Rotten Apples | Teen Ink

Rotten Apples

May 15, 2019
By phoebeodom BRONZE, Paris, Tennessee
phoebeodom BRONZE, Paris, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different"
-Coco Chanel


In a castle on the tip-top of a mountain, lived a girl with hair as black as night and skin white as fresh fallen snow. She lived with her evil stepmother known as Mirella or the Queen. The girl tried her best to love the queen, but the Queen could not replace her father or her real mother. The girl knew the kingdom was doomed. People were in poverty and money was being taken from them by the second. She knew she could not do anything, she was powerless against the Queen. The girl was forbidden from leaving the castle at all times. The Queen looked down on her as innocent and unworthy of ever ruling the kingdom. The girl knew the kingdom was hers and will be one day.

“Snow White,” yelled the Mirella impatiently. Snow White came skipping down the stairs. She told Snow White that she was hosting another party and inviting surrounding kingdoms. Snow White nodded and smiled. She turned around and made her way to her room. She had a grim look on her face. She knew that the kingdom could not afford another party. She looked through her window and down at the kingdom, barely visible too her.

She said to herself, “I am going to help my kingdom and take back what is mine.”

She heard the Queen calling to her impatiently. She quickly put on a dress for the party and went to the Queen. The Queen was sitting on a throne of gold while watching people dance. Snow White snuck up on her, startling the Queen a little bit.
“There you are. I need you to go woo some of the princes from Cambia,” said the Queen with a stern look on her face.

“But Mother, I do not wish to dance with them. They are quite rude and handsy,” said Snow White.

“I do not care. If you do not listen to me I will never let you leave the castle. The King would have wanted you to do it, especially if it was for the kingdom,” the Queen said with an annoyed tone.

Snow White nodded and walked up to the dance floor. She noticed a fellow looking at her. The mask that covered his face hid his true identity. She started dancing with one of the princes from Cambia. She had just learned the traditional dance of the kingdom, so she kept messing up and stepping on his feet.

“Could you not step on my feet. You are going to ruin my perfect condition gold shoes that probably cost more than you,” he said cooly. She did not know what to say or do. So, Snow White did the first thing to pop into her mind. She slapped him straight in the face. Everyone in the crowd turned toward her. She smiled innocently and then said, “Carry on.”

She looked up at the Queen who had a scowl on her face. Snow White quickly left out the nearest door. She sat on a window sill and looked up out at her village. A tear ran down her cheak. She knew that her father would not have let the kingdom fall. She noticed a cloaked figure coming at her. It was the fellow looking at her earlier at the party.

“Why are you crying,” he asked.

“My kingdom should be mine, my father died, the Queen is stealing money, and the kingdom will not last much longer,” said Snow White.

“The name is Adrian. Why do you not just kill the Queen and take back your throne. You are the rightful owner of the kingdom,” he said.

“I am Snow White. I have thought about that but I could never physically hurt someone. It is not in my nature,” she said.

Adrian pulled out a vile of purple liquid. Snow White looked down confused.

“This is poison. If you put it in food it will cause someone to sleep forever. It works best when the poison is put into an apple,” he said in a serious tone. Snow White grabbed the poison. She looked down at it and gave a faint smile.

Snow White said, “I need to do this.”

“Then do it. Do it for your kingdom and your Father,” Adrian said.

 

The next morning Snow White woke up extra early to fix the Queen breakfast in bed. She was in the kitchen she got a needle and filled the apple with poison. She placed the apple on a tray and walked up to the Queen’s room.

“I made you breakfast to thank you for a delightful party last night,” she said with an innocent smile.

“That is odd for you. What do you want,” the Queen asked.

“Nothing, I just wanted to show you my thanks,” said Snow White.

The Queen smiled which was unusual. She took a big bite of the bright red apple. A few moments later she fell into an eternal sleep. Snow White had won and got her kingdom back. She went to the kitchen, ready for the commotion that was to come. Snow White saw an apple laying on the island in the kitchen. She looked at it picked it up and examined it. She decided to take a bite. She started to feel loopy and fell to the ground. He vision became blurry. A cloaked man appeared in her eyesight.

“What is happening,” she asked. The cloaked man magically turned into the Queen.

“You really thought you could kill me? I just doubled crossed you. Enjoy your eternal sleep,” she said with victory in her eyes.


The author's comments:

This peice is a fractured fairy tale. It is a twist on the classic Snow White!