size of a blueberry surrounded by tiny diamonds. Then I felt a presence close behind me and turned around. I looked up at the tall male before me. He once again had an arrogant expression on his tanned face, his golden hair gleaming in the sunlight.
“Here’s the woman who’s going to carry my children. Didn’t I tell you I’d find her again?” He said, haughtily.
I felt my cheeks heat, partly with anger. Another man walked up to the golden-haired man’s side, cloaked.
“I am deeply sorry for my companion's rude behavior. I would say that it will never happen again, but I can make no promises when it comes to Aedan,” said a voice from under the hood. Aedan scowled and grabbed the man’s hood, pulling it back to expose the face of my rescuer from the forest.
I immediately curtsied, “Thank you.” I stayed low but tilted my head to look up at their faces. The cloaked male had an innocently shocked expression on his face, while Aedan was smirking down at me. I quickly stood back up and fixed the wrinkles in my skirt.
I looked back up at the male’s faces before giving a much smaller curtsy and walking away. I could feel their eyes on me until I entered the bakery, where my escort was waiting.
As I left the bakery, I looked around, praying that Aedan and the other male would be gone. Thankfully Aedan was nowhere to be found, although his “companion” was lurking around. I tried to sneak past him, but somehow he saw me. He had a hopeful expression on his face, like a puppy. I noticed that he held something in his right hand that glinted in the late afternoon light. He approached me slowly and held out his hand. As he got closer I realized that he was holding the necklace I had been eyeing earlier.
“Why do you have this?” I asked, a bit scared.
He looked down at his feet, as if embarrassed. “I bought it. For you,” He mumbled.
“Why?” I examined the necklace in his enormous palm.
“I wanted to apologize. For frightening you in the woods. And for Aedan. I know he can be a bit of a… I mean he makes a lot of assumptions when it comes to women, but he’s just young and-”
I took the necklace from his hand, brushing his fingers as I did so. “Will you put it on me?” I unclasped the back and held it up to him. He took it, gently, and I turned around. He carefully put his arms in front of me, and fixed the necklace, keeping almost a foot in between us as he did so. I stepped away and turned back, so I was facing him again. I held the jewel in my hand, looking down at it.
“It matches your eyes,” he said, softly. “I mean, It’s- It’s the same blue as your eyes. A really beautiful shade of blue. Not that I’m saying your eyes are beautiful. Or that they aren’t! I just mean-”
I laughed. “Thank you for the necklace. And for catching me in the woods.” I gave a slight curtsy, grinning, and walked back home.
When I got home, I immediately went to find Sissy. When I did and had successfully dragged her to my bedroom, I told her about what had happened a week ago and earlier today.
“What’s your prince charming’s name?” She asked, giggling.
“My what?”
“You know! Your Prince Charming! He saved you in the woods and bought you a necklace! Next, he will sweep you off on his steed to live happily ever after!” She squeals. And we both are lost in a fit of giggles.
“But wait.” I stop laughing. “I don’t even know his name. And I never told him mine! How will we find each other?”
“True love!” Sissy sighed before giggling again.
~~~~
A few nights later, as I was laying in bed I heard a tapping, like a tree branch was hitting my window. I looked out the one closest to my bed, but there was nothing there. I heard more tapping, so I went to the next window. There, perched on the windowsill like a bird, was my “Prince Charming.” I quickly unlatched the window and let him in.
“What are you doing here?” I asked in a whispered yell. “This is improper! If my father finds out-” He stopped me with a kiss. Not like a real kiss, but the kind you do when you’ve never kissed before. It was enough to shut me up though.
“I just had to do that before tomorrow.”
“What’s tomorrow?” I was very confused.
“Tomorrow Aedan is going to ask for your hand in marriage.” He spoke as if it had already happened. As if I was already forbidden to him.
“Why? We don’t even know each other!”
“When he wants something he goes for it. And he wants you.”
“Well, I don’t want him. He’s a creep.”
“What do you want then?” He asked, a mischievous look in his eyes.
I pushed him a little. “I don’t even know your name.”
“Farran.”
“Farran,” I repeated his name, his eyes hypnotizing me with their intensity.
“And what should I call you?” He smiled.
“Sylvi.”
“Sylvi.” He repeated my name as I had his, but his voice put a hidden depth into it.
“Why don’t you ask Father for my hand?” He just studied my face for a while, as if making sure I was sincere.
“Yes.” That was all he said before practically leaping out of the still open window.
~~~~
I can’t believe that they are trying to decide which is the better match. Deciding it without even asking my opinion. And I definitely had an opinion on this matter. There was no competition. The sound of three men arguing cut off abruptly. Are they finished? Have they finally decided on my future? I suddenly didn’t want to know anymore. I was struck with fear. What if my father picked Aedan? What if Farran doesn’t like me? What if we get to know each other and he hates me? Or I hate him? What if I spend the rest of my life unhappy?
The door to my future started to open and I fled. I sprinted to my bedroom, locking the door behind me. My heart was racing and I couldn’t breathe. I kept gasping for air, breathing heavily, but I just couldn’t get enough. My heart kept pounding, seeming to get faster and faster. Tears were streaming down my face. Without warning, there was a pounding at my door.
I quickly tried to clean up my face and look presentable. Opening the door, my father was standing in front of me.
“Hello, Father,” I said and dipped into a curtsy.
“Stand up, girl! I have exciting news for you!”
“Yes, Father. What is it?” I straightened up and hoped it really was exciting.
“Two wonderful young men have asked for your hand in marriage.” I almost snorted. Wonderful indeed.
“After long and careful consideration, I have chosen. But I thought that you might want to see your suitors before I tell you.”
“No, Father. Please just tell me.”
“How rude. You won’t even send off the poor heartbroken man who loses a chance to be with such a wonderful young lady as you?”
“Of course I will, Father.”
“Good girl. Now let’s go.”
I followed my father out to the entryway. When I saw Farran I smiled and absentmindedly touched the necklace he gave me.
“Curtsy, girl. You are in the presence of men.”
“Yes, Father.” I sunk into a low curtsy and slowly straightened.
“This is Aedan,” Father said, gesturing to Aedan, who sunk into a bow.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you again, fair maiden,” Aedan said.
“Likewise,” I said, though I wanted to gag at all of his fakenesses.
My father cleared his throat, ending the glaring contest between Aedan and me. “And this is Farran.”
Farran bowed so low, he almost hit the floor and said, “I am deeply honored by your presence, My Lady.”
I curtsied almost as low. “It is I who is truly honored.” I giggled quietly.
“And might I say, that necklace is absolutely astonishing on you?” He said with a secretive smile.
“You may.” I smiled widely and touched the middle gem. “It was a gift from someone almost as astonishing.”
“Almost?” He pretended to look hurt. I laughed, not able to hold it back anymore.
My father gave me a pointed look and I stepped back to his side, ever the silent and obedient daughter.
“We all want to know who I’ve picked to be the lucky man who gets to marry my radiant daughter.” I nodded, eagerly praying to who or whatever is up there that my father made the right choice. I looked at Farran, who had that puppy look on his face again. Aedan was looking at me like I was already his.
“I chose…” He paused for far too long, grinning. “Farran!”
Everyone froze for a moment, then everything exploded. I jumped up, giddy with excitement, running to Farran. At the same moment, Aedan attacked.
He lept the distance between them, teeth bared, and aimed for Farran’s exposed neck. I froze as my excitement quickly turned to fear. Farran ducked, moments before Aedan would have torn through his throat. Aedan kept attacking him, Farran keeping on the defensive side. Aedan’s blows were messy, induced with rage; but it also made them stronger. It didn’t seem like Aedan had ever lost what he claimed was his. Farran ducked and weaved around the room, just milliseconds faster than Aedan. Farran seemed focused on the fist hurtling his way, the candlestick Aedan acquired unnoticed. Aedan’s reach became longer with the newfound weapon, the candlestick hitting Farran on his right temple. Farran stumbled for a moment, and fell, his nose hitting the nearby table. I heard a sickening crunch. Aedan then shoved Farran so he was lying on the ground, and continuously struck his face. Farran put his arms up, attempting to block his face. The thought that Aedan might never stop took over my mind. Before I had time to think I had already placed myself between Aedan’s fists and Farran.
“Aedan.” His name came out like a plea, as I covered Farran, protecting him with my own body. Aedan froze, a look of shock on his face. It was soon replaced with anger. I didn’t care how angry Aedan was. I gave him a slight push, and he got off of Farran. I immediately started examining him, searching for serious injuries. I avoided looking at his face, afraid to see the damage Aedan had inflicted.
“Are you okay?” He managed to say. I stopped for a moment, stunned, then laughed.
“Am I okay? I’m not the one who just got the crap beat out of them!”
Farran grabbed my wrist and I looked at his face, flinching. “Are you okay?” He asked again, his voice and eyes filled with a lethal rage.
“I’m fine. He didn’t touch me, I promise.” He let out a sigh of relief, then winced. His nose was bent at an unnatural angle and his bottom lip had split open. There was blood leaking from both. He was lucky, there was very little damage compared to what could have happened. I looked up and saw Sissy standing near me with medical supplies. I motioned for her to bring them to me. Without speaking, I started dabbing at the blood on his face with a wet cloth.
“We’re going to have to call in a doctor. I don’t know how to fix a broken nose.”
“Yes, right away,” Sissy said quietly, then hurried out the door.
Farran shifted, pushing away my hand. “I can clean myself up, you know.”
~~~~
A few weeks later, Farran’s nose had finally healed and Aedan had either accepted his loss or found someone else. Farran and I were finally getting married. My dress had a pastel pink base, with a mesh layer of white over top. Small pink and white flowers were arranged on the skirt and around the waistline. The bodice was backless and the front split a few inches above my navel. My hair flowing down my back and my head topped with a flower crown matching my skirt. The same flowers were in a bouquet, kept together by a white ribbon. Sissy, frantically making sure that I looked perfect was by my side. I was wearing the necklace from the market, though it drove Sissy crazy because it didn’t match. My father walked in and smiled at me.
“Are you ready?” He asked me.
I looked down at my gown, remembering what had happened to get me here. Remembering the blackberry pie that had started all of this. I touched the jewel of my necklace, thinking of my husband to be. I smiled.
“Yes.”