A Day Out | Teen Ink

A Day Out

By bdgraham SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
bdgraham SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri

Once upon a time, in the Kingdom of Magane, Prince Frederick woke up to someone knocking on the door. Rael entered the prince’s room to serve him his breakfast. Rael has been Prince Frederick’s servant for longer than he could remember. He’s been more of a father than his actual father at times. Rael has this nice warm smile that always makes Frederick feel better. He has always been there for Frederick when he was down.

“Good morning, Your Highness, here is your breakfast,” Rael said as he set the silver platter down.  Frederick looked down at the silver platter. It was filled with biscuits and gravy, sausage, hash browns, and mixed berries. Rael also filled up a glass of orange juice. Frederick took his time eating his breakfast. Breakfast has always been his favorite meal. He uses that time in the morning, when the sun is just coming over the hills and horizon of the kingdom, to think. He thinks mostly about life and how he thinks the day will go. After he had finished his meal, he was preparing to get dressed in his fancy clothes, when there was a knock on the door.

“Your Highness,” Rael opened the door, “Your father would like to speak with you in his study as soon as you are finished with your breakfast.”

“Thank you, Rael,” Frederick sighed, “I’ll be there shortly.” Rael was about to exit the room when Frederick spoke up again, “Rael.”

“Yes, Your Highness,”

“Is he in a good mood?”

“You know how your father is, Frederick,” he smiled sympathetically, “always working.” Frederick smiled, not fully happy with his answer.

“Thank you, Rael.”

Meanwhile, in town, Lewie, a very short, stubby, and thumb-like creature, is just going into the commerce to get his breakfast. Because he is so small, it’s easy for him to sneak in and steal a loaf of bread and an apple. He usually doesn’t get caught which is a good thing because that’s all he gets to eat all day. He zigzagged through the crowd and nonchalantly picked up and apple off a cart followed by a loaf of bread. He then found an alleyway and sat down to avoid the people. He ate with his head down so his uncontrollable brown hair covered his unattractive face, and listened to the hustle and bustle of the commoners. Lewie likes to listen to everything going on in the commerce because he doesn’t have a family or any friends, so he likes to love through their conversations.

Back at the palace, Prince Frederick finally made it to his father’s study. He stood at the doors and took a deep breath as he nodded at the two servers, Demetri and Fiken, to signal he was ready to enter. The big wooden doors opened up to a big office with a figure sitting in a big chair behind a desk. Behind his father, on the wall, were pictures of wanted criminals on the bulletin board. Every week there is a new criminal up, but one warlock, Jef Blumann, had been on the board for a month.

“Good morning, father,” He tried to hold his composure. The sight of his father sitting in his black chair, contrasting with his pale blue skin makes Frederick feel small and unimportant. “What was it that you wanted to tell me?”

“Good morning, Frederick,” he speaked without looking up, “I was told you have exceeded your tutor's expectations in your classes this week.” He continued to work.

“That is correct, father.”

“Well, as a reward you may go out into town,” Frederick catches his father’s eye, “without a guard.” Frederick smiles and was about to thank his father, but he wasn’t finished yet. In a stern voice he added, “You must wear your cloak and be back by dinner.” He finished and Frederick nodded.

“I understand, sir. Thank you.” Frederick bowed and left the office. Once the doors shut behind him, he exhaled, not realizing he had been holding his breath the whole time. He took one more deep breath before he continued down the hall to the hidden door of the palace. The hidden door is used when anyone in the castle has to go out into town without being noticed by the commoners. Its located in the back of the castle, hidden in a corner. Frederick threw on his navy cloak and pulled up the hood as he went out into the warm sun.

Frederick always loved going into town. He got to see what his people are up to and see how his kingdom is from a commoner’s point of view. From previous outings, Frederick learned that people don’t like his father as their king and he feared that if Frederick is anything like his father, then he won’t be loved either. The kingdom was just as loud and chaotic as usual. He kept his head down as he walked so he didn’t get caught but every once in a while looked up slightly so he could see where he was going. As he looked up he saw a small figure hiding in the alleyway and made a beeline for him.

“Hey,” He said as he sat down next to him. The figure immediately turned his head away so I couldn’t see his face. They sat in an awkward silence for a few moments. He eventually abandoned his apple core and ate his last bite of bread. “I’m Fred. What’s your name?” He slowly turned his head to look at Fred. He had crazy brown hair and big brown eyes.

“I’m Lewie.” he responded shyly, “why are you talking to me?”

“I thought you looked lonely, and I want someone to talk to, too.” Fred really wanted someone to talk to, someone he trusts and he was hoping Lewie could be that person. “Tell me about yourself Lewie.”

“Me? Oh, okay, um,” Lewie stuttered not knowing where to start. “Okay, well I don’t exactly know where I came from but I am a rare species of dwarf. I don’t have a home, or a family. I live in a box under a bridge. I have no friends, and no one who cares for me,” he paused to look up at Fred. “I’m a nobody.” Lewie whispered as tears started to fall down his face. Suddenly, Fred was crying with him. Fred felt as though he has failed the people in his kingdom.

Fred told him, “I am always worried I won’t live up to my dad’s standards, but I’m scared if I do, then I won’t have any friends.” After a few moments of the boys sitting there crying, Fred smiled as they got up to walk around. As they walked around the kingdom they talked about anything and everything, from favorite color to worst nightmare. When the sun was high in the sky, Fred paid for their lunch of chips and a sandwich and they kept walking.

As they were finishing up their food, they walked back in town toward the palace. Fred doesn’t know why that’s the direction they went but he went with it. As they got closer to the palace, people started to get quiet and stare. Fred kept telling himself that they weren’t talking about him. He stayed looking down but kept his pace consistent. Lewie looked over to Fred. He thought that if Fred could be confident, then he could be too. Lewie wished he could be that confident but is always too scared he’d get beat up.

As if on cue, a big warlock stepped in front of Lewie. Fred had recognized him as a wanted criminal on a bulletin board in his father’s study. His name is Jef Blumann.

“Hey ugly face,” he was talking to Lewie, “what are you doing over here? You don’t belong in these parts.” He pushed Lewie down with a shove. “Go back to your box, you freak.” At that, Fred stepped in between Jef and Lewie.

“You need to leave him alone,” Fred said, his voice full of confidence.

Jef chuckled, “Oh really, and what are you gonna do about it?”

The next thing they knew, Fred’s hand flew up and pulled back his hood, showing everyone who he really was. Fred looked over to Lewie and he was staring at him trying to put two and two together. The two of them looked over to the crowd with Jef in the front. Jef’s pale blue face dropped two shades as he dropped to his knees with the rest of the crowd. Fred turned back around and helped Lewie stand.

“Just be happy I didn’t call the guards out,” Frederick threatened as he and  Lewie walked back to the palace. Both undoubtedly knowing they each had a real friend.

As years went by, Frederick and Lewie were still best friends even after all they’ve been through. Frederick even made Lewie his personal advisor. However, Frederick’s father had just passed and it was Frederick's turn to take the throne. “Prince” Frederick was not fully ready to become “King” Frederick. However, Lewie was happy for Frederick, and he was ready to help him with anything he needed. He just knows that Frederick is going to make a great king.

This piece is about making friends and facing your fears.